Lake Clear help

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Lake Clear help

Post by Bass Seeker »

Hello All,

I'm new here, first post in fact. I live in NJ and have often fished the North Bay area as well as with Cochrane Air (Lake Audrey).
I'm thinking of trying Opeongo Mountain resort on Lake Clear south of Pembroke Ont. I'd appreciate it if anyone who's been to this camp and/or has fished this lake could tell me if this is a good choice or might I be better off elsewhere. I mostly C&R walleye and bass, when looking for something for the pan I go after crappie and perch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for specific spots just general info. If I can be of any help with fishing down this way, saltwater in particular I'd be happy to oblige.
Thanks very much
Last edited by Bass Seeker on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catfish25
Participant
Participant

Post by catfish25 »

hello bass seeker, personally I've never fished the lake but I own a back road map book that reported on the lake and stated that that it was great for fishing, with the current species in this lake are perch, smallmouth bass, pike , walleye and lake trout. Please practice catch and realease. Also It would be nice if you could post the report. Thanks bassseeker
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Seeker »

Thanks Catfish. Most all of my fishing is C&R. When I do want a meal I target panfish, mainly perch and crappie and slab bluegills. Thanks again and I'll be sure to post a report....still in the planning stages.
catfish25
Participant
Participant

Post by catfish25 »

you should think about buying a eastern ontario backroad map book because it gives reports for all the local fishing lakes and I have found it quite handy since I've bought it. If the fishing happens to be slow on lake clear you could try golden lake, lake dore or calabogie and also black donald lake. I have had some luck on golden lake. Hope you have a good fishing trip :!:
sincerely Catfish
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I fish Lake Clear a couple of times a year mostly for Bass and it is a great lake. There are good numbers of smallmouth bass as well as the odd largemouth and pike. We often catch walleye while for fishing for bass and have caught quite a few over the 20 inch minimum. We stayed in the cabins this fall for a couple of days and it was very nice. They are well equipped and literally a few feet from the docks. The restaurant has good food and the people at the campsite as well as the owners seem like great people. I sent you a PM with some info on another place you may want to check out not far from there if you are interested.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

SM and Walleye fishing in Lake Clear is good. Like everything, it is weather dependent. You could get shut out or you could hit a motherlode. I think that the pics on the resort website are pretty representative of what you'll find in the lake. For walleye fishing, you don't have to venture any further than a few hundred yards off shore from the Opeongo resort.

Mick
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

One the most picturesque lakes in the region....Smallies are built like nowhere else I've seen....walleye get in the way of the smallies... :lol:

RJ
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by D-mo »

the key to this lake is florocarbon leaders ... bigtime, when the fishing is slow.

d-mo
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Seeker »

Thanks for the info guys, I truly appreciate it. I'll also mention that 99% of time my pal and I practice C&R, especially with bass, in fact neither of us keep any of them. Panfish and an occasional walleye.
Mike
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

that lake ,as well as golden lake has been well managed by the gov't with good stocking of walleye the last several years,it was nearly dead until they stepped back into the picture.
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Seeker »

Again, thanks very much for the info. It's very helpful when trying to make a decision about a body of water and lodging sight unseen and with little local knowledge. I'll mention again, if I can be of help to anyone planning a trip down this way I'd be more than happy to oblige. A lot of folks from Ontario and Quebec vacation here in Cape May county. Right now the stripers and bluefish are here and Tog (Tautog aka blackfish) reopens this Saturday.
Mike