Weekend report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Weekend report

Post by Johnny Bass »

Decided to go fishing on Friday. There was a nice wind and the skies where blue and A west wind. I called everyone I know to go halves on a boat and no one could take the day off. I was itching to go fishing since I haven't done too much fishing since both my old partners now have jobs :( I was ready to rent a boat myself. Then I remeber there was this young guy that used to always ask me to take him fishing when the season opens. i'm thinking he works but called him anyways. Sure enough he works. But he decides to take the day off. He wanted to fish from shore but I said lets take a boat if you wanna have a real good fishing trip. HE dodesn't care when we leave so I pick him up at 5:30. I'm pumped like you wouldn't believe. We get too georgian bay and it is pouring. Really pee pee me off. Since the weather network made no mention of rain. I asked him if he wanted to wait till the rain stopped he said i wanna fish. I'm like this guy is a true fisherman :) and of coarse there was no west wind blowing :x Fished all morning and only managed to catch a few monster bass(yes I took pictures of them for the kid) and released them. And I hook a hammerhandle pike. Then i hooked a few more big bass(no pics) and I hooked a bigger pike. My Friend couldn't believe all the luck i was having and he didn't even catch one. Then It was like around 4 or something and he started complaining. he says I'm doing something I'm not telling him. I tell him to slow down his retrieve. He was burning it all day. He starts saying we should have got worms. I tell him worms are too annoying with all the pan fish. Then he says lets bring the boat back and fish from shgre. i said you would rather fish from shore than cover all this water with the chances of catching a trophy? I said dont worry. the day is not over. I say lets check one more spot. He starts saying I dont think there is any fish in here. Do I not hook a fish right when he is saying this? I bring it in and it is a 4lb 23 inch Pickeral. He is freaking and said he has never seen such a big pickeral. I was telling him that its just a baby and I've caughten huge ones. SO he starts complaining again.lol. he says he has no confidence in lures. I decided to give him my rod and the lure that caught the pickeral. DOnt I use his lure and hit a fish 5 minutes later?lol He know is getting frustrated. It was either a big pike, muskie or walleye and spits out the hook :evil: Then he screams I got something. He had a 3 pound bass on. He tried to horse it in. I told him to take his time and the bass jumped and spit out the hook.lol At least he caught one I'm thinking to my self and reasured him that if I hadn't openewd up my big mouth he would have caught it. then I showed him this little trick with the lure at the boat. Doesn't he hook something right at the boat? This thing took him right under the boat and was pulling drag like crazy(lucky my reel's drag is always adjusted for big fish) Doesn't he pull it in and it is a 29 inch pickeral? 8+ pounds?At least thats what my digital says. He was freaking out and said he would never fish from shore again and wanted to catch an even bigger one.lol This kid was estatic. he's only 18 and caught a big pickeral like that?> he says he hasn't even seen them on TV that big. I told him that was a fish of a lifetime(for an 18 year old at least) :wink: Doesn't he on his very next cast hook something huge again? He couldn't even bring it up and after a brief fight it got off. Then you know what happens? He casts my favorite lure and the line snaps and mu lure goes bye-bye. He was all depressed and didn't want to fish no more. So I decided to give him a taste of top water in 6-7 feet of water. He hooks a monster bass right off the bait and was freaking out. I hooked 2 and one was HUGE. I didn't really fight him because I knew it was OOS. He jumped and spit out my hook. I'd say well over 6lb. I actaully thought it was a huge walleye at first :shock: Then I hooked a 5lb pike. He jumped right out of the water to grab my top water. We lost the chain with the 2 pikes from the beggining but we kept the pics. He clobbered them as soon as they came in the boat and he kept even the fish I caught. ALl in all after rain winds and sunshine we had a great day And ther kid was a real trooper, wiyth all the bad weather and all.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Also decided to head back there sunday with my cousin. Was west wind again(according to the weather network). It was windy as heck and there was no west wind. It was a south west wind and hard to stay on the drift i wanted. We got there at about 10am. Fished all over and I caught a few pike both 3.2 pounds. But one looked way bigger than the other and the small one fought like you wouldn't believe.Then I hook a few bass (hardly over 1-2 lbs) in 12 FOW, Had 2 follows of pickeral(between the 3-5 lb range) And that was about it. We left at 6pm and my cousin got skunked. Some days are great others just average...Were thinking of heading to moon river next week. By the way. Wait until you see the pic of that monster pickeral. If I catch enough monsters next week, I'll finish the roll and develop them.