Bush boats and canoes

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bush boats and canoes

Post by Tip-up »

Many back lake trout lakes that I fish have stashed boats and canoes on them, either on shore or tucked away in the bush. Many times these boats are not locked. Most of the lakes are on crown land so would it be safe to assume that anyone can use these crafts and that if the owners did not want anyone to use them they would be locked up?

I don't see a problem with using stashed bush boats. I have always returned a boat back to where I found it, and in the same condition... flipped, even rinsing them out sometimes. Also left a couple paddles in the bush as well for others to use. Never have I tampered with locked boats or have stolen anything that's in them. Since I do not have a means of getting a boat to some of these locations, they are a real blessing.

The only problems I can see would be if the 'owner' were to show up at the lake to find someone in his boat...then again, how would this person prove that the boat is their boat?

Whats your take on bush boats? Have you ever used them and if so, what etiquette applied to that situation. Any good or bad happenings during a bush boat day? :lol: :shock:

Tight lines

Andrew
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

If it's not locked... First Come First Serve policy applies.

I've seen a few out there but never needed to use them.

I've never seen another group on the lakes at the same time as me so I doubt you'll have an issue but if you do that becomes a judgement call. Some of those lakes would be a long walk out if for some reason you're now out of air pressure in your vehicule. But you need to take that into consideration with the so be owner.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Not ok, unless you have previously made arrangements with the boat owner.

I wouldn't be too impressed if I traveled a couple of hours to get to a back lake and find my canoe or boat was gone.

Unless you know for sure that the owner isn't showing up to fish that day, you don't know if you are lining yourself up for an altercation.

Is it ok to stay in camps on crown land if the people holding the lease are not there?

Lots of people leave their property (boats, camps etc) unlocked on crown land, but purely to prevent damage from people who are determined to use their stuff. Is this a an open invitation for everyone to use their stuff or are they just tired of repairing damaged personal property?

We don't have locks on the doors of our camp (on private land) because we were tired of replacing windows and doors. By no means is the general public welcome to use the camp or anything that we keep there.

The only acceptable excuse would be that the person was seeking immediate shelter from the elements.

Just my 2 cents
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

I've done it often. A small trout lake I fish in NS has a tinny stashed at it. I use it regularly. But if the actual owner ever shows up - it's his boat not mine and he gets it as fast as I can get it back to shore. Perhaps this is a different scenario since the lake in question is barely an acre - I wouldn't take it from that lake.

I also know that people (presumably wilderness canoiests or trappers) crash in my cabin every year and use my stuff when I'm not there. I don't mind. They usually leave me something (last time it was a 3-pack of propane bottles since they drained the BBQ tank I use for the stove). I do wish they wouldn't burn their garbage in my woodstove :evil: , but don't sweat the small stuff.

Bottom line - I think you hit the nail right on the head:

Its on Crown Land and not locked. Although, you can't rule out the fact that buddy might be choked about it; if he really didn't want you using it he'd chain it to a tree. I'd use it.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hard to answer..

but if you do make sher THE PLUG IS THERE that is how once a boat i saw was not look but no plug in it.. :lol: .

first guy dont lock to because they dont want to go back there and have lost there keys of forgot them at home etc.

in some deap wood area..its like a unwritin law..dont lock hunting camp or boat for safety reason if a person is loost or caught in deap wood it will be a great help for him.

but truly that boat as a owner...mabe he thoser not care somebodty take it mabe he those.

its like everything hesle..not becasue its not lock that its ok to use it..but mabe it is.

personaly i would a real troble using it myself.mmmmmmmm or mabe i would .

but this is me.

joco
fisher178
Participant
Participant

Post by fisher178 »

i thought it was illegal to leave a boat unattended anywhere on crown land
just my 2cnts
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Great feedback. Should have mentioned I wanted to hear from owners as well :) Mostly fish from shore on these types of outings but a canoe and paddle is hard to resist if the bite is slow.

Fisher178, this post was directed at 'using' unregistered back lake boats that have been left by others. Not sure what the law is regarding leaving a boat.

Andrew
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Some interesting comments here.

It's pretty simple in my opinion, if its there unlocked it's up for grabs. Try and prove it's your boat / canoe?

Let's be realisitc with this one if you're leaving it there it's partly because you're o.k. if it gets stolen or damaged or used. It's the chance you take when you leave something unattended anywhere. If you're not o.k. with it why are you even leaving it there in the first place? If you show up and someone else is using, wake up earlier next time and be the first one there.

As for cottages or camps, when I had one in the bush we never locked things and didn't worry about it. I've gone to a lot of places in QC where camps are open and even have a sign in log for those that stayed there while the owners were gone. That is both private and crown land. As long as you leave it the way you did no harm done.

Only in Ontario do you see "this is mine" don't use or I'll be pee pee attitude.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

up for grabs.

it would be my style to leave a boat on a good speck lake and let anyone take it.

its prob. a leaky S.O.B. anyways.

and if the owner shows up.

and tell you its his.

try and make arrengments.

i would let the guy fish in it and come back the next day.

or just fish with waders.

what ever works.

why would this be illigal?

littering ?
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Carl wrote: If you show up and someone else is using, wake up earlier next time and be the first one there.
Gotta disagree with ya there Carl... If someone confronts you politely as you are trolling or drifting by stating that is there boat and they've traveled quite far, common sense dictates you should hand the boat over to that said individual... if you chose not too I'd assume you carry a couple of cans of stop leak for your truck tires with you at all times :wink:
let the slay commence
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

If the owner shows up and you dont want to be nice and return property that does not belong to you, than have a nice day out on the lake thief 8) like Carl said it could be a long walk out :lol:

I once found a canoe and it said "Put it back like you found it so you can use it next time."
so thats what I do :wink:
Last edited by S.M.05 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Fishing 24/7 wrote:
i would let the guy fish in it and come back the next day.
Oh My God :shock: :shock:

Well if you read it on the INTERNET I guess its true :shock: .... :oops:
The Nipigon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by The Nipigon »

I have a couple of canoes stashed up here in the north. Their not locked and the paddles are left with them. My full name is spray paint right across the bottom on the canoes. Unwritten rule up here is if you use it don't abuse it, and put it back in the same place you got it from. If I use anothers canoe/boat I always leave a note with a fiver in it saying thanks. Seems to work well up here.... 8)

Later
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, fishing rod in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!."
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Hey Nipigon when im up that way this summer. If I find a canoe with a name spray painted on it, Ill be sure to leave a fiver for ya.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

My take is..........locked means "it's not for anybody else's use but the owner", not locked means - fine for others to use but please respect as it is somebody else's property and treat accordingly"