Green Bins?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Green Bins?

Post by Seabass81 »

For those opposed to the green bin program or dont plan in participating, the small bin the give you for the kitchen makes a perfect minnow bucket!

John
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Isn't the lid perforated Johnny?
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

we put our green bin in the bluebox and they took it away :lol: :lol:
Lonnie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lonnie »

You don't have to use a green bin if you're already composting organic wastes ... but if you are still throwing everything out in the trash then that's sad. Most people are completely oblivious to the impacts they're having to the environment, but anglers and hunters see the results of bad decisions all the time.
cheers,
LK
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

what the hell is a green bin ?
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Dore819 wrote:what the hell is a green bin ?
I dont think anyone really knows...My thought is something the City throws your money into.... :lol:
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

I can't wait till the summer hits and the maggots develope with 90deg weather?
How are we to clean out the residual left overs as all's it takes is 1 fly to lay some egg's!!!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Mr Twister wrote:I can't wait till the summer hits and the maggots develope with 90deg weather?
How are we to clean out the residual left overs as all's it takes is 1 fly to lay some egg's!!!
Buy the plastic bags for it....no wait they were not the right bags...well maybe throw dog poop into it....no no they stopped that too after saying you could....well my best guess is to throw a few gallons of dirt into it, place it on the front lawn and grow some daisies in it. There is some good use for your tax $$$...Just imagine how pretty the city would be. :lol: :roll:

I am glad I live in the "city" country!!!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Mr Twister wrote:I can't wait till the summer hits and the maggots develope with 90deg weather?
its going to be discusting.............. :shock: lol
Fishin Musician
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishin Musician »

Hey if you don't want the green bin I will take yours. it doesn't taked a family of four much to fill it.

I am surprised to here negative feedback on a program helping to save our environment.

I have composted my food waste for years and i sure like the idea of having the city take some away for me, as my backyard composter is full throughout the year.
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

Lonnie wrote:You don't have to use a green bin if you're already composting organic wastes ... but if you are still throwing everything out in the trash then that's sad. Most people are completely oblivious to the impacts they're having to the environment, but anglers and hunters see the results of bad decisions all the time.
cheers,
LK
I wonder what impact this really has on 'trash'. Guess it might feed less sh!thawks and coyotes though! Example, the City won't take leaf litter or tree trimmings as garbage but the environmental processing (dumps) mix in 'recycled trees' to aid in decomposition. They could be getting free organics from residents rather than the City processing them separately, and then the landfills making their own.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

You speak of negative...I don't even live in Ottawa and all I hear on the news, papers etc is how much money, time and energy has been wasted due to the City not being organized for this. I agree this is a great idea as I have been composting since I was a kid but that was country life. I hope it works out in the end but for my family it cost $150.00 for a composter that we used for 20 years and it has cost the city how much just to get it off the ground???? My other question is what is being done with all the compost?? Are they going to bag it and sell it?? Use it for all the landscaping in the city?? use it as energy?? What is happening to it??
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Green Bin

Post by Super »

The green bin program is to help out the environment, and will help the dump that we have, last for many more years.
I live in the area of Ottawa that was the testing area for the green bins and have used it for 5 years.
There is no problem and no reason not to use it.
In the summer all your compostibles from the kitchen and yard are picked up once a week. In the winter when there is no yard waste, it is every 2 weeks.
The only thing I put in the regular garbage is plastic bags (extra packaging from groceries) and some scrap contstruction material and a few other items that are not supposed to go in the green bin.
The bin gets dirty but I only have to wash it out a couple of times a summer. How often do you wash your regular garbage bin?
I refuse to buy all the paper bags they suggest you use because they are not neccessary. That is mostly a marketing gimmick by Canadian Tire.
In the summer I do put meat scaps and bones back in the freezer until garbage day.
Have an open mind, and it is not that difficult to use it.
Super
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Green Bin

Post by almontefisher »

Super wrote:The green bin program is to help out the environment, and will help the dump that we have, last for many more years.
I live in the area of Ottawa that was the testing area for the green bins and have used it for 5 years.
There is no problem and no reason not to use it.
In the summer all your compostibles from the kitchen and yard are picked up once a week. In the winter when there is no yard waste, it is every 2 weeks.
The only thing I put in the regular garbage is plastic bags (extra packaging from groceries) and some scrap contstruction material and a few other items that are not supposed to go in the green bin.
The bin gets dirty but I only have to wash it out a couple of times a summer. How often do you wash your regular garbage bin?
I refuse to buy all the paper bags they suggest you use because they are not neccessary. That is mostly a marketing gimmick by Canadian Tire.
In the summer I do put meat scaps and bones back in the freezer until garbage day.
Have an open mind, and it is not that difficult to use it.
Super
I understand the concept Super but what do they do with it?? :?
mont0073
Participant
Participant

tax

Post by mont0073 »

Isn't the waste going to a private company that is going to make money with it?