Kayakers - Question for ya....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Kayakers - Question for ya....

Post by steve-hamilton »

Not sure where else to ask, but it seems this board has a large number of kayakers...so it might be intersting to hear their side ....

In hamilton harbour there seems to be a growing kayak contingency....

Awesome! seriously....

Now, i'm new to this stuff....so i don't know if this is normal...

Is it normal for a yaker to reverse their vehicle down the boat ramp so they can unload their gear and kayak into their vehicle, then put their kayak in their bed of their truck....thus taking up the only "boat" ramp to load their kayak?

When we had a 14' square stern canoe and a 2hp motor, we would pick up the canoe and bring it away from shore to unload, then pick it up and put on our vehicle...

never would we reverse our car down the ramp to unload the gear, then put the canoe on the roofracks on the car, then drive up the ramp...that would be retarded!

But it seems kayakers in Hamilton harbour - that's how they do it?! I understand how versitile the kayak is - not needing a boat ramp and all, while the boat generally needs one ...

What is "normal" or "expected" when a yaker is around a boat ramp?
Last edited by steve-hamilton on Sat May 08, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I think you are dealing with rude and/or uneducated folks that's all. Anyone seeing a lineup should do everything possible to get out of the way ASAP.

I think some signage may be needed to help out those folks, there is no need to use the boat launch for a kayak or canoe, maybe there can be an area next to the boat launch that can accomodate the kayakers?
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

there is richard. i even offered to help the kayaker carry his loaded yak out of the way to the grassy area, incase it was too heavy for him to do on his own....

he looked at me like i had two heads and told me he'd only be a minute....
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

actualy i do use boat ramp frome time to time..why not its there..and i can bring all my stuff closer to the yak at the same time..BUT i would not be using it and and take the time if there boaters there..i would do it beside it..dont need a boat launch at all...but if there nobody why not use it..that way dont have to goon rocka etc to put the kayak in.

my yaks are always on a trailer..so i back my trailer closer as possible to the water and put the yak in water bring all my stuff in the yak and go park

simple as that...because you have a kayak you should nbot use the ramp..?

i use the ramp becasue its clean and flat...again IF there is no boat if there is some i wont use it.

this is where theere ramp but most place i go there no ramp..and would sher wont pay for it..if i pay i wont go there.

there nothing wrong to save a few 100.s feet by bring down the truck closer to water.

plus if you would see the stuff we bring in kayak it would take you like 5 to 6 back and fort ...most off the time..so if you can get it closer and dont block anyone why not.

a boat launch is for all floathing veh..and oits public..not because one as a boat that is a priority to a yaker..not at all...i would past and go beside but if a yaker deside he stay there..why should he not..he is a user and a tax payer the same as a boater.

plus why travel few 100S feet wit is yak and mabe hurt is back to show off walking.?..if he can bring is stuff back closer to water..then its faster for him and less possible to hurt is back or waythever.

i see a lot off true see kayker that use boat launch becasue there very light kayak very expensive one and they like to launch there kayak in flat area..no rocks and sutch.

joco.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

gotcha - i think. :lol:

I'll start treating this as a normal occurance and will give them some space...you are correct, this was a public, no pay launch, and we are all tax payers...

I just thought it was strange to see the vehicle taking up the ramp for the 'yak...
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

and steve if that same guy would have got a big bass boat or other big boat ..would it be deferent..?

why a yaker cant use to boat ramp as any boaters.

i did own 4 boats before and a lot off time like a lot off time i saw boaters stall on boat launch taking there time etc..so boaters are no deferent.

and liie i said before not becasue he as a kayak that he should not use to boat launch...

but i am not exusce those yakers..if you want to use that boat launch do it fast and dont block people..and if you do have space beside..just go beside and lets other pepole do there thing.

but yaker or canoer or any water vehicule is the same..a boat launch is to all.

so personaly........i do use boat launch..just a way to save me time and asle and bad shore.

if there no boat launch i will go..becuse i dont need one..or there a nice place beside it..why not.

joco
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

joco, when a boat uses a launch, lets say he's putting his boat on the trailer.

he likely drives up onto his trailer, then the person in the vehicle, assuming he is not alone, drives the boat away. that's it. no moving gear. no loading into beds of trucks. no taking any time.

the boater understands the use of the ramp. it's very rare to see a boater come up to the dock, and start unloading his boat gear into his vehicle in the same fashion the 'yaker unloads his gear into the vehicle. I would expect the yakker to load and unload his yak away from the ramp, in the same way a boater is expected to, then if he needs to use the ramp, load or unload his yak into or from the water....

i dont think it is reasonable to back your vehicle down the ramp, then load or unload your kayak at that time. A boater would not do it - a yakker should not either.

however, you are correct. a yaker should be able to use the ramp in the same way a boater is allowed to. If the ramp is a 'pay per use' ramp of course the yak should also pay for it's use, if they are going to use it...

is that reasonable?
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

I just thought it was strange to see the vehicle taking up the ramp for the 'yak..

like i said....its nice to save a few feet off traveling..and sometime some people cant andle long walk wit a kayak..or if its windy..it could be even dangerous to do so twice your back if the wind catch in the yak.

or simply becasue they have fancy yak and use flat surface to launch.

again no excuse if that yaker is slow......he should mode is butt ..and guive the space to others.like any other users.

if you see a jeep/trailer and 4 yeak..at the boat wave to me,.. :lol: :wink: .

or help me. :lol: .if i am to slow tell me. :wink: .

but most of time you will see me..but beside the launch. :wink:

but use the same parking.

joco..but its a good qustion.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

you said.......i dont think it is reasonable to back your vehicle down the ramp, then load or unload your kayak at that time. A boater would not do it - a yakker should not either.

however, you are correct. a yaker should be able to use the ramp in the same way a boater is allowed to. If the ramp is a 'pay per use' ramp of course the yak should also pay for it's use, if they are going to use it...

is that reasonable?

for the last question..yes if the yaker use the ramp he should pay the same he use it so pay.

firs the firts thing i dont understand.?

why could a guy cant back up is trailer to put is kayak on...???

what is the deference bet a guy back up is boat trailer to put is boat on.

90% off the time i had boats i did that stuff alone..back the trilaer get the rop put the boat and so on...

so i relay dont see the deference.

wen i use my trailer on boat launch i back my trailer like 1 feeet frome the water flip the kayak on the traielr and go up..same as you wit a boat.

no..?
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

and for the.........the boater understands the use of the ramp

NOT sher about this...like i said before..i saw a lot off time people tying and so on on the ramp itself wen there was a line up waiting.

not becasue as a boat is any smarter..there some pretty stupib boaters out there..i see some everytime..or a lot off time. i am on water.or at the ramp.

you see this a lot wit new owners off boats ..or some show off that take there time to show there big boat(gas guzzler) to all.

joco :roll:
Last edited by joco on Sat May 08, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

and for the..I would expect the yakker to load and unload his yak away from the ramp, in the same way a boater is expected to

you talk about the yak itslef or the stuiff in it.?

if its for the yak itself..he can do it the same as you or any boaters..put on or off is trailer like any boaters...BUT to load is yak...nope..bring the stuff by hand..do not take the time to load or unload the yak and be on the boat launch while boaters wait..that no way to go.

but for the yak itself..same as a boat.

joco
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i think backing up a trailer to put your yak on is a great idea! that would save the time it takes unloading all the gear (cause there is lots of gear you can fit in those things, its amazing!) into the vehicle...

i assume if you have a trailer, you load the yak onto the trailer, with all the gear still in the yak, the drive away from the launch, free'ing it for use, then you unload all the gear from the yak into your vehicle....

the example i see at my local launch is fella's who have either roof racks or pickup truck beds where they put their yaks. they pull up to the ramp, which is a single ramp i remind you, then start to empty their yak in prep for loading it onto their vehicle. once unloaded, the lift onto their vehicle, and then drive away. that process can be often 10 minutes. A boater again, drives up onto his trailer, then the vehicle drives away. once away from the ramp, the boater unloads and prepares for the drive ahead...
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

ok joco, sounds like we are on the same page, 100%.

load the yak onto the trailer at the ramp, A-OK.

but dont load the contents of the yak at the ramp. No-Go.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

ex me....

my kayak..is upside down on the trailer.,,and my stuff is in the truck it is there for 4 months anyway. :lol:

i back up..this its if i use the boat launch..i back up drop the yak and go up..that is a full 4 mins and then bring my stuff a laod at the time about 4 time.if not 6..hahhaa i bring a lot of stuff.

but thi ad happenb to me like 6 time out off my last 200+ yak outing in the past 4 years...so not my consern...and use a boat launch mabe 20 if that.

the first thing...respect frome all..boater respect yaker and yakers respect boeaters.

as a fishing yakers we do get a lot..like a lot off question by boaters..you guy fishing out off that THING.. :shock: :lol: ..so its mainly a good relationship on launch.

are prob is more the speed boats to close, then time at the launch. :lol:

mabe see you one day at a boat launch somewhere. :wink:

joco
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Its a Boat '' LAUNCH '' .......not a Loading / Unloading area....

Whenever I get to a Boat Launch / Ramp etc etc .......i 'll give someone about two minutes to do their thing .If they take any longer...All hell brakes loose....... :x :evil: :evil: :evil:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017