Should the bass season open earlier?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Should the bass season open earlier?

Post by Flipper »

Should the MNR consider opening bass season earlier in eastern Ontario and the Ottawa river?

The bass have been off the nests for about three weeks here on the Ottawa river and I'm aching to get at'em. Two weeks ago today I caught a very big bass from 30 feet down in 65 feet of water while fishing for walleye. Definite post-spawn.

I really don't know what criteria the MNR uses to determine opening day but they should re-evaluate the dates in my humble opinion or, make them flexible and simply announce it at the appropriate time each year to adjust it for the changing climate.

What do you think?
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I was discussing this with one of my fishing buddies just this past weekend. We considered a few things -- namely the fact that this has been an unusually warm spring so the spawn happened earlier than 'normal'. Secondly, the MNR goes by the law of averages, and does so in order to protect the spawners and increase the fish population (to keep it a viable, flourishing population). Third, "calling an audible" on the opening day would really wreak havoc with published regulations and as such, could cause a LOT of confusion and could lead to a lot of people fishing out of season almost inadvertantly due to changing, non-printed regs. Yes, it's each persons' responsibility to read the regs and know them before heading out on the water, but if the regs changed after the initial "official" printing (which comes out waaaay before bass season opens), then one could argue that their "official" copy is what they were going by.

I fully agree though that waiting until after summer officially starts, is 100x worse than when we were kids and were waiting for Christmas morning to come around! I swear, right now I have the SHAKES, just brimming with anticipation of June 26th.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I think the opening date is fine. I heard one report that a fellow caught a big female yesterday that was full of eggs and yet to spawn.

A good compromise would be to implement a pre-spawn catch and release season like they do in NY and VT. Then the hardcore bass fishermen only have to idle for a month or spend some time targeting other species.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Todd B. wrote:I think the opening date is fine. I heard one report that a fellow caught a big female yesterday that was full of eggs and yet to spawn.

A good compromise would be to implement a pre-spawn catch and release season like they do in NY and VT. Then the hardcore bass fishermen only have to idle for a month or spend some time targeting other species.
I have read studies that say even C&R can harm a spawning fish, as it takes energy out of them, and they need every drop of energy to successfully spawn. You might not think that catching a bedding bass and releasing them back to their bed is stressful on a fish, but it certainly can be. What if that mamma was guarding fry or eggs and for the 30 seconds you pulled her away from the nest, the bluegill or other nest-raiders come by and feast? C&R be damned, that would be terrible as it would be directly attributed to targetting a bedding bass.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Todd B. wrote: I heard one report that a fellow caught a big female yesterday that was full of eggs and yet to spawn.
How did he know that?...did he open her up?..did she tell him?...people assume they know alot.

The season is fine.

RJ
Georges
Participant
Participant

Post by Georges »

No the dates are fine
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

curls wrote:I have read studies that say even C&R can harm a spawning fish, as it takes energy out of them, and they need every drop of energy to successfully spawn. You might not think that catching a bedding bass and releasing them back to their bed is stressful on a fish, but it certainly can be. What if that mamma was guarding fry or eggs and for the 30 seconds you pulled her away from the nest, the bluegill or other nest-raiders come by and feast? C&R be damned, that would be terrible as it would be directly attributed to targetting a bedding bass.
curls,

What you're describing is fishing for bass "during" the spawn. I explicitly said "pre-spawn".

The Vermont "Pre season" for bass is December 1 thru the Friday preceding the 2nd Saturday in June, C&R, artificial lures only. Personally I think the closing date might be a little close to the spawn but the intent is to allow C&R "prior" to the spawning season.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Certain watersheds could probably handle it no problem. Some might even benefit but how do you know. Overall it would certainly hurt fishing. Catching bass in spring dosen't seem right, too easy and they are not at there best. Besides we have plenty to fish for in spring.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Todd B. wrote:
curls wrote:I have read studies that say even C&R can harm a spawning fish, as it takes energy out of them, and they need every drop of energy to successfully spawn. You might not think that catching a bedding bass and releasing them back to their bed is stressful on a fish, but it certainly can be. What if that mamma was guarding fry or eggs and for the 30 seconds you pulled her away from the nest, the bluegill or other nest-raiders come by and feast? C&R be damned, that would be terrible as it would be directly attributed to targetting a bedding bass.
curls,

What you're describing is fishing for bass "during" the spawn. I explicitly said "pre-spawn".

The Vermont "Pre season" for bass is December 1 thru the Friday preceding the 2nd Saturday in June, C&R, artificial lures only. Personally I think the closing date might be a little close to the spawn but the intent is to allow C&R "prior" to the spawning season.
My bad, I misread (skimmed through it while at *cough*work*cough*.). That, in theory, could work but as you mention the dates are a bit close to the spawn in my opinion. Maybe keep bass open year-round with the exception of a spawn period between May 15(ish) to June 26(ish). C&R all year round, PERIOD. I see no reason anyone should eat a bass when there are other better-eating fish widely available (walleye, trout, etc). Replica trophy mounts are easily available and allow the prized catch to be two places (or more) at once: On a wall (or numerous walls), and in the lake for someone else to catch!
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

I don't fish bass but how would you set a prespawn season when it is water temp dependant?

It is the male that guards the nest.
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Trisomy21 »

Read something about this the other day.

"Smaller bass spawn later than larger fish, meaning their fry often don't reach the critical size to survive the winter starvation period. Plus, smaller nesting males have a very high mortality rate--the cost of reproduction--and very few survive to reproduce twice"

So better off waiting, the bass that may still be spawning right now are extremely fragile. Better to wait, plus it's just 4 days away :D
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

RJ wrote:
Todd B. wrote: I heard one report that a fellow caught a big female yesterday that was full of eggs and yet to spawn.
How did he know that..did she tell him?

RJ
What? You don't speak bass??? I see Mr Large hasn't taught you all his tricks yet :lol:
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Trisomy21 »

curls wrote:
Todd B. wrote:
curls,

My bad, I misread (skimmed through it while at *cough*work*cough*.). That, in theory, could work but as you mention the dates are a bit close to the spawn in my opinion. Maybe keep bass open year-round with the exception of a spawn period between May 15(ish) to June 26(ish). C&R all year round, PERIOD. I see no reason anyone should eat a bass when there are other better-eating fish widely available (walleye, trout, etc). Replica trophy mounts are easily available and allow the prized catch to be two places (or more) at once: On a wall (or numerous walls), and in the lake for someone else to catch!
That theory is terribly flawed anyways, the "momma" bass protecting the fry is a male...so lol
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

The spawn may be over but what is your take on catching post spawn males lingering around the nest guarding the newly hatched fry. Just something to think about—not passing judgment myself.

I fished lake st-francis last Saturday on opening day and caught quite a lots of 1-1.5 lbs largies in 2 feet of water in spawning areas. My guess is that they were the males guarding the fry.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

saskie wrote:
RJ wrote:
How did he know that..did she tell him?

RJ
What? You don't speak bass??? I see Mr Large hasn't taught you all his tricks yet :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brings to mind that commercial of the fish
with Red Green's voice telling the guy he's fishing too close to
the Hydro dam. :shock: :shock: (think I may have met that fish a
few years back while enjoying a feed of 'wild' mushrooms!! :o :o 8) )
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!