Where the Heck are the Fish in Mississippi Lake?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarface
Participant
Participant

Where the Heck are the Fish in Mississippi Lake?

Post by scarface »

Last Sunday which would be October 18 we went fishing at Mississippi lake as we have done almost every Sunday all summer even though they have pulled in the docks, only to find out that the fish on this particular day have stopped biting. All summer we have basically caught our limit, we would throw the smaller ones back at the end of the day. Does any one know why? Should I continue to go fishing? Or hang up my rod for the year? :?
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Because its not summer anymore!Its fall. The fish have moved out of bays and shallow water into deeper part of the lake. If you still have he desire to fish shallow fish structure like logs and rocks in the afternoon as the will hold the suns heat longer. The way you fish ( at least) in the summer and in the fall is like day and night. I do get the odd fish in the shallows, but most of my time is spent fishing 30fow or deeper.

Anthony

P.S DO NOT THINK ABOUT PUTTING THOSE RODS AWAY. TOO EARLY.
Northamfishing Tackle
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

You might be experiencing what I call the "fall water turnaround". With the recent cold mornings and evenings I've noticed that the water temp here on the river has dropped considerably and as of yesterday afternoon, the surface temp only 50F...this surface temp mixes quickly with the cooler bottom temps with the help from all the wind we've had such as last night and this morning, resulting in the fall water turnaround :) From my experience, this turnaround allows the fish to move more freely around the river or lake and they tend to cruise in deeper water.

Try changing up your presentation and technique from what you were using all summer. I find that live bait works well this time of year...

I wouldn't hang up your rod just yet....you have a good chance of catching a trophy during this time of year! :wink:

Good luck!

TnMH
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

The fish did'nt stop biting scarface.....they've just change location. As a matter of fact the fish are suicidal right now and will only get better....if that's even possible. :lol:
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Was out on the Mississippi last Thursday - in just over four hours, we put 41 bass (mixture of smallies and largies) in the boat. All fish came from weed clumps and lines in six to 10 feet of water. Every single fish came from "rip jigging" bucktail jigs...nothing overly big, with the average being about 2lbs.

Fish were definitely on fire that day...

Water temp. was a chilly 46 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

where are the fish???

Post by Big Jim »

Sounds like the guy with the cool hat caught them all :shock: :D 8)

BUCKTAILS... 8) 8) :D :!:

BIG JIM :wink:
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Jealousy will get you no where, Jimmy.... :lol: :wink:

Getting to work on knitting a similar hat for your big noggin' as we speak... :shock:

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
larrybass
Participant
Participant

Post by larrybass »

Now that's some serious hot tips there Justin! 8) Fishin' the Miss with bucktails like we used to do back in the day, eh Jimbob? Big Jim taught me much about them deadly little puppies over three decades ago and it's Super to see his teachings are still spreading around out there! Go Natural, or go home, we used to say. Then, it's all in how You use that little 'tail of yours after that. :oops:

As you well know I'm sure, bucktails are a lure that will Never go out of style and will produce fish for Anyone who fishes them often enough. :o

Congrats on such a fine days catch of bassies on one of my very favorite lakes in the Ottawa area, too Justin. :wink: LarryB