Drop off question.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Drop off question.

Post by Johnny Bass »

When you see a sudden drop off. Do you fish the shallows around it or do you fish the actual drop off? Will the fish be suspended there?
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Zig Zag it.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Xenos wrote:Zig Zag it.
Xenos is right all though if down rigging I work the dropoff or deeper water. If not bottom bounce using a 3 way swivel.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Zig Zag trolling will do the trick.....just really pay attention to where your baits are....just because your boat is zig zagging doesnt mean your baits are moving all that far on the drop-off....

RJ
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

If you not trolling , station your boat on the deep side and work your bait from the shallow to deep side of the drop off....jigs are good for doing this...or tubes...of if you are a crank baiter ....use a deep diver and bump the bottom from shallow to the deep side....Good Luck
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually thinking of casting not trolling. SO the answer is work shallow to deep not vice versa. Probably on the evening or early morning it would probably be the other way around wouldn't it?????
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Hey Johnny Bass

I think that the answer depends on the situation. Typically, there is not much current in a lake. In a river, alot depends on which way the current is moving.

If the current is coming at the drop off, anchoring on the flat and casting to the deep water and bumping up the slope can be very effective, so can drift fishing up the slope with jigs or a 3 way or something like that.

Mick
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

Sorry its not that simple:

>When you see a sudden drop off. Do you fish the shallows around it or do you fish the actual drop off?

fish do not do the same thing every day or even hour..
sometimes the fish are on the shallow side
sometimes on the deep side..
usually following what they eat..

so fish both..

>Will the fish be suspended there

suspended..uhh why?
maybe ..maybe not

I repeat:

nothing is carved in stone
everyday can be different..
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to get more technical. When I fish bodies of water I am familiar with I am amazing(because I know the spots) but when going to new bodies of water I do only average. I usually look for Structure or just drift and cover as much water until I locate good spots. Now I want to concentrate on weed lines and drop offs, points ect...Pinpoint High percentage areas. I've only been fishing from a boat(renting) for 2 seasons so still learning the ins and outs. Usually when I do find them I make a mess. Thanks for the info. The most important thing I discovered when fishing from a boat is wear polarized glasses and west winds rule. Tightlines and good fishing :)