Quinte Opener

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quinte Opener

Post by fatluke »

Well team Graembo and Fatluke were at it again for 9th or 10th year in a row as partners. We have both been fishing it since we can remember, but teamed up roughly 9 years ago. We generally try to find a big bite pattern, and generally come up empty handed, but hey you can't with the derby fishing for eaters.

This year was no different than any (for us)..... a poor bite and no pattern figured out. We were trolling out some freshly spooled lines and sipping on coffee at 11:45 Friday night waiting for the clock to strike 12:00:01 am. When the time came, the lines were in and we waited. Our favourite shoal was a waste of time with the low water levels. We were fishing new (er) water around 1:00 am when my rod doubled in half. A couple cranks into the battle I was sure I'd make the leader board, or I had a big slimer on. This was one of the stronger eyes I have ever battled. When he made his way into the net, we assumed it to be around 6lbs. Kinda large for my frying pan, but perfect for the smoker. Into the well. All variables were recorded and we tried to figure out a pattern, no go.

Trolled through the night with not so much as a sniff. As the sun peaked we got out the cranks and jigs and again nothing to show. Around 10:30 am or so I had a slight tap on the jig as it fell, and I set the hook into another 4-5 lb male. Into the well again, and all variables recorded and we went on this pattern for about an hour, with nothing else to show. Finished our 12 hour shift at noon, Graembo snapped a couple quick shots for me and we were on our way home for some much needed shut eye.

As we slept the phone rang twice in a row. The calls were handled by Graembo's old man. The first one was from Kiwanis Walleye World stating fatluke had won a draw prize. Details were recorded, phone was hung up. Seconds later it rang again, Kiwanis Walleye World stating Graembo had won a draw prize. Our tickets were 1 number apart, and both our names were drawn..... sweet. My prize was a fillet knife and Graembo claimed a digital scale, and a spool of line. Nothing special, but better than a kick in the arse....

What will we do for next years opener? I dunno, but somethings gotta give. I miss the (g)"olden days"........lol
Last edited by fatluke on Tue May 04, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nothing to be ashamed of there Luke.......two of the better fish I've seen from the weekend!

RJ
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

dARn fatty luke.

those are sweet eyes man!
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

I heard the bite was slow this week-end...you did great Luke.
GR8-Scott
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GR8-Scott »

Those are some GR8 'Eyes Luke ... Nice work.
Way-2-go ... Congrats !
Scott
- A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.....
- Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day will be a catching day.......
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Solid fish Luke and definatly better than a kick in the arse :wink: Can't wait for walleye to open here on the Ottawa.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Beautiful fish Luke. Biggest I've seen so far.

Congrats on a pair of solid 'eye and your bonus prize packages.

Thanks for the report and pics

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Heading back this weekend, but between the weather, Mother's day, Mother in-laws day, Mother in-laws birthday, and Father in-laws birthday......it doesn't appear that I'll even be bringing my gear down with me.
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Great report like and congrats on your efforts!!
:wink:
Pauly
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Great looking walters congrats!!!!
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Awesome fish Luke.
Smoked walleye 8)
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

S.M.05 wrote:Awesome fish Luke.
Smoked walleye 8)
Sorry Mike...... There won't be any smoked walleye when you come by tonight...... If you have any fish you want smoked, bring it tonight as I'll be doing a batch or two early next week.