How low can the Ottawa River go?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

How low can the Ottawa River go?

Post by Scum Frog »

Bucktail
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Bucktail »

How is the low water levels going to affect the season? I don't remember ever seeing the levels this low at this time of year.

Less water would mean less current, clearer water, warmer water, stagnant too I guess... Faster weed growth?

Good or bad for fishing? Good or bad for the fish themselves?
fishwhisperer
Participant
Participant

Post by fishwhisperer »

wow a six feet jump to get on the dock! but atleast they'll put in a floating dock, by the sounds of it a week after or around the walleye/pike opener.
that's insane.. thnx for sharing frog.

Buck I was thinking about this a few days back, it'll probably be helpful for some species while detrimental to others (like burbot who breed in the winter, with eggs that need cold for proper development). I could see it being helpful for the fry of the warm water species that are currently breeding.

The article kept repeating that they were having a rough time finding any white water (rushing water). Although less water means less current, less current means less oxygenation. Also warmer water holds less oxygen.

The faster weed growth is something you can count on though, with the lack of rushing water and probably elevated co2 levels, couple that with the warmer weather and all the "nutrients" the city'll add to the water as/if it rains.

Also im wondering if with less water, and the water warming a bit faster what will that do for the bacteria (i.e. ecoli, beach closures etc)

The weather so far this year has been pretty unpredictable.. lets hope for more rain (at night though)
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

A floating dock is great news!
Now we need them to scoop out the rocks and we are back in business.

I'm going to pick up my repaired prop and lower unit tonight (they were wrecked at the launch last week).
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

The river is definately low for this time of year.....Here are a couple of pictures...

This was taken this morning, and the next one was taken Sept. 11, 2007.....If we don't start to get significant rainfall, then I will predict that the water level in front of my house will be like the 2nd picture by June :cry:

RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

It'll be wild to see how the Province handles this issue when the time comes......though I think there hands will be tied to some degree.....

Flipper......rocks or not.....I wouldnt be powerloading at that ramp again.....unless you got a 2 for 1 deal at the repair shop... :lol:

RJ
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

OK I've seen the river a couple of times this week and didn't see it that low.

Now it's been raining hard for over a week isn't that helping any? I'm sure the city has dumped billions of litres of chit water.

I know it's really low bellow the damn but that's because we are keeping our waters up at their expense.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

you guys think the ottawa river is low the gatineau is realy low..like bad now.

there is some bad situation in a lot off area..few boat already out of order in some area up there on the gatineau..by some saying up there.

the province is responsible for water level in some area so they have to keep a cetrtain level but what is lower the those dams are gething hit hard.

i am talking gatineau river here.

some area are not that bad..was in long sault last friday..water level was ok..i saw worst.

will see...what mother nature will guive us.

joco
Last edited by joco on Thu May 13, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

On the Madawaska system, they were making repairs to the dam at Bark Lake, so they didn't start holding water back soon enough, people are starting to worry that Bark Lake won't fill up enough to use their docks this year.

And Mink Lake is low as well, at about the normal late July level.
HaZarD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

Petrie is a dry place and fish are sparce. Was out today for pike and normally I can get to em easily but now its soo low that the inner bays are just empty of fish. This water is low and people are resorting to smaller lakes and rivers now.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

HaZarD wrote:Petrie is a dry place and fish are sparce. Was out today for pike and normally I can get to em easily but now its soo low that the inner bays are just empty of fish. This water is low and people are resorting to smaller lakes and rivers now.
FYI Hazard,

The Ottawa doesn't open for pike until this Friday.....
Half-hitch
Participant
Participant

Post by Half-hitch »

HaZarD wrote:Petrie is a dry place and fish are sparce. Was out today for pike and normally I can get to em easily but now its soo low that the inner bays are just empty of fish. This water is low and people are resorting to smaller lakes and rivers now.

If you were fishing for pike at Petrie today you have other potential problems.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

HaZarD: Just a hint... This is the 2nd post I've read from you where you were out for pike. If you want to stay away from a flame war, I'd read up on the regs or refrain from posting about out-of-season targets. Almost all the members here take the fishing and fishery to heart. Please read the regs.

GuinnessGuy.
HaZarD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

Meh whatever. Zone 18 inland off the river.

Moved after a while and hit up a river and caught a pike or two and released them. Nailed a fat largemouth on a pike lure.. sue me. it went back too. Dont flame me for that bass. You all have had fish off season.
Last edited by HaZarD on Mon May 10, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

HaZarD wrote:Meh whatever. Zone 18 inland off the river.

:lol: :lol:

400$ later.

yes mr. mnr i lvoe you