Shirleys Bay Caution!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Shirleys Bay Caution!!!

Post by CCLad »

Hey folk's, I have seen trucks and cars drive over the lower end of the pressure crack all year, and finally a truck went through! It looks like it only has the front tires down - BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE CRACK!!! You can get around it by driving along the causeway (west shoreline)

Be safe,

CCLad!
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Thanks for the update CCLad! Some buddies of mine will be out there tomorrow and I gave them a heads-up on these somewhat tricky conditions.....tight lines!

Thanks.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Same thing at Petrie Island on Bait Shop Bay (left side shoreline at the point). Car's front end went thru last night and the area is now taped off. We were driving in that spot just 2 weeks ago. Be careful folks.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Same thing here on the Ottawa at the point of Horseshoe Bay...the ice has broken up and is getting wider and longer each day!!...it's approximately 150' long and is 20' wide is some spots...a truck went though 2 weeks ago..
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Tonight, Again - two trucks and a car, fishing within 20 yards of the crack???? I just don't get it.....

Comon sense is high on demand.........................
:roll: :roll:
Pickerel Boy Senior
Participant
Participant

Post by Pickerel Boy Senior »

Hi CClad

It looks like quite a few shacks are pulled in close to shore, I'm thinking with the weather in the last week and next week or so, the driving on the ice is almost done.

How is it out your way, on the other side of the presure crack. Where my hut is now, the current is moving pretty good, I have not seen the current like that in the last few years on the ice.

Be safe, good luck with the fishing.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

We are on almost 2 feet of ice as of last Thurs. We are going to take it off one week today. Fishing has been slow, buddy landed a 5lbs pike the last time out though.....
rugger
Participant
Participant

Ice thickness?????

Post by rugger »

I am thinking it might be time to pull off my trailer at Shirleys. Was anybody on the Bay yesterday (Monday)? How thick was the ice?
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I was out yesterday, the hut is now off and put away until next year. We managed to fish the last light and were on about 14 inches' of ice..)Out past the end of the causeway.)

Any how, need less to say, be very careful. Try not to drive out, use a snowmobile, walk, try to stay off. The ice on the Ottawa river is not safe with the warm weather and water rising due to melt off.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

the ottawa river is crushing apart for the past 2 days..we have been gething huge amount off big icebergs at the lower town power dam in hull.

and you can see that ice is all no good type ice.

so people that still take chnace on some not sher safe ice..mabe time to think a bit more insted off taking chance.

some are is safe some are not at all.

joco
rugger
Participant
Participant

Post by rugger »

There was a a fair bit of surface water around our trailer last night. We were able to get it off but it took a bit of efford with the ATV. There were still some trucks on the ice. You guys are braver then me.

Keep safe and see you on the Bay next winter!
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

with two people losing their short lives at the hand of nature in the past few weeks.
i do not understand WHY ANYONE would think they are have a magic vehicle that is able to float and find good ice

i know if you fall thru that's your problem, but the people that will get exposed to the dangers trying to perform a rescue or to recover the body
do not want to be there and are asking the question WHY? why did this happen and why are they risking their lives ?

last yr a warden told me you canot arrest a person for being stupid
instead the govnmt changes /addes obvious and bizarre laws

these laws punish/hurt the majority because of the action of the few
watch , i'm sure we will have a new reg regarding ice conditions in the near future

i have asked the MNR to increase the penalty regarding huts being lefted out , only to lefted behind for the property owners to cleanup at their own expense

i'm hoping we can get this hard water season over before we lose a few more

sorry to state the obvious

bob

why a person wants to mess with mother nature
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

The point of increasing the fines for leftout Ice shack is going to cause even more people to take chances with vehicles to get there huts off. I totally agree that there needs to be a law about it, but increasing the fine is not the right thing to do. If it keeps on like this they might have to say that the huts have to be pulled off and left on shore everytime you go out.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

wallyb, your right about that
their is going to be a change coming

i was told again this week that an individual has the authority to leave his out out till the final day

what can you say about that kind of mentality
remember it's all the OTHER people that are afficted by these chance takers

bob
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Wallyboss wrote:The point of increasing the fines for leftout Ice shack is going to cause even more people to take chances with vehicles to get there huts off. I totally agree that there needs to be a law about it, but increasing the fine is not the right thing to do. If it keeps on like this they might have to say that the huts have to be pulled off and left on shore everytime you go out.
Sask has an interesting solution to that problem...the day after the shacks have to be off the ice the COs go around and burn any that are left.

No fine :wink:
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.