Fishing the Hooch

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fishing the Hooch

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I'll be Georgia bound and road trip in it April 24th.

My brother is trying to organize a fish for browns on the Hooch.

Anybody on here fished in Georgia? Any ideas or tips?
Any other good bodies of water around and the species?

Anyone suggest a rod I can pack in a saddle bag?

Thanks for all the advice.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

The Redington Wayfarer (6 piece) 9' fly rod is a great pack rod if you can find them. Other good pack rods include the Orvis Frequent Flyer and March Brown fly rods.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
XXXL
Participant
Participant

Post by XXXL »

Georgia and the Hooch are both pretty broad areas. I've fished the river below Lanier/Buford dam around Atlanta and have pretty limited success. Without a float tube or some other watercraft, good fishing from shore is pretty limited in my experience unless you're willing to get your feet wet. Lake Alatoona and Lanier are both really close to the city and both have decent populations of Spotted, Largemouth and Striped Bass. Alatoona coughs up some big largies, especially in the spring but if you're looking for action stick to the Spots, they are definitely more abundant than the largies and put up a pretty good fight. If you're around Atlanta and are set on fishing the river then try around Sope Creek, access is pretty easy. Be careful though, this is a delayed harvest section of the river and has some pretty tight restrictions. When you get your license make sure you specify you want a trout license as well. Best shore fishing in my experience has been small neighborhood ponds which are all over the place. Almost all of them hold decent largies and have easy access. There's also lots of guides in the area on the river and both of the above mentioned lakes. With limited time and knowledge that's probably your best bet for getting on to fish.
Good luck.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks XXXL. I will have very limited time there for sure.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by brufan »

Only small trout in the hooch, fish early morning.. Have fun..
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

I lived on the suwannee river for 10 years which borders Fla/Ga.,the best bass fishing around atlanta is probably lake lanier. thats where all my buddies go.