Are expensive Polarized Sunglasses Worth it?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

joco wrote:RJ

you are always looking for an open door.. :lol:

i do get caught myself.

joco
Gotcha... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

I would say that Sundog Eyewear and their Mela-Lens technology do have the type of polarized sunglasses you are looking for and here is why;

"Mela" is short for Melanin, a naturally-produced pigment that acts as a
sunscreen protecting the skin from ultraviolet light. In partnership with BNL Eurolens, a member of the Essilor Group, Sundog Eyewear has created the Sundog Mela-Lensâ„¢ lines utilizing synthetic melanin to produce state-of-the-art melanin lens technology.

The Mela-Lensâ„¢ is one of the most important advancements in Sundog Eyewear lens technology in many years," said John Whitney, Sundog Eyewear Director of Product Development. "Incorporating the Mela-Lensâ„¢ breakthrough technology into Polarized and Photochromic lens, and adding a smoke-colored Mela-Lensâ„¢, is an equally important and major advancement."
Sundog Premium Mela-Lensâ„¢ Polarized, with melanin technology filtration of High Energy Visible Light, provides unsurpassed clarity with sharpened definition, reduction of glare and veiled glare from reflected and refracted light, with minimal color shift. Premium Mela-Lensâ„¢ Polarized offers industry-leading performance and superior technology for maximum protection, ultimate comfort, and styling.

Yan Rochon
Sundog Eyewear Pro Staff
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

I bought a $ 9.99 pair of '' Nascar '' brand suglasses once and my eyes are still hurting from wearing them..... :cry: :cry: :oops:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

$40 for a pair of used Oakley Minutes...
Polarized lenses....
Tortoise shell frames, amber lenses....

AWSOME.

They can and are found found under $100...

Just USEDOTTAWA or KIJIJI that stuff....

Then you can get the "good" glasses for the cheap prices....
T Dot
Participant
Participant

Post by T Dot »

Jimmy from the Valley wrote:With Oakley, Nike etc they stand behind that "shatter-proof/resistant" statement....not sure the $10 ones do....I'd also question the validity of "polarized" on cheap glasses.....
boogie wrote:The main thing to remember is how well they protect your eyes from the harmful rays, yes they are more expensive, however you only have 1 pair of eyes.
i 2nd that.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

i use cocoons beacuse i wear glasses are the yany good??!!

can anyone request something better !?!
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

i use cocoons beacuse i wear glasses are the yany good??!!

Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

I spent about $20 on a pair at my local sporting goods store and the work great! I take them with me when I go on holiday to the Jersey shore in the summer and it's incredable what I see in the ocean! Glad I got em! Joe.
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

The worst feeling is heading to the lake in the morning and realizing that you have forgotten your sunglasses. For a lot of us it may be not big deal having them or not, but for the rest of us (for me anyway) it is a huge deal because we are so accustomed to wearing them not only to block the sun but also to get a better visual of whats below you which is why I will also wear mine in low light conditions.

My first pair of Polorized glasses were a pair of bolles which I loved and I had them for 4 years until I moved onto a pair of Oakley's which were alright but they werent at all like my bolle's. I have recently purchased a pair of Ray Bans and I absolutly love them. Out of all 3 the Ray Bans were the most pricey by far but also the most comfortable.

Whether im paying for the brand name or not, id rather spend the extra doe and buy a quality pair rather than spending 25$ on a pair that I guatantee wont last half as long.

Anthony
Northamfishing Tackle
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Me I got a pair of solar bat sunglasses that I won on a ice fishing tournament some of you guys must still remember that pair of glasses I won. I still got them and I wear them not only when I go fishing but everyday and they are comfortable. The only things are theres a scratches on the lens and me I dont like when the lens are sratch so this year I need a new pair and Im not decided on what all buy yet. Pretty good subject :) .
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I had a pair of Bluewater Optics.....loved 'em....they're gone now tho......slipped off my noggin' and down the hole in the shack... :cry: :cry: ......if anyone catches a pike sportin' a pair....THEY'RE MINE!! :lol: :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Fishing 24/7 wrote:i use cocoons beacuse i wear glasses are the yany good??!!

The Nike sunglasses I got from my optician are fantastic....

Kev, if the lenses are rounded like on most Oakley's they cannot be made into prescription glasses....cuz of the way Oakley builds the frame round the lenses.

I was lucky cuz every year my health plan at work covers me for a new pair of prescription glasses....

So basically, should I need a new pair........ :lol: I get them...

(I've had the same Nike pair for 3 years now)
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Expensive Sunglasses

Post by Joey Rat »

Just a heads up that there is a sunglasses review or perhaps overview is a better word, in the Outdoor Canada Fishing anual which is now on the stands.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Expensive Sunglasses

Post by Hookup »

Joey Rat wrote:Just a heads up that there is a sunglasses review or perhaps overview is a better word, in the Outdoor Canada Fishing anual which is now on the stands.
If it's the one I'm thnking of, all it does is tell you what A/B list celeb wears the glasses... no compairson, no conculsion, nothing buy "$199 - the bole uber glasses are very nice. you'll look cool in them just like KVD."

fail fail fail...
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

glasses

Post by boogie »

Hey Bazfish, solar bat offers a lifetime warranty for their glasses (90 days). If it's the lenses that are scratced up, they will replace them for half the price. Google solar bat to get the warranty info.
Boogie
Poisson On !