Unreal...the night I don't have a camera

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

doesn't count...OOS. I'm not considering it my first nickel. And it was a very accidental catch. Our pike to bass ratio from that spot is now something like 25:1. And trust me the largies are back in the water within seconds of being hooked.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

fisherguy33 wrote:doesn't count...OOS. I'm not considering it my first nickel. And it was a very accidental catch. Our pike to bass ratio from that spot is now something like 25:1. And trust me the largies are back in the water within seconds of being hooked.
YEP!

You are a class act Yannick! Funny... I ask you if one of us caught a nickle OOS, would it count?

Unanimous NO!

All fish we caught got back in within about 15 to 25 seconds.

Craig
rooky5000
Participant
Participant

Re: Picture

Post by rooky5000 »

Good going aside from it bein out of season i bet you'll see her again,

I would really be interested in seeing a drawn picture of her though
that would be a good one for the gallery --> And then the caption could be

"IT WAS A MONSTER" --> Look at her!!@!

Just bugging ya

Hope you have the same luck when you're tryin to catch her!! :D
"FISH" That about sums it up !
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Markus wrote:I know it's been said before, but I still laugh that someone like TM will define "immediate release" one way for OOS fish, but use a second defination when it comes to undersize/slot fish. lol
So are you telling us that there is no difference between catching OOS fish and in season undersize/slot fish? One is clearly ilegal to target and the other not.

Some guys just have no morals I guess.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

You do have to be careful for a few reasons (getting caught by the MNR being the biggy, oooing and awwwing with an OOS on a scale or posing for a pic with an OOS makes great evidence in court!!) ... but I do think that the comparison is a bit of a stretch.

It might take about 15 or 20 seconds longer to identify an In Season fish being within a given slot as a keeper... whereas an OOS fish is often identified the moment it strikes.

I will say, perhaps opening myself up to criticisms, that my release method is quite similar if the fish is OOS or not. The only difference is if the fish that is in season happens to be photogenic, he might be top side for an extra 10 seconds or 20 if I weigh it.

You know... I am throwing around guesstimates about the time top side to release without really knowing how accurate I am. I would be curious to know the actual time top side. I think I am going to get whoever I am fishing with to time a few of them to see.

Craig
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Trophymuskie wrote:
Markus wrote:I know it's been said before, but I still laugh that someone like TM will define "immediate release" one way for OOS fish, but use a second defination when it comes to undersize/slot fish. lol
So are you telling us that there is no difference between catching OOS fish and in season undersize/slot fish? One is clearly ilegal to target and the other not.

Both are not to be retained.

It makes no difference to me either way. Snap your pic or dont.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Trophymuskie wrote:

Good god you crack me up. You ever actually bother to read the regs? For a guy who likes to preach maybe you want to give that a try first.

By your own definition immediate release means back in the water..... you're braking the law if you snap a quick picture.

According to the MNR.......

Size Limits – All size limits refer to total length which is a measure from the tip of the mouth with the jaws closed to the tip of the tail, with the tail fin lobes compressed to give the maximum possible length. Provincial regulations are established using the metric system.
NOTE: If you catch a fish in a restricted size range, you must release it immediately (see Units of Measure, below).

UH OH....... better not be taking pics of those short fish your clients put in the boat all year........

Also according to the MNR......

Conservation Fishing Licence: A reduced catch and possession limit licence that is ideal for anglers who want to live-release the majority of fish caught. Under this licence, anglers must immediately release muskellunge, Atlantic salmon and aurora trout.

My goodness! I sure hope you're making your clients show you their sport fishing license before you snap a picture of their fish...... you could be breaking the law!

So.... how are you going to interpret the regs this year?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh and BTW congrats on that piggy bass FG33. That's a hog any time of the year. I can't imagine seeing a moose in the river.....

You're sure puting that boat to good use!
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

bradford2 wrote:
Trophymuskie wrote:

Good god you crack me up. You ever actually bother to read the regs? For a guy who likes to preach maybe you want to give that a try first.

By your own definition immediate release means back in the water..... you're braking the law if you snap a quick picture.

According to the MNR.......

Size Limits – All size limits refer to total length which is a measure from the tip of the mouth with the jaws closed to the tip of the tail, with the tail fin lobes compressed to give the maximum possible length. Provincial regulations are established using the metric system.
NOTE: If you catch a fish in a restricted size range, you must release it immediately (see Units of Measure, below).

UH OH....... better not be taking pics of those short fish your clients put in the boat all year........

Also according to the MNR......

Conservation Fishing Licence: A reduced catch and possession limit licence that is ideal for anglers who want to live-release the majority of fish caught. Under this licence, anglers must immediately release muskellunge, Atlantic salmon and aurora trout.

My goodness! I sure hope you're making your clients show you their sport fishing license before you snap a picture of their fish...... you could be breaking the law!

So.... how are you going to interpret the regs this year?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh and BTW congrats on that piggy bass FG33. That's a hog any time of the year. I can't imagine seeing a moose in the river.....

You're sure puting that boat to good use!

Might as well add my 2 cents.

The way I'm interpreting what TM is saying is that there is a difference between oos fish and undersize in season fish. Clearly one you are not allowed to target the other species is ok as the season allows angling during a certain yearly time period.

If you are targeting oos fish you should get caught and lose your licence...forever. If you inadvertantly hook up an oos fish while angling another in season species then it should be water released(no pic) and if it repeats a good angler will move spots to leave them alone.

In season fish are ok to angle and some have lower middle and upper size limits , some have quantity limits. I have seen pics of walleye on FH that are having to be released due to these restrictions...everyone does it.
Catching a non legal size fish that is in season is ok as you are not able to control what size of fish will hit your bait. However as the regs state they must be immediately released.
I have taken pics of sub legal muskies.....actually every muskie I have taken pictures of was sub legal as I have yet to catch a muskie over 54".
The fact that I have honed my release skills to about 30 seconds or less with out of water time about 3-5 seconds in my opinion constitutes immediate release. If someone thinks a release period should be less than that then sorry because I don't think it can be done. Should I stop angling for muskies because I haven't caught a 54"...???? Hell no!!
Look at every guides photos...every single one has sub legal fish, take a look through your own pics and tell me you don't have a sub legal fish pic. There is a grey area and I've never heard of someone being charged for having a picture of a sublegal fish. IMO people need to stop being so damn self righteous.
Last edited by muskymatt on Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Definitily a great bass for sure OOS or not.

LOL on going back during open season to see if you can catch it again.....I'd say the chances of that are pretty slim to none, so enjoy the memory.

Very cool on the moose. I've been lucky enough to see a number of deer crossing lakes and rivers but not a moose yet.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Personally I take pics of oos fish caught by accident, and of under or over sized slot size fish.

However, after reading Brads quotes from the regulations, I would have to agree that there is no difference in taking a photo of an OOS fish, or an under/over sized slot fish. They both state immediate release. Therefore, if everyone follows the rules as they are written.... we wouldn't see half the amount of musky pics on here.

I will continue to take photos of whatever fish I catch, in season, out of season, under the slot, over the slot. To me there is no difference in accidentally catching an OOS fish, or a fish in the slot... it's out of my control.

Cheers
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

muskymatt wrote:
Another thread hijacked in the name of petty quabbling.
My appologies if some viewed this discussion a "hijack", but I thought the original post was about an oos bass that was mistakenly caught and the poster regretted not having a camera to photograph it. :?:
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Markus wrote:
muskymatt wrote:
Another thread hijacked in the name of petty quabbling.
My appologies if some viewed this discussion a "hijack", but I thought the original post was about an oos bass that was mistakenly caught and the poster regretted not having a camera to photograph it. :?:
Oops... :oops: ...you're correct sir!!!

My mistake about that...the first time I read it I read it as his whole evening as a success...guess I need to be a little more attentive to the entire posts.

Thanks for the correction.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Some will never get it, comparing taking pictures of OOS fish to in season undersize/slot fish is like comparing speeding 90 in an 80 zone to rape. Both are ilegal but one you get away with while the other gets you jail time.

Thanks Matt for trying to clear things up.

Someone already mentioned that you have to handle the fish to figure out if they are undersize or slot fish where as an OOS fish should be water released.

I'd like to see you guys come out and say that taking pictures of in season fish is as damaging as doing it to OOS fish especially bass on their beds. I'll go a step further, if you can prove it I'll only take pitures of 54+ or legals for what waterbody I'm on at the time from now on.

So even though I do 95 in an 80 zone please don't compare me to rapists.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Upon further review... they are the same.

Under or over sized in season fish

And

INCIDENTAL (non targeted) OOS fish.

You shouldn't have either in your hands if an MNR guy comes floating by.

After calling the QweeBeck one (Ressourses Naturelles et Faune) this morning, they said as long as the fish can be released alive and in good health, there is no problem and as long you are not OBVIOUSLY targeting them.

They do not see a problem with either one having a picture taken.

Craig
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Well, I would see bigger problem "hanging" the fish on the scale than taking picture - but that's just me ...