helping out our military staff in the area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

fellas,

what a great idea!

i happen to work for national defence (as a civilian) in the geomatics canada building on booth st in ottawa. we have a good number of troops in the building.

if you like, i would be more than happy to put up some posters around the office and see if someone can do the same down at headquarters on rideau st. i can also ask about circulating some type of email for the troops.

all i would need is some kind of poster, just 8.5 x 11 will do, and i can print them out and help spread the good word.

let me know if this would help.

cheers,
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

How's something like this for a start??

This is just a sample and can be printed in larger form and laminated and displayed. It can also be modified in any way...so take it as an opening idea.
:wink:
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Anf Bobber would have to approve the FH name usage.
HotelTango
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HotelTango »

Incredible, have not logged on in a while due to training and all and this topic caught my eye. Excellent stuff here guys. I was slatted to go on my 4th tour in Afghanistan however due to health issue with my wife I will be staying back. I will be mentioning this to some of my buddies at work, I could even post up a poster in our unit lines. Be advised this would be in Petawawa so travel cost and time might affect any takers. Keep up the great work, might even take up a musky fishing offer as I have never caught a musky.

Cheers
Marc
Jordyw.21
Participant
Participant

great idea

Post by Jordyw.21 »

Good day Gents, I am new here to the Fish hawk community and am amazed at the camaraderie you guys show and the community involvement. I am posted at the end of July from Petawawa to Ottawa and as I am boat less, was wondering how to learn the ins and outs of shore fishing in the NCR. I would love to take some one up on there offer to help out the military. It would probably take a while to sort out as not only are we posted but my wife is leaving for Afghanistan for 10 months...
but my kids are a little concerned we won't know where to fish.

any help would be really appreciated
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

July 3rd to 11th is National Fishing Week and you can fish license free. This way you don't have to worry about getting licenses for those who don't already have them.
Colin_M
Participant
Participant

Post by Colin_M »

Sounds like some folks might be interested in participating in Project Healing Waters:

Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Canada is dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled military personnel and veterans and other Canadians suffering physical or psychological injury as a result of their service to Canadians through fly fishing and fly tying education and outings.

Although it was created by fly fishers to help with the rehab of disabled military personnel, I'm sure that our brother and sister "spam" fishers would be most welcome. Kerry Pitt (contact info below) will have all sorts of contact information with the military in various parts of the country.

PHWFF Canada
http://projecthealingwaters.ca/
Kerry Pitt
President, PHWFFC
projecthealingwatersca@gmail.com

It is humbling that fellow Canadians are concerned about the troops and taking action - a super initiative, thanks for thinking of those of us in uniform.

Cheers,
Colin
Pepe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thanks

Post by Pepe »

Thanks to all you guys/girls efforts in supporting us Troops!!!! I'm sure that the majority of us serving members ask for no thanks or repayment doing what we signed on for.

As well, it would be great to extend these offers to our DND civilian counterparts as well, who are there day in and day out working on the same team for the same goal all around the world!

Thanks again to you all!!
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

this is not an easy task

i have no idea who most people are on this board
i cannot use fish-hawk as a contact with out permission, which i have asked to use and have yet to get a reply

if any one has an idea on how i would be able to get (administer) public (Fish-Hawkers) and military together , i'm all ears

i have a way of getting info to the military personnel past and present
but i have no clue how i can get them into any ones boat besides mine

i have made contact with in dividuals who are serving or who have served
i will be taking them out this summer

if anyone has any ideas send them my way
if not i will only be PMing a few people (musky guys)
to take some personnel out that have contacted me

again i have limited grey mater in the cortex and i cannot figure out how to get the two sides together

i know people here are more then willing to fill their boat seats but if no one including myself has a way to put people together
then we will have to do it on an individual base

please do not think for a moment i'm putting the site or anyone down for this
i think everyone here has good intent,

bob
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Andy_L wrote:how do you plan to get the military personel? is there somewhere this could be posted that they would have the ability to see it and link to FH to set something up??
Once you've decided on the format and exactly what you're planning contact the Family Resource Centre at Uplands http://www.mfrc-ncr.org/

(or Kingston or Petawawa or Trenton as applicable) and let them know. Between the them and you you'll work something out.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Hey Barblessbob,

I'm sorry. I didn't get any message from ya on this and just happened to notice the poster in the gallery that Matt put there, so inquired. :)

Yes, this is indeed a great idea and I'd love to show my support. Where are you with it and what do you need?
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Excellent Rob..Thank you.

I'll send a pm soon to discuss the process and set up
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

Bobber
the best idea i can think of is if you can set up something on your site where we as fisherman canregister stating our availablity , species of fish we are targeting and contact #

that why any military personel canaccess the site and contact the Fish-hawker

would it be ok to use your logo on a small poster?
these would be posted in varies areas ie" legions in the area,
military bldings ( with permission from them)
and any area pertaining to this

if you have a better idea i'm all ears
i did send you 2 pm's where they went?? but this could be due to my VERY limited computer skills:)

thanks bob
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

I think it would be best if those interested in organizing this meet together to discuss the best way to proceed.

Bob, if you want to assemble people interested or organizing (not necessarily all those who want to participate) and then send me a note on the numbers, we can set a date to discuss the best way to proceed. Both you and I got a PM from a military gent who brought up some very good points that I think are worth talking about before we dive head first into something like this.

Let's take it offline and setup a time to meet.

Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

Hi Rob
sent you a pm a few days back regarding this
i will be away most of june , not sure what i'm doing or what direction to take
have a few leads and a few volunteers to help out
have a BBQ place interested in loaning a Q, Oz's is willing to offer his grounds and a discount on boat lauching, i might be able to get some suppliers to donate a few things not sure what but i'll ask

i'd like to do something but due to my time restrictions, it would have to be now

if times run's out for me then i will resort to my original post and take out the few people this summer, that have contacted me
i did not get a large # of personnel but without a date a a commitment it would be hard to calculate the #

i would like to give this at least a try

bob
613 323-1050
613 736-9912