WHAT'S THE WEIRDEST THING YOU HAVE CAUGHT FISHING??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: weird catches...I WIN!!!

Post by Robert Goulet »

Big Jim wrote:
Oooop's...almost forgot, when we were kid's we caught a body on a Canadian Wiggler behind the Parliament Buildings... :shock: :shock: poor guy went in all the way up in Braeside in February on a snow machine.
You caught a dead body?!?! That definitely takes the cake.
mont0073
Participant
Participant

Post by mont0073 »

A beaver, didn't get it in. :)
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

While jigging for Salmon with my dad on the west coast, I thought I had caught an underwater cable on the bottom when the line fetched up tight. After a minute or so of straining my bacon trying to budge the jig, I was getting ready to cut the line when my reels drag started to scream. Now I figured I had on one of those giant halibut. Wrong again.....A minute or so later, a bull sea lion popped up about 50 yds from the boat with my jig hanging out of it's neck. He must have gone at least a thousand lbs. I'll never forget the look on dad's face when he asked with a grin.."You want the net or the gaff??" Didn't need either as the beast took off and broke the line.
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Caught a bird cage bottom bouncing in the Ottawa, I just hope there was no bird in it when it went in :lol:
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

sturgeon on a bull dawg
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

These are some crazy weird replies! Especially Big Jim's! :shock:

And I thought WIG's lawnchair was an odd catch. :lol:

W.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I caught pneumonia on a fishing trip, was a cold wet weekend back in Oct 1988... bad catch...
:oops:
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Man I could write a book about this very subject, I've caught just about everything from lawnchairs to rocks to nets to beer cans.

I caught an antique rod once, another time I caught a zebco rod with a catfish at the other end. Turned out a guy fishing off a dock had lost it 5 hours prior.

Same area I caught my lure and 60 feet of power pro that I had lost 3 weeks prior when the line was wrapped around the tip when a fish hit. Funny thing is I rarely ever cast that spot and I just cast right through a weedbed when I saw the line hooked by my lure.

Might not be the weirdest but sure was the funniest, my client caught a bag of rocks once, we were fishing a steep dropoff so as the bag fell down the cliff it gave the effect of a huge muskie headshakes. That was untill he got it within 20 feet of the boat and it was dead weight. Turned out to be a homemade marker with 1 litre oil container still attached.

I've also caught the same fish 4.5 years apart.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Post by fenderbender »

A guy's mother in law on the evening before halloween. I kid you not. The guy works at the same place I do. Didn't catch it actually, but it was floating in the weeds near shore, just below the Quebec bridge near pembroke. We though it was just a post or something laying in the water. We were pickeral fishing in a nearby hole, went in for a closer look and . . . .

Anyway, the aftermath is quite a story in itself!
kevin scott
Participant
Participant

Post by kevin scott »

I caught a snapping turtle when I was fishing at our cottage on the Moon River

Decided I wasn't going to lose my jig to a turtle so I netted it & brought it in the boat ... not the most brilliant of ideas

Prefishing the Rideau River with Mike Merrill a few years back, when he hooked a snapping turtle

I also have 2 seagulls to my credit when I was fishing with Brian Harrington (sorry about the mess on the boat)
kevin scott
Participant
Participant

Post by kevin scott »

I caught a snapping turtle when I was fishing at our cottage on the Moon River

Decided I wasn't going to lose my jig to a turtle so I netted it & brought it in the boat ... not the most brilliant of ideas

Prefishing the Rideau River with Mike Merrill a few years back, when he hooked a snapping turtle
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

fenderbender wrote:A guy's mother in law on the evening before halloween. I kid you not. The guy works at the same place I do. Didn't catch it actually, but it was floating in the weeds near shore, just below the Quebec bridge near pembroke. We though it was just a post or something laying in the water. We were pickeral fishing in a nearby hole, went in for a closer look and . . . .

Anyway, the aftermath is quite a story in itself!
Now that is traumatizing... :shock:

W.
Fishin Musician
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishin Musician »

Once I caught a sea lamprey with a 12lb king still attached to it.

I snagged the sea lamprey and the ugly SOB would not let go the poor Salmon. It sure did after I cut it's head off.

Next was pike but what makes this strange as I caught the same pike the day before, put it on a stringer and it somehow broke the stringer the next day I caught this same pike with part of my metal stringer still in its mouth. I had to let him go.
fishermccann
Participant
Participant

Post by fishermccann »

A crikket bat out of the Rouge River in Scarborough.
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Post by BC FD »

About 20 years ago a bunch of us were fishing the Black River just outside of Watertown. My budy hooked an old screen door. I don't remember how much lead and other stuff was attached but it was covered.