How would you react?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

Nothing wrong with the way you reacted. There is very likely something else going on in his life that caused him to act so far out of character. The true test of his mettle will come when he finds the grubs and realizes you didn't steal them. If he's a true friend, he'll find a way to try and make it right. If he doesn't, you really haven't lost anything.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Also,

How much is two packs of plastics worth? A friendship????

Accusing you of stealing something is pretty low.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

As far as I'm concerned it's over between us. If someone thinks im capable of stealing from them, what are they doin in my house, car or boat? He didnt bring much to the plate anyhow, so no big loss i guess. And like you said, 2 packs of grubs is not worth a friendship, heck i've paid 60-70 dollar access passes for him when he was broke and just said when you are in the position to do this for me you can reciprocate it. I'm lucky to have a great job and have no problems sharing the wealth with my friends. The funny thing is i had just bought a dozen packs of those grubs in the color i liked and he was free to use them all day along with the rest of the plastics in my tupperware case, and i would never think of checking at the end of the day to see how many are left. Chalk it up to one of lifes many lessons.

What brought me here is that i do have, or at least used to, have a nasty temper and it feels like a personal failure when i let it get the best of me. But in this case i dont think i should feel that way.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Mudpout wrote:What brought me here is that i do have, or at least used to, have a nasty temper and it feels like a personal failure when i let it get the best of me. But in this case i dont think i should feel that way.
You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

It does suck when you invest a lot of time and effort into a friendship only to see it cruble at something so trivial. Been there, done that.

Unfortunatley this world is full of self-serving, selfish arseholes.

But you do meet appreciative people and when you do you hang on to them.
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

Luv the sig btw Jimmy, really rings true after i watched a couple "bikers" unable to drive their bikes off the ferry in carillon. Brand new harleys, leather top to bottom, skull caps, harley emblems anywhere they could fit yet they couldnt maneuvre their bike off a ferry, i was laughing so hard. Such failure.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: How would you react?

Post by lapointeric »

Mudpout wrote:I hate to bring this here, but something happened this weekend that has really bothered me, and would luv to hear an opinion.

Last Saterday I invite a friend of a friend to come fishing with me in my boat, this isnt the first time I've brought him along. When he was unemployed, i offered to pay for everything ( gas, lures, even made him a lunch when he had no food). Well FF to this weekend, as we are pulling off the river he asks me if i've seen 2 packs of grubs. i said no but looked through my stuff anyhow. No luck. He then starts storming around and i realize something is up, so i ask what his problems is. Here it comes, this guy accuses me of stealing his lures? I offer him to check thorugh my stuff but he insistant that i took it. Now, i have well over 100 bags of plastics and really have no use for 2 more at this point and i stress this too him. Well finnally i lose it, i'm nothing if i'm not a man of honor. Everyone who knows me knows i would never steal. Well i came just short of cracking him and now a freindship is ruined, and a fishing buddy is lost.

In the end, i'm the A-hole for losing my temper. My question to you hawkers is, should i have a clear concious about this? How would you react to this, besides lookin for a fishing buddy who isnt a charity case?

P.S.
I outfished him at least 3 to 1 lol

You have my vote, you had a reason be pee pee.

I have a similar story, took my unemployed bum out fishing ALL last year, same thing paid for everything. This year, he has a job, brags about the amount of money he's making, and wants to bet $50 on the biggest fish caught.... How 'bout you give me $50 for gas and we call it even! :D

He's my buddy though, and even though he's a selfish a-hole, I still love him. He'd never accuse me of stealing anything though.

Eric
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Mudpout wrote:Luv the sig btw Jimmy, really rings true after i watched a couple "bikers" unable to drive their bikes off the ferry in carillon. Brand new harleys, leather top to bottom, skull caps, harley emblems anywhere they could fit yet they couldnt maneuvre their bike off a ferry, i was laughing so hard. Such failure.
I saw some fat-butt guy on a new bike ( a H.O.G guy) in the US with a brand new Ultra Classic (not a spec of dirt) in a Duncan Donuts parking lot. A guy pulled up on his Shovelhead. This Lardy says "Hey, get your AMF piece of Sh*$ out of here".....

What he did not realize, was the patch on the guys back that was riding said POS AMF bike. So "fatty" was promptly PUNCHED OUT, without so much of a word said to him.

I have been riding since March this year and have easily done well over 10k in the time I have had to ride and I don't care what the weather is.
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

If i had an ounce of faith in peoples driving I'd definatly have a street bike. for now though i stick to offroad bikes, four wheelers for now. Since this is a fishing forum i'll add that me and the grizz have found some amazing brookie fishing between Labelle and St-Michel Des-saints. Here's a little ethical question... Way off a beaten trail in the middle of no where i found a boat on a lake. I lifted the boat and saw paddles so i figered what the heck. Took my rod out and went for a paddle, well the boat leaked like a sieve. So i brought it back, cleaned it and left it like it was( left him a bailing bucket). Now i realyl want to go back and fish this lake and would bring material to fix the boat and leave it in better shape then i found it. It's a small lake and if anyone came to where the boat was beached i would see them and come back within a few minutes. SO my question is, should i "borrow" this boat again?
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

First scenario - not out of line. Nothing wrong with showing emotion. A "friend" accusing you of stealing from him like that isn't right. I wouldn't worry about losing friends like that myself. Heck, even if he never finds them and they flew out the back of the boat when you were motoring... well, seriously... :roll: :roll: 2-packs of plastic vs. a friendship !?! It would have been better had he cut his losses, but that shouldn't stop you from cutting yours.

Second scenario - if they've left the boat there, and it's a p.o.s... and you're not trespassing... I'd be quite happy to come back to my boat and find it in better shape than I had left it. Just try to respect the isolation of it. I'd be happy to find my boat in better shape... I'd be less happy to find a bunch of people the next time I was there. But... it's not my boat or lake/land.

cheers,
tallpaul
rooky5000
Participant
Participant

Re: Temper

Post by rooky5000 »

Hey sorry to hear, Wait a minute not sorry to hear you lost a moron, I mean "Friend"
I would have done the same thing, I have helped out and been helped soo many times, Have definately burned people in the past and been burned in the past,
It's at the end of the day when I sit down and realize how thankful of the people that help me and how bad I have felt getting home and having burned someone.
So you know what, Now that you have all this great advice from the fish hawk crew you will sleep at night, while he is at home kicking himself in the butt looking for a friend and a boat to steal. You don't need that crap
Kick him to the curb and move on to a real fishin bud!! Cuz he clearly doesnt deserve you!! LOL
sorry laughing because I am really starting to feel like a psych. and I'm making it sound like you are married to the guy, :D Anyhow you get the point hope my "words" of wisdom help. Good luck findin another fishin bud!
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Honestly when it comesdown to it, I wouldn't even stomp around for 5 packs of grubs with someone I didn't even know, Iwouldnever accuse a friend of this I would just shut up and then figure out what I was going to do later on when I had more time to think. Save your knuckles for something bigger. This dude isn't worth it

2 packsof grubs?What a baby.......

If what you say is true your conscience is cleared! End of story.

About the boat.....

If it's in themiddle of nowhere, use it.

I have a question,someone has a canoe tied to a public dock here..should i borrow it?

It's been there for a month