Ice Auger Questions?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice Auger Questions?

Post by fiiish »

Being new to ice fishing and having never owned an ice auger, I was doing some research and noticed there are different styles of hand ice augers.

On some the top handle is in line with the main shaft while others the handles are offset from the main shaft.

What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each style of auger?
Is one easier to use than the other ie. is the offset style harder to keep straight while turning?

Also, I'm thinking of getting at least a 6" but am wondering if it's worth getting the 8" instead.

JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I'm no expert but I will say until you are planning on fishing for large fish, I would stick with the 6". I have an 8" hand auger that I use when I want to travel light, without the power auger, and the 8" takes a lot more effort to cut thru the ice compared to a 6".

My 8" auger is a FinBore III with the offset handle, and curved blades for faster cutting, but even when it was new most 6" augers cut fastest than the 8".

I actually bought a new 6" hand auger today.

JimW
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Strikemaster Laser

Post by FowlDawg »

I personally prefer a 8" auger because the bigger hole doesn't freeze as fast, and its easier to fit a stubborn fish through. I would definitely recommend looking at the strike master laser. Those things are awesome plus they come with the attachment to install a power drill to em i seen one in action and it made my jiffy gas auger blush. I seriously considering switching as it is much lighter and easier to pack and haul. The laser works so well you can re-drill a hole that was done and has frozen up, I don't know of any other hand auger you can do that with. hopefully this has helped.

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep bush, and music in its silence:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

I've used both styles and neither is worth getting serious about. Both work fine. I'd go with the 8" over the 6" simply fpr the bigger hole. There isn't really a noticeable difference in effort.

If the drilling gets rough just check the blade for ice... blades ice up the time. Sharpening is good too... a knife blade sharpener works just as well as an "ice" blade sharpener. Not rocket science here.

I've never even felt the need to get a gas auger. No point really. Takes like a minute to get through the deep stuff around here so why be lazy and get a gas auger? I usually only drill about 30 holes per outing though. I guess that guys that have gas augers drill way more holes and probably drive out in their trucks too. No walking for them dudes!
catfish25
Participant
Participant

Post by catfish25 »

manual augers have many advantages like portability and easiness to store and their cheaper. Then also provide an great upper body workout when the ice in thick. Also you can get a attachment so you can hook it up to a portable electric drill. Buy the best manual auger you can find you won't regret it.
sincerely Catfish
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

1. Get a Fin-Bore. I've owned just about every bargain brand hand auger over the years and they are simply the best and worh every penny of the extra cost.

2. I have a 6" but would reccomend an 8" especially if you plan on doing any crappie fishing. With their body shape a decent slab will fill that 6" hole awfully fast.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

If you plan on fishing with a partner most of the time, get the 8". Two guys on an 8" can cut through 24" of ice almost as fast as power auger. An 8" does require more effort than a 6" if you're alone though. Good blades make a HUGE difference.
Remember NEVER BANG THE BLADES ON THE ICE TO REMOVE DEBRIS!!! #1 cause of dull blades.
Tight lines,
Yannick
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

fisherguy33 wrote:If you plan on fishing with a partner most of the time, get the 8". Two guys on an 8" can cut through 24" of ice almost as fast as power auger. An 8" does require more effort than a 6" if you're alone though. Good blades make a HUGE difference.
Remember NEVER BANG THE BLADES ON THE ICE TO REMOVE DEBRIS!!! #1 cause of dull blades.
Tight lines,
Yannick
what he said.

I have owed forty to fifty ice augers, so I do have a frame of reference......... :roll:

Doug
Lonnie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lonnie »

FinBore III hand auger all the way!! I use a 6 inch for walleye because I get worn out using an 8 inch all day .. Carry a chipper in case you get a monster and need to make the hole bigger. If I need anything bigger than a 6 inch - I switch to a power auger.
Get the best you can afford - you never want the fear of cutting holes to be a reason for not moving.
Whatever you decide on ... Good Luck this season!
LK
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

Bought a "Sub-Zero" 8" last year and just yesterday it was injured. Poor Sub-Zero. The plastic wing-nut on the bolt that links the two halves broke... so I had to make my own and now I have a bolt that I need a wrench for. Wasn't even really sub-zero temps! No biggie. But still its a design flaw.

I had always used a NorMark (I think, it was blue/red) for 5-6 years without a problem until I forgot it at the hunt camp in Nfld. Blades were fine on the Sub-Zero auger though.
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

Doug wrote:
fisherguy33 wrote:If you plan on fishing with a partner most of the time, get the 8". Two guys on an 8" can cut through 24" of ice almost as fast as power auger. An 8" does require more effort than a 6" if you're alone though. Good blades make a HUGE difference.
Tight lines,
Yannick
what he said.

I have owed forty to fifty ice augers, so I do have a frame of reference......... :roll:

Doug
Ice auger Guru! Any tips on sharpening a flat blade auger? Just curious... I was about to hit it with my knife sharpener stone...

Saw a sharpener at Crappy tire that was endorsed by a fella with a plastic hand grip... looked alright. But I already got a knife sharpener... :?:
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I have been singularly unable to re-sharpen ice auger blades. I can achieve an edge with which I could shave, but it will not cut ice. The angle on those blades is extremely critical. I even had a letter from Normark at one time, when they offered blade re-sharpening, where they admitted that even factory re-sharpening was not as good as new blades. :shock:

There is a business out Odessa way that DOES successfully sharpen blades, according to our very own Superdad, who sent me this note:

You can contact EDDY'S Saw & Tool Sharpening - 613-386-3755 at 6298 Highway 2, Odessa ON.

It's approx halfway between L&A Highway # 4 and L&A Highway # 7, on the old Highway no 2.

Here it is ice fishing season and I have not taken my (DULL) old set of blades out there yet............. :roll:

Doug
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

I prefer the offset handles. Lets you use both arms for turning. It takes a little getting use to at first. Remember an auger with sharp blades does not require you to apply downward pressure but will pull itself down.
I find it doubtful that 2 people would be able to operate together an auger with offset handles.

Rick
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Doug wrote:I have been singularly unable to re-sharpen ice auger blades. I can achieve an edge with which I could shave, but it will not cut ice. The angle on those blades is extremely critical. I even had a letter from Normark at one time, when they offered blade re-sharpening, where they admitted that even factory re-sharpening was not as good as new blades. :shock:

There is a business out Odessa way that DOES successfully sharpen blades, according to our very own Superdad, who sent me this note:

You can contact EDDY'S Saw & Tool Sharpening - 613-386-3755 at 6298 Highway 2, Odessa ON.

It's approx halfway between L&A Highway # 4 and L&A Highway # 7, on the old Highway no 2.

Here it is ice fishing season and I have not taken my (DULL) old set of blades out there yet............. :roll:

Doug
Hey Doug.....try using shims between the blade and auger until you get the proper angle....I used shims all the time when i had a hand auger and sharpened my own blades... :wink:
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:
Doug wrote:I have been singularly unable to re-sharpen ice auger blades. I can achieve an edge with which I could shave, but it will not cut ice. The angle on those blades is extremely critical. I even had a letter from Normark at one time, when they offered blade re-sharpening, where they admitted that even factory re-sharpening was not as good as new blades. :shock:

Doug
Hey Doug.....try using shims between the blade and auger until you get the proper angle....I used shims all the time when i had a hand auger and sharpened my own blades... :wink:
Good idea, but I am at heart a lazy old fart, and if EDDY can sharpen my blades, he's the MAN! 8)

Doug