Buckhams Bay Boat Launch Update

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Georges
Participant
Participant

Post by Georges »

I have spoken to Eli and attended a few meetings , the problem being that the city owns the ramp, the Feds own the dock, the dock was supposed to be brought back to original but some engineer screw up the city was suppose to be given the dock but are now refusing because it is no damn good much too high, I told Eli we as local residents who only use it for in and out once a year by the way should get the Feds to take the dock out raise some money for a floating dock and have the city maintain it, his answer was why did you not think about that before and my answer back was if they would have put it back to it's original dimensions there would be no problem, if you are in the Bay please speak to him because that dock is no good and very Dangerous when the water level drops.
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

I used to spend a lot of time in the Bay back in the mid to late 90's.
I had breakfast at the lighthouse all the time.....It was a great!!
Is the lighthouse no more?
I believe my ex brother-in-law owns a restaurant in the bay, but not sure which place he took over. I'm sure a lot has changed since I was there last.
Think I'll have to get out that way soon! Always great fishing there.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Wired leader wrote:I used to spend a lot of time in the Bay back in the mid to late 90's.
I believe my ex brother-in-law owns a restaurant in the bay, but not sure which place he took over. I'm sure a lot has changed since I was there last.
Eli still owns and runs the Lighthouse....there's only one other restaurant in the Bay called L'Osteria (great Italian food) that's owned and operated by Claudia and her husband George....
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

Our tax money was able to provide $2,000,000.00 to a private company(for profit) to build a really nice boat launch for the 'boat lift' around the dam but it's closed to the public. Two floating docks off a pair of concrete piers. It's right beside the Quyon ferry wharf. In the three years it has been there I have only seen it in use once to launch a massive cigarette boat. That makes me angry every time I use the Buckhams launch. Why couldn't they have done that for us?

I won't put any blame on Eli though (our city councillor); I think he does work hard for us. He got our road paved and he was the one who kept chasing the city to do something for our launches (but they were botched by the consultants unfortunately).
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Flipper wrote: Our tax money was able to provide $2,000,000.00 to a private company(for profit) to build a really nice boat launch for the 'boat lift' around the dam but it's closed to the public. Two floating docks off a pair of concrete piers. It's right beside the Quyon ferry wharf. In the three years it has been there I have only seen it in use once to launch a massive cigarette boat. .
The only ones that can afford the "lift" services at the Ferry Rd are the guys that have enough money to buy a cigarette boat and pay for the gas that the boat guzzles....
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

anyone been down by the bay today? is it open yet? if so i think im gonna try and get out tomorow if it is
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

Chevy,
You might be okay tomorrow. There is a half kilometre ice flow moving out of Buckhams right now in one big piece. Looks like it is the last piece of ice. The wind is blowing it out very slowly.
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

Thanks for the update TroutnMuskieHunter.
It's been so long since I've been around those parts.
Can't remember the name of the diner that the ex's older brother owns, but it is neither of them. Must not be in the bay, unless it's changed hands.
Both brother's live on Buckham's bay still I believe, but I don't really talk to them anymore, except to wave if I see him driving his truck. In any event, I used to keep my boat up there and was always on the water stalking something, but stopped going when the ex & I split back in 99.
Sorry to hear the dock is so crummy now....Best best is to keep the politicians out of it.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Flipper wrote:Chevy,
You might be okay tomorrow. There is a half kilometre ice flow moving out of Buckhams right now in one big piece. Looks like it is the last piece of ice. The wind is blowing it out very slowly.
i hope your right cause i dont wanna get there and theres ice lol
thanks 8)
surferal
Participant
Participant

ice is gone

Post by surferal »

ice went out last night
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

awsome today im heading out somewhere elce migh try tomorow mourning 8)
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:
Wired leader wrote:I used to spend a lot of time in the Bay back in the mid to late 90's.
Eli still owns and runs the Lighthouse....there's only one other restaurant in the Bay called L'Osteria (great Italian food) that's owned and operated by Claudia and her husband George....
There used to be another up until a couple years ago but it closed down. Just past L'Osteria on the left and before the MacEwen's. It was a pizza joint with limited seating.
Flipper wrote:
I won't put any blame on Eli though (our city councillor); I think he does work hard for us. He got our road paved and he was the one who kept chasing the city to do something for our launches (but they were botched by the consultants unfortunately).
Hey Marc

At least he had your half paved. My father-in-law isn't a fan of his after that fiasco.. :lol:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Wall-I-Guy wrote:
There used to be another up until a couple years ago but it closed down. Just past L'Osteria on the left and before the MacEwen's. It was a pizza joint with limited seating.
That was called "Happy Times" Pizzaria....awesome pizzas!!!.....Mike was forced to leave that building because the owner decided to jack up the rent!!.....The owner has had it listed on MLS for 2 years now with no bites...

It was a blessing for Mike because he ended up opening a Happy Times in Carp and another one in Fitzroy Harbor that delivers to the Bay!!!
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

happy times in the bay was awsome
so good lol
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

Actually, I was thinking the place was called good times or something....but maybe that was it. His name is Darren . Maybe it is one of the other locations that he runs????
Not sure....
His brother's name is Mike???...Maybe I'm really confused.