How low can the Ottawa River go?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Water levels

Post by Scum Frog »

bassman40 wrote: As for the water levels, does anyone have a report of the levels on Mississippi recently? I plan to use the town luanch and wondered if they have the dock in and what the water level in the river is like?
It is low....it looks like it is at peak summer levels right now. Yes, the docks are in
bassman40
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bassman40 »

Thanks Scum Frog!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Hazard...

Try not to make the mistake again. Ya live ya learn. Starting out I know full well I ignorantly made some mistakes, some before knowing of the regs, some by misinterpreting them.

Fallfish hit spinners with reckless abandon... there's an Ottawa River baitfish.

Ottawa gets real low... only the strong will survive. Skegs and fishes. :lol: Hope it gets to Moose River levels, I'd love to pick it apart in the WarCanoe while the rest watch from shore. 8) :lol:
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

From a buddy

Post by CCLad »

Here is the reply from a friend of mine that works on the dams (Chat falls, Arnprior etc) when I asked hiw about the water levels...

"Holding nothing back only running 3 generators no water up North to come either. Looks like a very dry river this summer."

Looks like there may be some concentrated spots this year :)
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Bassman

I launched at the CP town launch last week with no issues at all in my 17 foot boat.

I'd say the water is anywhere from 1 to 2 feet down. There is a pike spot that I usually hit at this time of year that was not accessible on the way in and usually i can get in there

Mick
HaZarD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

I hope to snag a ride on a boat down the river from manotick bridge. I know a sweet spot that was even great from shore.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Cyber wrote:
lapointeric wrote:
To be honest I've read the regs, and I didn't notice the Ottawa river was a different zone, but if I got called out for fishing OOS, I'd probably come back with "my bad, won't do it again".

It's irrelevant that everyone else is a reg totin' internet tough guy, show some respect, and bring a better attitude.
What I DON'T have respect for is the "Quick Draw" guys on here
who seem to sit back and wait for someone to contravene the
regs or perceived 'etiquette' and then WHAM!!!....they pounce
on them and try to make them feel like a career criminal!! :evil: :evil:

I'm not gonna single anyone out here, but nothing wizzes me off
more than armchair sheriffs who take pleasure in belittling others!! :roll: :roll:

I'm certain they're trying to compensate for other shortcomings in their lives. :twisted: :twisted:

So please: "Don't let those haloes slip down & choke yas!!" :P :P

Don't forget about the Lawyers now browsing the site .Bringing up '' Possible '' Legal Action...
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Don't forget about the Lawyers now browsing the site .Brining up '' Possible '' Legal Action...
now that's pretty funny right there........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oziles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oziles »

Hi,

To confirm, Ottawa river is Zone 12, including around Petrie Island. Tributaries are Zone 18.

Regarding water levels, I have lived along the river for over 45 years, I remember as a young lad walking the beach looking for oysters 100' in front of our old cottage on Petrie. This in middle of summer. Never at this time of year. Right now the waters are at low summer levels. Fluctuations are minimal. I do expect to see more weeds and thicker growth as the sun is reaching them earlier. E-Coli should be less of an issue this year as a dry summer allows rain to be capture by the soil instead of the sewer system and the predictions are for a dry summer so little impact on sewer overflow, but as always, Mother Nature decides.....

I have noted a definite trend to higher winds and windy days though. As well as localized wind events. Last week we had a brief wind storm fling a tempo style unit which was covering a boat, over a 26' foot pontoon, lengthwise, landing on the road to the small ramp, something like 60' from where it started.

Cheers
Yves
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Oziles wrote: I have noted a definite trend to higher winds and windy days though.

Cheers
Yves
Yves....my wife and I were discussing the same topic about the wind this morning :D ....it seems that the North/East wind starts up every morning around 7:00 and remains right through to the late afternoon, day after day lately :shock: ..
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

this is true.

we did discuse this at victoria the other night.

usely the wind die at night..but it those not lately and hurly morning it start hurly..i been looking for some gar fishing..and a lot off morning are no good because off the wind.

so those sail boat are in for a good summer hey RJ....
:lol:

joco