Yak Recomendation

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Yak Recomendation

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

Not sure if this is the right forum or not (maybe float and fly??) but I'm looking to get a kayak and I was woundering what the "Yak Fisherman" use.

Any hints or ideas on what to look for would be helpful.

Thanks.
canoedude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by canoedude »

I use a 10ft Old Town angler model - it is very light (39lbs) and stable but not very fast owing to its shape. It is a sit-in, versus sit-on-top style of kayak - of course, there are adv. and dis. to both styles, none of which I think are deal-breakers...at the end of the day, I think it boils down to personal pref. - that said, I think you'll find most guys use the sit-on-top style.

I would highly recommend sitting in/testing out whatever kayak you are thinking of buying for a good long while before taking the plunge - my seat feels great at first but I discovered that it is a back-killer after about 30 minutes; however, bringing an Obus form along (man, I'm getting old) extends my time on the water significantly. As well, make sure there is lots of potential space to outfit with extra rod-holders, fish-finder etc.

I have a lot of fun in the kayak but like any watercraft, you have to respect its limitations - wind and big water need to be approached with particular caution (obviously) - that said, the portability and ability to access small waterways is second to none. Best of all, it has forced me to simplify and do more with less - but that's just me.

Good luck,

CD
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

you got a pm.

joco

first the best thing to do is try before you buy that would be the best thing you could do for yourself.

to see if you do like it first and to see what type off kayak you would like and need.

it depend your size...your weight.

your capacity to lift it on your car or to put on a trialer or pick up bed.

your budget there some at 400$ and there some at 2500$.

paddle or peddling.?

you want long or short boat.?

what type off water you will fish..small lake and creek or big lake like ontario lakes.?

so many thing to think about before you get a boat.

but everyboat float and can bring you on water...some better tehn others...and that is why the try beofre you get unles you get a realy good deal and cant try before.

thre best is to rent a fullday..nothing better tehn be a few hors in ayak to no if you feel right in it and your back feel right and so on.

or those demo nights...at deferent store around here its all free...

or again rent one a full day..this is a good 30$ you will ever spend if you dont like it..at least you wont loose a few 100$ .

you can get a sit on top....perception search or tarpons or oceans etc.

or a peddling kayaks like an hobie

or a sit in like ex wilderness pungos or pamlicos by ex.

or a hybrid natives ultimate..i got one off those and love it.

i got one off eatch type and my ultimate is my first choice..buit this is personal

it always is.

meet us for some yak outhing you see what its all about.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

some people have 400$ kayak and have tons off fun and catch big fish. and there small and dont weight mutch and easy to carry around.

the $$ you spend those not meen more fun or more fish.

but it could meen a bit more room or more features etc.

again try is the best thing to do.

one good thing you can do is look for useds ones.....nothing like saving a 500$ on a kayak because it as a few scratch ,ho cares for scratch you will make some your first day out anyway.

good luck.

and send me a pm to see what you want i might be able to help you on this.

joco
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

canoedude wrote: - my seat feels great at first but I discovered that it is a back-killer after about 30 minutes;
CD
Memo to Bass Addict.......

There's the reason to NEVER try a Kayak... :x :x
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Sitting this one out. :wink: :wink:

Sorry guys..

Manny
Last edited by Manny on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

canoedude.

there is deferent seats in deferent kayak.

i did own a kayak that the back was killing me to and i have other kayak i am in it a fulll 6 h and feel ok.

cant put all kayak in the same basket..same as any other things...deferent quality deferent features deferent price and there deferent paddlers.

joco
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

I'm presently looking in float tube (i.e., Outcast Fat Cat), but if I had the money (wife doesn't know yet of my intention) I would consider the Outcast Prowler (maybe).

Breathable waders and also 5mm neoprene already bought for waterfowl, maybe this tube thing might get me to take my old fly-fishing gear out of the attic, instead of the other reels, etc.

Been watching some Youtube clips on float tube, looks very versatile. I'm going to try my old skubba flippers over my neopreme socks to see if they might also be re-used.

I already have a 14' aluminium boat and a 14' SportPal at home, but the idea of being able to drag a tube in the back of the truck and stop along a side road to go for a dip. Dreaming of the possibilities. That's why for me a kayak is out of the question.

8)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

flaot tube are great to. legrand.

i did post a lot off info on thos in the past.

i was supose to get one.. :oops: ..but never did...but will rent one soon (if we can) at least to try it.

there is some fishing derby just for float tubes.

this is the best flaot tube forums.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Floa ... i?forum=81

go see the boys at float paddle and fly...they no there flaot tubes and yaks.

joco
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Trisomy21 »

Another option besides kayaks are those polyethylene jon boats. They're around $500 - $700 weigh around 130lbs can throw a 6hp on them or just a trolling motor.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Thanks joco, registered and navigated the suggested Forum. Found some interesting post that provide answers to situation that I might encounter.

8)