Algonquin Virgin

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Algonquin Virgin

Post by lapointeric »

So I've read all of the Algonquin/Opeongo threads on this site and I'm now armed with some useful info for our trip, but I'm wondering if there's any more wisdom the pro's don't mind sharing....

We're going in at access point 11 Lake Opeongo, and paddling to the north arm. 6 Kayaks, 1 canoe. Most are in good shape.

Is this too ambitious? How long do you anticipate it taking us?

Essential Gear? (I think I have a good list, but maybe there's something I forgot)

Thanks!!

Eric
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

Big-Ty
Participant
Participant

Post by Big-Ty »

I'm sure they're already on your list - but I can't stress enough the importance of a compass, and a good map (waterproof).
Also, plan on drinking A LOT of water.

When I was a young pup, 4 of us set out on a 5 day trip, portaging through algonquin.
We had a pretty ambitious route planned, and about half way through, we decided that maybe we were a little too ambitious. We nearly killed ourselves on one of the bigger portages. It was only 700m, but we had to do 3 trips to get all our gear across. And we had a 1900m portage coming up the next day. So at that point we decided to take a day off, and planned a new, shorter route home.

Also, we ran out of iodine tablets on day 2 I think. So for most of the trip, we were drinking water right out of the lake. I wouldn't recommend it - we were lucky we didn't pick up a parasite. But I'd rather a little beaver fever, than dehydration. And in the middle of summer, beleive me, the last thing you want to be doing is boiling water.

Lastly - pack light! :wink:
Good luck!
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Thanks Big-Ty!

I assume I can pick up iodine tablets at Le Baron's or MEC?

I guess if there's a ban on bottles, I'll need to bring a container, and it doesn't last very long... so eventually we'll be drinking purified lake water?

Compass and a waterproof map are on the list. I'll probably also be buying a GPS. It'll be a plan-b though... more for fun than actually using it for navigation.

There's no portaging, but I think we're expected to paddle 15km... Any idea how long that might take (on average)?
Big-Ty
Participant
Participant

Post by Big-Ty »

I would assume you can get the tablets there - but I'm not sure. We actually went through a portaging outfitter in the park, and that's where we got them from. I think I've seen them at Crappy-Tire though...

Hadn't heard the no bottle rule. I know no glass bottles are allowed.
hmmm... good to know.

I, personally, would rather iodine tablets than have to lug around a case of water bottles, and a bag full of empty water bottles.
Have to bring all your garbage back with you, right?
I suppose if you have the room, you could bring one of those big blue jugs. But if it's hot, and you're doing a lot of paddling... you're going to run out of water.

Oh! I just remembered that there was a serious fire ban on when we went. So if you were planning on doing all your cooking over the fire, you might want to have a contingency plan. Or call ahead to see if there's a fire ban.

15km?? No idea how long that would take. Depends on the whether and how fast you paddle.
I can't imagine it would take that long though. Especially if you're trolling :wink:
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Bring an ax, not a hatchet.

Sharpen the ax.

Bring some parachute cord.

Put together a first-aid kit

Put all your clothing and bedding in double garbage bags.

Keep your toilet paper dry :wink:

Have fun.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

DropShot'r wrote:Bring an ax, not a hatchet.

Sharpen the ax.

Bring some parachute cord.

Put together a first-aid kit

Put all your clothing and bedding in double garbage bags.

Keep your toilet paper dry :wink:

Have fun.

DS

Lol. Thanks DS.

I was thinking a portable hand saw. re: ax

Would rope be sufficient? re: Parachute chord

First aid kit is a must - Check!

E
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

Lots of good suggestions. Here are a few more:

You should be able to average 5km an hour (casual padding pace), unless traveling into a head wind. Add time for breaks.

I suggest these over iodine tablets : http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 7819185054

These tablets kill more "stuff" and don't leave a bad taste in the water like iodine does. Flavor crystals can be added as well. It might encourage you to drink more water.

Water proof your gear! Garbage bags as suggested are okay if you are on a budget. Proper dry bags are much better. Though it is summer, so you shouldn't have to worry about hypothermia.

I prefer a saw over an ax. If weight isn't an issue (no portaging) I bring both. A cheap bow saw with a good cover for the blade is fine.

Bring a tarp.

Have fun!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I paddled Opeongo back in '83......it took us all day to get from the access point to the north arm.....and you better hope there's not much wind that day.....that lake can be brutal!! :lol: :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

RobM wrote:
You should be able to average 5km an hour (casual padding pace), unless traveling into a head wind. Add time for breaks.
I assume this is kayak speed?
RobM wrote:
I suggest these over iodine tablets : http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 7819185054

These tablets kill more "stuff" and don't leave a bad taste in the water like iodine does. Flavor crystals can be added as well. It might encourage you to drink more water.
Great call, thanks.
RobM wrote:
Water proof your gear! Garbage bags as suggested are okay if you are on a budget. Proper dry bags are much better. Though it is summer, so you shouldn't have to worry about hypothermia.
Ya, if there's 1 thing I want to invest in it's dry bags, and good rain gear.
RobM wrote:
I prefer a saw over an ax. If weight isn't an issue (no portaging) I bring both. A cheap bow saw with a good cover for the blade is fine.

Bring a tarp.

Have fun!

DONE! Thanks.

E
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

That is canoe speed. I have no experience with kayaks, so I can't comment on their speed.

Add time if:

1-your canoe is heavily loaded or it is a slow canoe (like an old town tripper or something. The rental canoes at opeongo outfitters will be fast.)
2-you are not an experienced paddler

Opeongo is a big lake. If the wind kicks up, just stay on shore. My suggestion is to paddle early in the day (as early as you can) to avoid being wind bound.

Have fun! Catch some fish!
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Trisomy21 »

yeah don't cheap out on iodine tablets or expect to find lots there, get them before you leave and get plenty. And don't forget bug spray! lol
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I would definatly bring rope, but I like a few bundles of parachure cord because you can cut it up to tie up various things and you leave your rope in one piece.

The tarp is a good idea........no.......a great idea. Get it large enough to cover a cooking/dining area in case of rain.

I agree with the waterproof bags to store stuff, it is the best option.

Take a trip to MEC and have a chit-chat with the staff.

What ever you take bow saw, ax or both please insure they have the blades firmly covered.

Make sure you spray your tents with waterproofing spray or get a small tarp to cover each tent.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
larryp7639
Participant
Participant

Post by larryp7639 »

Jigs wrote:Check it out:

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/
Such a very amazing link!

Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Algonquin Virgin

Post by Akira »

lapointeric wrote:So I've read all of the Algonquin/Opeongo threads on this site and I'm now armed with some useful info for our trip, but I'm wondering if there's any more wisdom the pro's don't mind sharing....

We're going in at access point 11 Lake Opeongo, and paddling to the north arm. 6 Kayaks, 1 canoe. Most are in good shape.

Is this too ambitious? How long do you anticipate it taking us?

Essential Gear? (I think I have a good list, but maybe there's something I forgot)

Thanks!!

Eric

I recommend you picking up one of these.. They are cheap, light, compact and oh yeah, it cuts like a charm... (right Tip-up?? :) )

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4442238013