Someone pulled the plug

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Someone pulled the plug

Post by Trophymuskie »

Man the Ottawa dropped like 1 or 2 feet overnight. Unreal how much lowel will it get. They must of opened the damn to let some water out but that's a lot in one night.

I got up this morning and I could see botton so I headed out to the waters edge and noticed it wasn't the clarity but the level. I can actually see bottom 20 feet out, I can see where all the weeds are and where they are not, the water is normally 3-5 feet deep on the edge here and now
who knows if it's even 3 feet deep 20 feet out.

I hope they plugged the leak and levels come back up as they were already quite low.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

I crossed the north river this weekend on foot without getting my...um...pockets..wet. Been on this river for 25 years now and its a first for me. Even got to stand and fish off a rock i used to have to swim out to...this time i walked. On the bright side, if i found cool flowing water i would also find some of the most beatifully colored smallies ive even seen :)
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Here's something a buddy sent me today..........

So with the update from the Ottawa River Authority today come some interesting facts:

1) There have only been 6 years ('87, '89, '01, '05, '06, '07) in the last 60 years on record that have had a lower water level on even one day in that calendar year in the Ottawa than we have today

2) In all 6 of those years, that 1-day yearly low was recorded in Sept or Oct

3) The AVERAGE drop in level between the month of July and Sept over the 60 recorded years was 24 Cm (or about 1 foot) So - what I surmise from this is :

1) We can expect water levels to drop about another foot (without an unusual amount of rain)

2) We should break the all-time record for low water

3) There will be one day in Sept with a historically ugly low water day

4) We should 'recalibrate' our charts - i.e. Take off about 2 ft of water from their projections to be safe!
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Yikes. Dare I say it (and it's not becasue I only got to use my new snow blower twice last winter), that we get lots of snow this winter to bring the levels back up.

I thought we were supposed to be drowning under glacier melt by now? What happened, Suzuki? But that's another debate. Archemedes law and all that.

Bah, where's my rod?
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

there is som major prob up north to..the baskatong never seen the water that lowe since the 1917 or so. :shock: .

i hope we will have snow next winter and rain..becasue if not i dont want to even think what it will look likle next year........ :shock: :? :cry:

joco.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

We will be fishing the "Ottawa Creek" next year. :( :( :(
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
HotelTango
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HotelTango »

Up here in Petawawa the river is real low as well. Dead heads are visible all over the place, some even in the main channel. The water is getting so low that people with bigger boat cannot launch at the Petawawa point and have to launch at the marina and pay the launch fee.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you.
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

In keeping with the trend on here this week;

I blame bass tourneys for low water levels!!!!
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Pike Puncher wrote:In keeping with the trend on here this week;

I blame bass tourneys for low water levels!!!!
Actually they should be responsible for higher waters, if we get all the bass organisations on the O all at the same time we may just raise the water level.

Well it hasn't gone up any, I can still see bottom.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

Might be a problem for easy target fisheries by anglers if the water level keeps getting lower...some species will school up in some parts where waters are deeper and will be in danger of severe fishing pressure.
With GPS and charts all have these days..mather of time before some light up on it.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

bb you can pm me any gps stats.....anytime. :lol:

yes tru some sepies will be piling up in some areas or bays...find it and you got an hioeney hole at least for this season. 8)

but man species will hold those for that reason.

wen i was crossing aylmer bridge last night again..i can beleive you can walk acors the river now. jesus style. :shock: :lol: :lol: .

joco
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

low water

Post by dead_weight »

I recall going up to the gouin resevoir a number of years ago and we were warned that the water levels were really low ... but we were not prepared for what we saw ... it was down something like 10-12 feet ... many bays that were normally under water were dry ... I had the dog with me and the two of us spent a few hrs walking on what would have been lake bottom ... we found over a dozen lures hooked on logs ... simply had to bend over and pick them out. Fishing was pretty easy since the walleye were schooled in 2 or 3 spots. Same with the pike. My fishing buddies were not really experienced walleye fishermen but they were coming in with stringers of big fish almost from the get go ...
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Sorry Guys, but I have to do this! :twisted:
Upon driving across the Ottawa late last night from Ottawa to Aylmer, I made a stop along the way.
I slipped off the rocks and my leg fell into the water.
Right before my eyes " The Ottawa Rose Another Foot"!
How is that? :idea:
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Daner wrote:Sorry Guys, but I have to do this! :twisted:
Upon driving across the Ottawa late last night from Ottawa to Aylmer, I made a stop along the way.
I slipped off the rocks and my leg fell into the water.
Right before my eyes " The Ottawa Rose Another Foot"!
How is that? :idea:
Are you picking product from the farm??

LOL

I was on the O today... low... low... low... it looks a foot lower from the last time I was on about 4 weeks ago with fisherguy33...

But if you say it is rising again... only God knows what the heck the Hydro guys are doing with the dams... well... God and Joco!

Craig
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

I know, we do have a problem. My water is low throw the taps every night.
Grip and wait for rain, rain, rain and rain everywhere. Snow and lots this year everywhere. I would rather have floods than no water!!!
As far as the farm goes, no, but I know!
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!