fishing line

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

fishing line

Post by cgates »

I think I may have put my fishing line on backwords its fluro is there a way to fix it
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

I take it you are referring to a spinning reel? Fluoro generally mis-behaves on spinning gear anyways, but if it is exceptionally bad it is likely on backwards. If this is the case, it has to come off.

You can wind it onto a large spool or someting else, as there is no need to throw it away. I use 14lb superline on my spinning reels with a 4ft 10lb fluoro leader. The superline lasts forever, resists twisting, and casts a mile. The leader is attached with a uni to uni connection, and I put a new on one each time out.

What size is the reel and line?
i got one!
Participant
Participant

Post by i got one! »

if you have a boat you can troll the line for a few miniuts (5) it usually works for me. floro is fussy on a spinning real make sure you use as low a diametre as possible depending on what you are doing. ie i use 8lb test for wacky rigging.

or do what pike puncher said braid to floro(leader material) works well!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

After years of using mono I decided to try fluoro on my spinning reel I use for dropshotting . I tried several brands and had the same problem with every line tried. Open the bail and the line would just start to uncoil off my reel. Several partial used spools of fluoro were tossed into the garbage can, and I vowed to NEVER but a spool of Fluoro line again.

I'm on another board and this question always gets the I love and the I hate flouor camps out in full force.............not unlike discussing taking a pic of an OOS fish in here.

It has been said that fluoro works best on 3000 series and up reels, due to the larger spool on the reel. Seagar & P-line is popular with the flouro camp.

At the start of the year I put 10lb. Fireline Crystal on my dropshot reel and use 6 & 8lb Trilene Sensation leaders.

ImageWhat's up with: If you use braid with a fluoro leader....don't use fluoro line.....gotta use fluoro leader material, it's more abrasion resistant than regular flouro lines. I thought abrasion resistance was one of flouro line's strong points. So basically the 25 dollar pack of Seagar AbrazX is no good for leader and I now have to buy a 20 dollar 25yd spool of Seagar leader material???

If you want good leader material use mono, if you want an abrasion resistant leader use Trilene Big Game.

Fluoro has become one of the best marketing schemes to come along in years. Line manufactures are pumping their pros with fluoro and the pro's are pushing this stuff every chance they get. Wide eyed fisherman are buying this crap because Kevin Van Dam said he won a million dollars using this line.

Fluorocarbon = over priced, over hyped and over rated...........

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
HaZarD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

I use Power Pro Line Green 20lb test on clear waters and i have no issues at all. Love the stuff
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I also ditched a spool of flouro line for the same reason. It flies off the spool when you don't want it to.

But, now I have good success with Flouro - leader. For downrigger rods, Mono on the spools with 10ft of Flouro leader matl on the end. For bass rods, I use braid on the spool with Flouro leader on the business end. Invisibility and toughness are the attributes, along with minimal line stretch in the braid flouro combo.

I'm convinced that the majority of flouro issues people have are with the knots. Esp the heavier flouro leader, only certain knots work. Personally, I prefer the double uni. I ran some strength trials in the garage using a digital scale, and I get >50lb knot strength with 45lb flouro leader double uni.

As for the marketing - yep, likely overdone. But my catches definitely went up when I started using flouro leader matl. Even when ice fishing, had fewer times where the line was cut at the hole by the ice.
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

Overated!?!? Fluro and new swim baits have changed pike and muskie fishing for me forever. On the ottawa...not so much...come to gin clean water and its night and day. I've gone to Seaguar full fluro on my stradic and Toro and haven't looked back. I'll keep my braid for dirty water and thick weeds but fluro definatly fills a niche.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Well I will troll with it and let most of the line out I'm not good at tieing the uni knots it always brakes
Thanks for the tips Chris
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

cgates wrote: I'm not good at tieing the uni knots it always brakes
I start with making the mono knot first. When you pull the braid knot to take out all the slack, pretend your pulling on toilet paper. Let the braid knot tighten itself up when you pull the two knots together and test the knots strength.

The double uni is best for joining like diameter lines, there are other knots out there for joining lines of different diameters.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman