Crappies on the Mississippi - Report (May 17)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Scum Frog wrote:
almontefisher wrote:Ahh Buster's..great watering hole. Oh yeah nice crappie to Justin.
To any CPer's ........Any word on why it went from a Broadways to Busters?
Don't really care as Buster's is a good spot...just wonderin'
The owners wanted fresh food made on site and the control to serve what they wanted which I believe Busters offer's. Food is still great prices are less and portions are just right. They used to sell Campbells soup and now it is all homemade..mmmm
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

almontefisher wrote:
Scum Frog wrote:
almontefisher wrote:Ahh Buster's..great watering hole. Oh yeah nice crappie to Justin.
To any CPer's ........Any word on why it went from a Broadways to Busters?
Don't really care as Buster's is a good spot...just wonderin'
The owners wanted fresh food made on site and the control to serve what they wanted which I believe Busters offer's. Food is still great prices are less and portions are just right. They used to sell Campbells soup and now it is all homemade..mmmm
Thanks...now I know :D
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Guys and Gals,

Thanks for the comments :lol:

The "dark" crappies all came from tight inside the tree - changing up their appearance to blend in with their dark home? That would be my feeling..

Eli - not sure if it was a bullhead or cat - was a decent size, so I'm leaning toward cat. Never really fish for them, so not 100% sure of the difference. If it wasn't for the warts and such, it would have been coming home with me...

As for Buster's - exactly as Almonte said. I asked the waitress on this trip. Monday is half-price pizza, and I must say, one of the best I have tried...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Hey Justin,

Congrats on the Crappie outing. FYI, the male crappie turn a very dark color when it's their turn to guard the nest. I don't think it's a camouflage response, but rather an aggression display.

tight lines,

ratsotail
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Ratsotail,

That was my belief also, but a few of the "dark" fish contained eggs when I cleaned them...leading me to my second assumption. Which is right - who knows...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Justin,

Well that blows that theory and superlative (always). That's new to me, I've never seen a female get black like that in the waters I fish...yet :lol:. Very interesting. Good luck this Summer!

ratsotail