Lake Nipissing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Lake Nipissing

Post by Markus »

Hi guys, I'm considering planning a trip to Nipissing for a bass fish. Has anyone been? What parts of the lake hold good populations of bass? Any proven tecniques work better then others?

Any tips would be appreciated.
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

Don't talk to me about the %^&#$ing Nippissing!!!

5 days, 8 guys, pouring rain = 3 pike and 1 walleye between us all THATs IT!!!!

We were fishing the West Arm, lovely spot but man was the bite off. Blew like a bugger from the West all the time we were there and the water was 3-4 feet higher than normal.

Rant over, did I help ya any Markus :?: :shock: :lol:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I know you weren't targeting Bass, but any sign of them?
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

I didn't see any caught myself, but I just talked to one of the guys who was with me and he said that they had a couple take the odd spinnerbait when searching for pike around the deadheads. But I just checked the map for the West Arm area and Bass aren't mentioned as a "Hot Spot" species.

But, that the West Arm, not the Nippissing proper.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Hey Marcus. Fishing in nipissing was slow this year compared to past years. I think it may have to do with the weed growth in most lakes being behind. I searched callander bay hi and low and there was hardly any weed growth. I think this was end of may,early June. Fishing should pick up. One thing about Nipissing Smallies. they will hit any lure. I catch them with cranks,minnow baits,spinner baits,buzz baits, Spoons and everything else you can throw at them Stay in the small bay(Callander) if you are after smallies and fish the base and around Wasi falls. it is the local smallies and pickeral hangout. Good luck. I know you will enjoy your trip. By the way. My most productive lure on nippising for bass is a simple White grub 3 inch :) Try to find jig heads with little spinners on the side. they are Deadly on Nipissing.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Marcus,

I don't know Nippissing myself, but from past recollections, I believe Trexellunge has made several trips there (muskie, primarily). You could PM him, I suppose, as I haven't seen him conversing on FH lately.

W.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Nipissing - The Quest for Fish

Post by Seaweed »

This is an amazing lake Marcus that will either keep giving you fish or keep you coming back for more.

I have made return trips to the West Arm for the past three years and this year will be four. Can't say that the lake has been very good to me but the scenery .... well lets just say I never get bored.

Here is a link to check out.

http://www.fishontario.com/best-spots/n ... ecies.html

Do a search on the board and you will come up with a lot more input to go on. Personally I would go to the west end of the lake if I were you despite the fact that the majority of the outfitters are at the East end the West end isn't fished as hard.

PS: This year I think I have finally dialed in the early August muskie game and I too will be testing out the smallies in the big lake a bit too now that I have a more reliable ride.

WARNING:

This lake really gets wild real quick. I have heard some nightmare stories from many a team that barely made it back home while fishing and the lake whipped up. There are so many submerged rocks too you better buy a couple of maps for the area you are planning on hitting. I have one for the western end and the west arm and I am grateful for it every time out.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

If you want bass I'd aviod Nippissing. The water is too cold and stained to be a great bass lake. Lots of other lakes I'd choose before Nippissing. Nippissing is more for walleye and muskies.
1. Charleston ; maybe the best smallmouth lake in Ontario.
2. Simcoe ; loaded with bass
3. Any of the Kawartha lakes
4. Bay of Quinte
5. too many to name
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Avoid lake nipissing? I've caught many HUGE BASS in Nippising. Night and day. I admit they aren't as abundant as before but dont kid yourself. nippissing will rival any lake for Bass.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

I didn't mean to knock Nippissing's bass fishing, they are there. I think if one was to target bass Nippissing is a long way to travel when there are better (in my opinion) lakes a lot closer. I try to get up to Nippissing every couple of years and never really experianced great bass fishing, although I must say they are never my intended target species. A great lake to visit however with lots to explore. Beware the west wind.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Well if this was a few years back I would have to totally disagree with you. Nippissing has given me some extrordinary fishing experiences.I've been going up to nippissing for the past 10 years. You go on may 24 weekend when nippising opens and hold on to your rod. IT IS AMAZING. But I know what you are saying. Fishing has declined in the last 2 years. Its still good but not worth the drive considering you have Simcoe and georgian bay only an hour away from Toronto. I mostly fish Callander Bay though and I think the Main lake should be good all year long. But You are right. Beware high winds in the main lake and rock shoals. it gets nasty in a hurry.
trexellunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trexellunge »

Hi Markus. Most of my fishing experience on Lake Nipissing has been on the Western section (West Bay, West Arm, Northwest Bay\Cache Bay).
I would have to admit that this section of the lake is not spectacular for bass, although you will catch some. I don't normally target bass too much in the lake, because the potential of hooking into a huge musky at any moment is there (bass don't normally hit musky lures). I do catch ALOT of pike while fishing for musky, and the walleye fishing can be very good if you target them. The bass fishing is decent in the Upper French River section of Lake Nipissing (Dokis), and I've heard the East end of the lake can be good at times also....maybe the South Shore area. Hope you hit paydirt Markus. I'm going up to the West Arm in a few days myself.
Visorboy
Participant
Participant

Nippissing's got my vote

Post by Visorboy »

Hey Markus,

This has been the first year that I've been to Nippissing, once for ice fishing back in Feb, and again this past May 24 week. Ice fishing was a tad slow, but we got near our limits on the 2 days we were there. The spring trip was a totally different story, we caught our limits each day we were there, and it was quite an experience for this rookie angler. We hooked into 9 species of fish during our 4 day stay, from Bass to Sturgeon. If you're into Pike and Muskie, then you're in for a treat. We hooked into a lot of Pikes, and 2 Muskies while there. One was caught on a 3" storm soft plastic diving lure, and the other on a 5" gold yozuri knock-off crank bait from wally mart.
I agree with Johnny Bass on the white twister tails, I got a 2#+ Bass and the Pikes trolling/casting a black 1/4 jig and 4" twister tail. The eye's loved chartruse jig's tipped with a worm.

We stayed by the South River at Adventure Camp Ohio, and rented our cedar strip boat from Angler's Haven Marina on Fish Bay. Marc the owner is a great guy, and part of the reason we went back there this past Spring.
Fish Bay has quite a few patch of weeds, one just in front of the marina, and left of it. Trolling thru Dad's Red, produced one 12 lb pike, the muskie, and a 10 lb drum. There's a few nice drop-offs there.

Good luck on your trip,
VB
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Lake Nipissing

Post by eye-tracker »

Markus wrote:Hi guys, I'm considering planning a trip to Nipissing for a bass fish. Has anyone been? What parts of the lake hold good populations of bass? Any proven tecniques work better then others?

Any tips would be appreciated.
...ah so now we bring light to the subject. :lol:

Here is my tip Markus:
Just smile while casting and don't look right into the camera. BTW a little eye shadow below the eye makes your eyes stand out better on film/video. :lol: :lol:
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I understand that the camera adds an extra 10 pounds to your girth... 8)

W.