couple reports

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
uglyfish
Participant
Participant

couple reports

Post by uglyfish »

well, i finally managed to get out and do a little fishing this week. On thursday me and the wifey ditched the kids and headed to the harbour for a little while to see what was happening. i was shocked to see how thick the weeds have come in, in just over a week or so! seen lots of cruising carp and a few big bass as well... they just had me drooling for opener! started tossing a big swimbait hoping a pike would be around but no takers, also tossed a crankbait in hopes of a scrappy sheepie... but again, NUTHIN! so, picked up a spinning rod and tied a small jig on and decided to try for some pannies. lots of bluegill in the area, and as one was nipping at my jig.. he took off!! i was wondering what spooked him... when i looked back down to see a nice chunk largie come out and grab the jig lol.

after a pic and release, i moved along the shore to a shallower area to look for some bedding bluegills. fished for them a bit when i spotted a nice big rockbass. pitched the jig to im and wham. managed to get 3 nice big rockies that insisted they come by for dinner. couple guys beside me were fishing for perch and caught a couple they deep hooked so they gave them to me as well, and then he caught a monster perch. easy 13" fish if not a bit more.

the wifey even got in the action after she got bored catching gobies and landed a nice rockbass too.

we packed up after a couple hours and headed home where i cleaned and cooked up my fishies! it was SO nice to have a feed of fresh fish. kids got in on that action too!

On Saturday June 19th, we had a club tourney on Lake Chautauqua in NY state. its about 2.5 hours from Hamilton. For any of you with WFN, this is the lake where the Scott Martin Challenge was filmed when he went up against Bob Izumi and Bob slayed him! the lake really looks and fishes like a kawartha lake. long narrow lake, with a deep end and a shallow weedy end. we elected to fish the shallow end for largies. it turned out to be a gorgeous day, but the fish didnt wanna play. we seen a lot of fish, but they were tight lipped. no matter what we threw, they werent interested.

we fished a tree lined shoreline in the morning and tossed jigs and senkos up under the overhangs. after tossing to a tree 20 times or so... my partner tosses a god aweful colored senko in and smashes a 5lb 9oz largie. that turned out to be our only keeper of the day lol. i managed to get a short 11" largie later in the day... along with a catfish on a senko, big pumpkinseed on a dropshot and a rockbass lol. Had 2 fish blow up on frogs in the lilypads but missed both fish. turned out we only need the one fish as everyone had a tough day that day! we beat out second place by 2 lbs lol. so we won the tourney plus big fish!

it really is a gorgeous lake, and the drive out is quite nice too. much nicer then goin through Toronto to the kawarthas. I look forward to going back there later in the season. Next week is the ontario opener. dunno where ill be saturday, likely close to home with the family. but sunday ill be up on pigeon lake for a tourney!
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Trisomy21 »

Bass season isn't open yet.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Trisomy21 wrote:Bass season isn't open yet.
It may well be where he is.

Craig
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Trisomy21 »

Not if you read "they just had me drooling for opener!" so they're deliberately catching OOS Bass, way to go!
fish and hunt
Participant
Participant

Post by fish and hunt »

While I am unfamiliar with the laws in New York State he does say that he was fishing there on saturday... so it is quite likely that down there the season was open, especially since it was a tournament.
Fish and Hunt
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Trisomy21 »

June 19th in NY, my bad! I'm probably just extremely jealous lol
I hate you OP.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Nice read....

Thanks for sharing.. 8) 8)
uglyfish
Participant
Participant

Post by uglyfish »

Trisomy21 wrote:Not if you read "they just had me drooling for opener!" so they're deliberately catching OOS Bass, way to go!
NY state has a year round season for C&R june 19th the season opens for catch and keep.

the first picture of the smaller bass, was OOS. i was NOT delibrately catching bass. it was an incidental catch. and incase someone wants to complain about catching a bass of its bed or any of that... they are long done spawning and for the most part arent even guarding fry anymore. he hiot a 1/16oz jig with a 2.5" fin S fish on it.