Are expensive Polarized Sunglasses Worth it?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Thrillhouse
Participant
Participant

Are expensive Polarized Sunglasses Worth it?

Post by Thrillhouse »

I was wondering what people think. I have had a number of $10-$20 polarized glasses, and they seemed to work fine. Was thinking of buying some Oakleys or Solar Bats, but want to know if they are better then the cheap one.
Thanks
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I have some Rapala's and some prescription Nike Polarized sunglasses.

I find that the Nike's are for sure worth it. Lens clarity wise.

That's just my opinion....

But I also wear them riding....I'd NEVER get on a bike with $10-$20 shades.....

With Oakley, Nike etc they stand behind that "shatter-proof/resistant" statement....not sure the $10 ones do....I'd also question the validity of "polarized" on cheap glasses.....
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Do they make a difference - Yes. I am a bargain bin raider of legend - and when I'm fishing side by side with someone with quality shades they ALWAYS spot the fish/structure first.

That being said if I had an extra $200 to spend on fishing related stuff new shades wouldn't be at the top of that list. The cheap ones (Rapala, Cocoon etc) do work...the brand names just work better.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

I have Bluewater Optics sunglasses and i love them, I think you get the quality and clarity with the higher end units...but the polarization I don't think its actually any different.

btw if you ever want to confirm if a pair is polarized....take 2 pairs (when you know 1 definitely is) and hold them so you can see through BOTH pairs of lenses (one in front of the other). Now turn one pair 90 degrees (vertically)...you should see through the one remaining double lens that it goes almost completely black. if it does...they are polarized...if no change, they aren't
landshark
Participant
Participant

Post by landshark »

I think the cheaper brands work fine. I will say this, i use to buy them until i bought a coui-ple pair of maui jim's. The one thing about expensive sunglasses is that you are less likely to lose them. I have a tendency to take better care of mine. :lol:
Image Image
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

I have a pair of Rapala Polarized sunglasses. They definately do make a differfence, especially on those sunny days, cuts through the glare and you can see structure, and fish.

Not just this, but nothing is worse than having to spend a day wincing from the glare coming off the water, makes for an unpleasent fishing trip.

As for price?

Heinz Ketchup, and no-name Ketchup taste the same, only difference is $$

up to you if you want/can spend $200 dollars on brand-name glasses. Just remember, they are all made in China!!
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

There is definitely a difference, not just in performance but how they protect your eyes. Here is a good read if you are interested http://science.howstuffworks.com/sunglass1.htm

In some cases cheap sunglasses actually do more damage to your eyes then if you didn't wear glasses at all. This is because they stop you from squinting which opens your iris', but the glasses don't block UV so the UV just massacres your eyes.

Obviously you pay for the name with some glasses but there is a big difference in the way lens' are made from cheap to expensive glasses.

Scott
Dirtus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dirtus »

i own bluewaters, i also have some cheap one's, i find the bluewaters are a lot clearer and like andy says i am not sure if the polarization is different its hard to tell but i do like my bluewaters, they fit really well as they are fully adjustable.

Andy
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

I have prescription polarized sunglasses by Oakley. They,re awesome, I used to wear contacts and would just pick up a pair of cheap sun glasses
(a la ZZ Top) After having these new ones there is no comparison and I find they are really sturdy I use them for Sking, riding and a lot thougher on them then fishing. Got the copper/brown lense I find it cuts the glare just great and it dosn't make everyday look like it's overcast.
And like someone said earlier if they,re expensive you tend to look after them.
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

If you tend to drop your glasses in the water or miss place them alot go with the cheaper ones
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

I have the oakley Gascans and they are great.... had them for 2 years and managed not to lose them or break them. They are wonderfull to spot the fish and structure !!

:D :)

dore819
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

sunglasses

Post by boogie »

The main thing to remember is how well they protect your eyes from the harmful rays, yes they are more expensive, however you only have 1 pair of eyes.
Boogie
Poisson On !
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I have Bolle's......I do think they make a big difference.....my issue is two things.....

1. My eyes are so used to having them on I can't go 10 minutes without them on without getting a major headache.

2. Coon eyes. Almost year round. :lol:

RJ
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

you'll find there are big differences in polarized lense quality.

hell, even when you go to lenscrafters to get prescription polarized glasses, they have 3 different brands of polarizing, with 3 different price ranges....

i went with the Zeiss lenses.
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

I have prescription bolle's
love em.. worth every dime in my opinion