Ottawa river = filthy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ottawa river = filthy

Post by OBD »

Been out the last couple days and just in one night I caught 2 plastic bags and saw mutiple plasters floating around.. Any body else notice this stuff floating around?
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Its all coming from Constance Bay Beach....apparently there's some serious Partying happening there lately :wink:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Same here, bunch of beer bottles, pieces of styrofoam floating, shore and islands littered with road construction cones and other crap.
Disgusting, hard to believe that people do some swimming and water sports in this.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i did yak on the ottawa river for a good 15k last week and saw nothing just found one big foam noddle..but no garbage. at least down town.

must be something around petrie ..

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i did yak on the ottawa river for a good 15k last week and saw nothing just found one big foam noddle..but no garbage. at least down town.

must be something around petrie ..

joco
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Did the city dumb billions of litres of crap in the river again this week? Seams like every time they do you find all kinds of garbage floating around.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

I caught a pretty decent sized ZipLoc baggie off Petrie Island (more like a Petri dish...), but I didn't keep it because it was under 16".

I'm more used to the Lanark Highlands, so catching plastic bags of unknown origin is just a bit out of my comfort zone, but even out here I still see empty worm containers, coffee cups, etc. So unneccessary.

Chris
PerchPredator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PerchPredator »

I was at Petrie Island this weekend and I lost count of the old beer cases I pulled off the shore.
Luckily we caught enough fish to make it worth it :D
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

What do you guys expect its a water system that goes threw the city ! As much as we complain and make fusses about it theres always going to be poeple who don't care. Let's think about it this way, If the provincial government (city of ottawa ect...) don't give a rats a** about the river dumping crap into it why should the residents.

Sad but true :?
|Dore|
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

Dore819 wrote:What do you guys expect its a water system that goes threw the city ! As much as we complain and make fusses about it theres always going to be poeple who don't care. Let's think about it this way, If the provincial government (city of ottawa ect...) don't give a rats a** about the river dumping crap into it why should the residents.

I disagree. It's not a case of governments not giving a rats butt. It's about funding. We as voters demand low taxes and smaller governments. Without funding governments (municipal, provincial and federal) are forced to allocate budgets on health care, infrastructure and national security over things like trash pickup.

Plain and simple, it's all about the people in the city not giving a rats-butt. Even trash in the city inevitably goes into the rivers via storm sewers unless it gets picked up. Government budgets aren't going to change anytime soon so the only way to clean things up is by changing people's attitudes.

And some of the worst attitudes are from fisherman leaving behind their bait tins and lure boxes and coils of mono on the shoreline. Pick up after yourself and bit of someone else's and the shorelines would look much better.

My 2 cents.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

wongrs wrote: Pick up after yourself and bit of someone else's and the shorelines would look much better.
8)
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

wongrs wrote:
Dore819 wrote:What do you guys expect its a water system that goes threw the city ! As much as we complain and make fusses about it theres always going to be poeple who don't care. Let's think about it this way, If the provincial government (city of ottawa ect...) don't give a rats a** about the river dumping crap into it why should the residents.

I disagree. It's not a case of governments not giving a rats butt. It's about funding. We as voters demand low taxes and smaller governments. Without funding governments (municipal, provincial and federal) are forced to allocate budgets on health care, infrastructure and national security over things like trash pickup.

Plain and simple, it's all about the people in the city not giving a rats-butt. Even trash in the city inevitably goes into the rivers via storm sewers unless it gets picked up. Government budgets aren't going to change anytime soon so the only way to clean things up is by changing people's attitudes.

And some of the worst attitudes are from fisherman leaving behind their bait tins and lure boxes and coils of mono on the shoreline. Pick up after yourself and bit of someone else's and the shorelines would look much better.

My 2 cents.
Have to agree with you
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

bl8ant wrote:
wongrs wrote:

My 2 cents.
Have to agree with you
DITTO!!!!!!!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Lol I'm getting pinned ! AGAIN

Look I just said what I think ! If the city really want's to take this matter in there hands don't worry they can find away to find the funds to get inspectors and all that to manage a clean river environment!

All I know is I do my part and pick up my crap, but that's just me. Theres always going to be dirty people all over the O. river.
|Dore|
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Lol I'm getting pinned ! AGAIN

Look I just said what I think ! If the city really want's to take this matter in there hands don't worry they can find away to find the funds to get inspectors and all that to manage a clean river environment!

All I know is I do my part and pick up my crap, but that's just me. Theres always going to be dirty people all over the O. river.

My 3 cents ! :lol:
|Dore|