water levels

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Flipper wrote:The bass have abandoned their nests in front of my place. I wonder if they will make new ones deeper or if they give up for the season.
This is SAD... I am not a bass fisherman... but sad to see the spawn go south like this... I doubt that they will spawn again as it takes them a long time to produce the eggs that they hatch.
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Just parked the tractor from harrowing the fields because I was getting some rain and the skies look quite threatening. Weird weather... hot still air then cold gusts coming in from the WNW...

Craig in Alcove QC
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Flipper wrote:The bass have abandoned their nests in front of my place. I wonder if they will make new ones deeper or if they give up for the season.

It's not a good sign Marc!....some of the rock shoals that normally are under water until early July are now out of the water.. :(
hawgbass
Participant
Participant

Post by hawgbass »

Hey guys, don't sell mother nature short just yet or your boats. Walleye hasn't opened yet on the Ottawa and May is just starting and the rain will not be far behind. I would expect a large amount of rain coming in May so get the rain gear out. Water levels will be down from normal, but once the heaven flood gate close we will be closer to normal levels....I hope. :D

Cheer, Frank
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

RJ wrote:I've been saying it for weeks and have got scoffed at...... :lol:

There are problems coming for cottage and waterside residents....there is no water coming from anywhere other than the sky to help it either......

Lakes aren't too bad....but the Rideau system and the Ottawa are going to be a mess......

RJ
:shock: :shock""""

You'd get no scoffing from here, RJ.

We had very little snow, and next to no spring run off, and I was surprised to see most of the dams on the Rideau Canal, wide open this spring.

Sure enough, a week ago, a couple of little bywashes were bone dry, and stumps were showing higher than in the fall.

One MUST PROTECT houses near Ottawa built on the floodplain at ALL COSTS. Year after year, this seems to be the priority. I think when the canal gets it right, it's an accident. But what do I know.

The GOOD NEWS IS that the water level is now going up, so someone must have put in some logs on some of the dams.

Stuff like this really used to pee pee me off, but, the older I get, the less I care. After 1000 or so Fish and Game meetings way back when, letters to MP;s, MPP's, and so on, stuff still happens.

Like me grammaw told me maw: " When it's getting done, Close yer eyes and think of England"

Cheers

: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

I took my boat out to Shirleys Bay, and let me tell you, that water is SHALLOW, like I have never seen it. With some rocks down there the size of my old VW, and now they are so close to the surface, caution is the word. I hope the fish can survive this drought, because that's what it is looking like.
The bigger, the better!
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

On the St-Lawrence, I have never seen the water so low. Short-term, makes for good fishing cause the fish are stacked :shock: :shock: .
TBM
Participant
Participant

Post by TBM »

Good news. The water level on the Rideau is at least back to normal if not slightly higher. :)