Bark Lake questions

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Bark Lake questions

Post by Chevy Champagne »

hey guys i have a camp around bark lake and this is gonna be our third season up there and we still havent figured out bark lake out at all we have tryed many spots on the lake for walleye and have come out skunked and with this weekend being opener i really want to try around more
if any of you have tips for me like spots baits techniques it would be really apreciated
thanks alot
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Chevy

Have you been up to the camp yet this spring? I went by Bark a couple weeks ago and the water was like everywhere else really low.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Bark Lake questions

Post by cprince »

walleye man wrote:hey guys i have a camp around bark lake and this is gonna be our third season up there and we still havent figured out bark lake out at all we have tryed many spots on the lake for walleye and have come out skunked and with this weekend being opener i really want to try around more
if any of you have tips for me like spots baits techniques it would be really apreciated
thanks alot
Dude! Your handle is Walleye Man!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on...

:P

Just buggin you!!

The two things that people (Old timers) have told me whenever I have a hard time getting Walters to bite; Down size and slow the approach.

I know nothing about your lake, but there are a few lakes that I have been to where the walleye population is either well fed or skittish.

Get the jigs as small as they can be. If you can get 1/32 down to the bottom... then do it. Slow and gentle your approach.

Are you using electronics? Are you marking any? See any bait fish? Are you certain that there are Walleye in there? (I don't know Bark Lake!!)

Leeches allowed?

Good luck Chevy!

Craig
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bark Lake

Post by Joey Rat »

Can't help you with spots but I drove highway 60 two weeks ago and the Madawaska was down 10' to 12'.

Yes that was feet. You couldn't float a boat in that part of the Mad.

I didn't see the lake itself but it had to be down big time as well.

On the other hand it is a big deep lake in places if you can get to it.

Good luck.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Talk to the locals. If there is a bait shop around pick up a few things ad when you are paying for the items ask about fishing 'eyes.

Dropshot gulp alive minnows.

Good luck
DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

I plan on fishing Bark with my brother and my dad in June. He goes there a couple times a year and generally says he has a rough time. Although he usually heads there for the trout and not so much the walleye. ha, maybe that's why he's having trouble? Let me know if you have any luck so I can get an idea where to go!
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I remember we stayed on the Madawaska just as it left Kaminiskeg. I remember Kaminiskeg was a tough lake to fish. We had more luck going down river. To catch 'eye we fished rocky points with jigs and leaches. My buddy and his G/F would go up the York River to fish LMB. I suspect it would hold pike as well.

Good luck,
DS
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

10 to 12 feet THATS BRUTAL
hopefully what you say is not true or the only spots i know on the matawaska will be dry :shock:
and i will deffinitly try dropshotting leeches around points
proberolly wont produce since i have never tryed befor but i think i can handle it :lol:
hopeing to have a good opener report for you guys here
thanks alot for the input so far
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

walleye man wrote:10 to 12 feet THATS BRUTAL
Yea.......holly crap, Batman :cry: :cry: :cry:

The one thing I will say is ( if memory is correct) the dam that controls the water level for Kaminskeg is several miles down stream in the Madawaska. That is the section we fished. I suppose it boils down to how low is Kaminiskeg.

DS
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

This should give you an idea why the water level is still low in Bark Lake

http://www.barrysbaythisweek.com/Articl ... ?e=2504124

And I don't think anyone was expecting an early spring with not a lot of spring run off, and less than normal precipitation.

It's going to take a while to fill the lake up.

Kamaniskeg Lake and Negeek Lake are controlled by the dam in Palmer Rapids. The water is a little lower but not as bad as Bark Lake. The york river flows into these lakes as well if the lakes are low, otherwise it just flows through the Conroy marsh and onto Palmer Rapids.

A couple of years ago, everyone on Bark Lake were upset with the high water level, stationary docks were under water etc. OPG was holding too much water back.

Some where in the middle is a balancing act that Ontario Power Generation has to perform, holding back enough water in Bark Lake to keep a reserve of water to send downstream to the power generating dams at Mountain Chute, Barrett Chute, Calabogie, Stewartville and finally Arnprior before it enters the Ottawa River and onto Chats Falls. They need the reserve water to meet the demands of peak power during the summer months.

Water level management is going to get tougher and tougher on OPG due to Dalton's green energy act. OPG has a contract to supply power at 5.6 cents per kwh. Dalton wants to pay anyone who will supply power to the grid 80 cents per kwh via solar or wind. These new private energy producers can put as much energy into the grid as they like or as little as they like and OPG has to make up the difference. With a stalled economy and manufacturing slowed down, there is less demand for energy right now. OPG is going to need to be able to guess how much power these private producers are going to put into the grid and be ready to make up the difference instantly by knowing how windy it will be and how sunny it will be.

Well I bet you were not expecting that kind of an answer, but thats how the old Madawaska river flows.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bark Lake

Post by Joey Rat »

I have some pictures of the Madawaska around hghway 60 but never bothered to learn how to post them.

I don't have time to figure it out right now but if you PM me with an email address I'b be happy to share them with you.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

heres a pic of the madawaska river in madawaska from 2 weeks ago. was 10-12ft low then and if anything the old bridge might be "just" slightly covered.

when we you heading up to bark?

best of luck finding a spot to launch, they're all pretty much dried up.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

it's still about the same level as of Wednesday
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

MLR wrote:it's still about the same level as of Wednesday
were heading up tomorrow am for walleye and pike opener..... hopefully the water level has went up a bit since then
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

The low water shouldn't have too much effect on the fishing on Bark Lake. Every winter they purposely lower the levels 25ft. Once the ice melts they slowly raise it again. Where the Madawaska flows into Bark Lake there is 90 ft of water in some spots so i can't see low water being a problem there. Generally we have some luck opening weekend with different colour Wally Divers. Jig and small minnows work well at the mouth of the Mad. I am predicting a great year for Bark Lake. Winter and early spring before the water levels peak, are the best times to fish there. The levels usually peak around June 1st. The fishing is never as good there for the rest of the year.
If you watch the locals, you will notice that they are going out to fish just before dark.

Good luck