Algonquin Park Trip

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Scaini33
Participant
Participant

Algonquin Park Trip

Post by Scaini33 »

Hey everyone

Im planning a trip to algonquin park in early may with 3 other friends. Its going to be out first time in the park so were not sure what were getting ourselves into. We plan to do a bunch of fishing and our trip is going to last 5 days so hopefully we will catch some so we can get some meat in our diet in the latter part of our trip.

Im just wondering if anyone has any tips for the trip. Such as things that i will absolutely need during my time there. Ive done some research on the net but nothing would be better then first hand experiences from Hawkers.

Thanks a lot
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

bugs

Post by JZ »

Bug Spray is the first thing that comes to mind. I have been to Algonquin but not on a fishing trip. It is on my list of fishing trips to attempt in the next couple of year so please take lots of pics, looking forward to reading a detail trip report.
As you indicated search the net there is lots of info on Algonquin, also if you watch fishing shows which I assume you do if you are on this site, FishNCanada did a good episode on a canoe fishing trip in Algonquin, might be able to find it on their website or youtube.
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

First week of May should be bug free, it will still likely be below zero some nights though, that's the trade off for the lack of bugs.

I'm not an old pro by any means, but make sure you are ready for any weather, days of rain, wind and snow could make things miserable in a hurry if you aren't prepared.

Also make sure you are familiar with the parks special rules and regs, like the can/bottle ban etc.

I'll be in for the opener this year, April 24th, sure hope the thaw keeps up, would hate to have to chop ice from the front of the canoe!
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Stop and pick up "The Last Guide" Frank Kuiack in Whitney and take him with you. He was one of the last official guides in Algonquin park. He is almost 80 but still makes the odd trip into the park.

Ottawa author Ron Corbett wrote "The Last Guide" a book about Frank and couple of canoe fishing trips they did together.
fred
Participant
Participant

Post by fred »

couple things you need to pack for your algoqiun trip 1 agood tarp 2 patience for all the out of country patrons 3if fishing in bass lake you will need #2 mepps or worms.Have fun and good luck.
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

Do you know where you are going? Canoe, power boat? Opeongo has a lot to offer but you would probably want a power boat.

Canisbay does not allow motors and the lake is a good size to paddle. Last summer (early August) I was catching lake trout from my canoe, flat lining one of those spoon-stringer things (I really need to find out what they are called :roll: ) with Gulp. Maximum depth in Canisbay is about 80 ft, I figure I was trolling at about 30 ft. Five kids landed small - medium sized trout. There are many other stocked lakes in the area for day trips.

If you google "algonquin park stock list" that will give you a good idea of what is around. I believe the web site "friends of algonquin" has this list also.
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

Waterproof your gear! With night time temperatures below zero, getting your clothes and sleeping bag wet could be a very very bad thing. Get your matches wet at the same time, and you are in real trouble.

The cheapest route is this from MEC:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 8141976106

I prefer to use a waterproof canoe pack, with the really important items (sleeping bag, change of clothes) stored in another dry bag inside the pack, just in case.

Store your matches in water proof containers. Bring more than one pack of matches in more than one container in case something happens to one pack of matches.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Scaini33,

What part of the park are ya going to?

It makes a big difference whether you are driving, paddling, portaging, or portaging distances.

Maple
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

advice .

Post by D-mo »

Even for the hardy/experienced canoeist - Algonquin type dude or dudette, most everyone stays pretty very close to the highway 60 corrador for their first fishing trips in early May.
If you tend to go off the beaten path in May, you will have to deal with deadfall on the portages, not to mention mud, and even swolen creeks, which will make you either turn back, or readjust your plans.
As other posters has stated, weather is also a definate wildcard, making below freezing nights up in Algonquin in early May the norm.
I would suggest you choose an open park along the 60, and paddle into a campsite from there, one lake from there. Rock to Penn would be a goodie, often done by most as a go to spring fishing trip.
Dress warm, carry light, and bring dehydrated foods. A water purifier and pack stove and Single Malt are invaluable items.

d-mo
Scaini33
Participant
Participant

Post by Scaini33 »

We plan to canoe and portage a bunch of lakes.

Our route as of now is opeongo - proulx - little crow- big crow- lavieille - dickson - opeongo

Would this route be too difficult to do in early may?
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

The first thing you most do is decide on where exactly you are going in the park, and make sure your people know where you are and when you’ll be back, if you are travelling the back country. I don’t want to sound over dramatic, but it is a big park and it can be very dangerous for the inexperienced, not saying you are. If you want a bit of creature comforts and not all portaging and paddling then I suggest the parkway area (hwy 60) still very nice and in May the yahoos and screaming kids have not yet showed up so nice…….
Also many paddle in sites on these lakes right off the corridor for even added seclusion. In May bring everything warm clothing(your winter coat), sunblock, bug dope, because it can change real quick, bugs are usually ok, but if you get a week of warm weather!!!!!
The most important thing to bring is a good sense of humour, especially when your boots are wet for three days
:roll: yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

UUUhhhh....5 days???

That's one HELL of a trip guys! You won't have any time to fish, you'll be too rushed and exhausted.....those of you that make it. Unless you're experienced in that sort of travel, I wouldn't choose it as a first trip into the Park. You'll need extra time too, in case you get winded in, as those are some good sized lakes you've chosen.

Do you have reservations for those lakes? Got the Opeongo water taxi set up? Have you portaged through 5 kms of muck before? Are you all in shape?

Phone the Park. Talk to a Ranger. Stay safe.

Maple
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

yep ..

Post by D-mo »

Very large plans for this time of year. Take into consideration some time to be camp bound due to weather and water conditions on the big lakes.

something to read ...

http://www.jgwhyte.com/Crow.htm

d-mo
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

I agree. That is a crazy trip plan, especially for a first time trip and especially for early May.

I did Opeongo, Proulx, Big Crow, Hogan, Lac La Muir, Merchant, Happy Isle with Plncrzy a couple of years ago. The fishing wasn't great, though that may have just been our luck.

What type of fish are you after? Lake trout or brook trout?
Scaini33
Participant
Participant

Post by Scaini33 »

Im gonna mainly target brook trout but i wouldn't mind the odd laker. I see now that its kind of a foolish idea to take that trip plan that early in the season. My main reasoning for that was because algonquin outfitters is right there and we need to rent canoes for our trip. Can anyone suggest a lighter trip plan on some ok fishing lakes?