Day trip to Clayton/Taylor Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Day trip to Clayton/Taylor Lake

Post by fishmaster »

Hey Guys,
I'm heading to Clayton/Taylor Lake early next (tues. I hope) and I'd really like some help. I have never been there before and I want to catch some nice largies. I'm willing to take someone with me from Ottawa if they know the area. I'm staying in Ottawa all week next week and it would be great to meet another Hawk for a day of fishing. What kind of fishing should I expect, is there lots of weeds,rocks wood????. What gear should I bring? I have a 16 ft boat with a 70hp motor, is it going to be a problem to launch it or is there a good launch? If anyone wants to meet up with me next week for a day of fishing email me or PM me and I will give you a number to reach me at or I can call you. 3 more days till Bass Season(on the Ottawa). :P
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

The lake is very, very shallow and full of submerged timber.
We fishd there for walleye/pike on opening day; cruising happily along down the middle of the lake and thunk! - hit a log. Stopped and looked around and we were in a minefield of deadheads and submerged logs. It was blind luck we just happened to miss them all. There is a deeper channel/passage through the lake somewhere. My advice is be careful and go slow.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Fish master great spot...but as Saskie says be careful..lots of dead heads!
Launch at Beatons. It's a traier park..Geez I hope I remembered the name correctly. I wish I could go with ya cause I am sure I can get ya through the rough stuff and MT and I have a spot there with tonnes of Nice Bass. Impossible to explain on here...I'd have to be there to direct ya. Have a great time!
drdave
Participant
Participant

Post by drdave »

fishmaster make sure you bring extra shear pins for your motor, Clayton Lake is veryyy shallow, I broke a shear pin there 2 weeks ago, and I was in my canoe with a 2 horse motor so with your larger motor your asking fer trouble. (but great bass fishing that day!)

Also best to use topwater lures to avoid getting stuck on the stumps.

Tayor Lake is deeper and there are pickerel in that lake. Supposedly there is a free boat launch on the 12th concession but I have always launched right in Clayton by the dam.

Like Saskie says go slow..