what sled are you pulling behind your ski-doo/quad?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

what sled are you pulling behind your ski-doo/quad?

Post by plncrzy »

I was about to buy a trailer hitch for my big HT sled so I could pull it behind my newly purchased ski-doo. I was strongly encouraged not to do so, because apparently the HT sleds fall apart too easily when towed.

So my question is;

What sled are you pulling and please indicated your satisfaction.

Thanks in advance.
XXXL
Participant
Participant

Post by XXXL »

I was looking for one last year and ending up going with a Fish Trap but the one I was going to get was a Shappell. They sell some pretty heavy duty models as well as runners, hitches, and other accessories.

www.shappell.com/sleds.html
The Nipigon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by The Nipigon »

Otter II is a good sleigh with lots of options. IMO
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, fishing rod in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!."
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

My buddy and I both run fish trap sleds, they have been solid for us. Make sure you put runners under them so they last ya. :wink:
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

For those without quads I have an awsome one for sale!!! and MUCH, MUCH less than new!!
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

The Nipigon wrote:Otter II is a good sleigh with lots of options. IMO
Wow.. very nice sleds... sure are pricey though... guess you get what you pay for
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Graembo »

I know some HTs are two-piece plastic bases (versus my Frabill, which is a 1 piece plastic base) so obviously that could be seen as "the weakest link", but if it were indeed a serious problem, I'm sure we'd all know about it by now. I'd say tow-away!...sure beats walkin'!!

G
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Graembo wrote:I know some HTs are two-piece plastic bases (versus my Frabill, which is a 1 piece plastic base) so obviously that could be seen as "the weakest link", but if it were indeed a serious problem, I'm sure we'd all know about it by now. I'd say tow-away!...sure beats walkin'!!

G
The warning came from an employee of a large ottawa fishing/hunting store who said "Every year we have countless #'s of these coming back iwhich are totally obliterated",

Perhaps they were abused? Likely hit a rock or chunk of ice at high speed? who knows.... Yes I am tempted to purchase a hitch and tow it anyway... but I would hate for it to fall apart on me while I am 10km into the bush.
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

The otter all the way.

You do get what you pay for.

I tow the otter cabin.

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/portablefishhouses.html
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

plncrzy wrote: The warning came from an employee of a large ottawa fishing/hunting store who said "Every year we have countless #'s of these coming back iwhich are totally obliterated",

Perhaps they were abused? Likely hit a rock or chunk of ice at high speed? who knows.... Yes I am tempted to purchase a hitch and tow it anyway... but I would hate for it to fall apart on me while I am 10km into the bush.
The second sled I owned was an HT. Bought it last year and the bottom blew out in 2 feet of powder, low speeds, first time out. The HT plastic is way too brittle.
My fish trap I have put through hell and back. :twisted: Still going strong.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

S.M.05 wrote:
plncrzy wrote: The warning came from an employee of a large ottawa fishing/hunting store who said "Every year we have countless #'s of these coming back iwhich are totally obliterated",

The second sled I owned was an HT. Bought it last year and the bottom blew out in 2 feet of powder, low speeds, first time out. The HT plastic is way too brittle.
My fish trap I have put through hell and back. :twisted: Still going strong.

Gotcha

Anybody want to buy a good used HT sled? :lol: $50.00 :!: