Trailer & Boat project

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gillstalker
Participant
Participant

Trailer & Boat project

Post by Gillstalker »

Well, the time has come to get a boat. My family has had a cottage up at white lake for some time, and the old 15' Doral up there is a little worse for the wear. I thought I would buy a trailer for it, and bring her back to her past glory. I picked up a trailer this week, and will be restoring it a bit to get ready for the boat. I got it off Kijiji for a steal, and is a perfect little trailer for the Doral. I'm pretty excited to get started on the project and hit the lake next season.

First; New floor, carpet, seats and some lighting
Then; Fish finder, trolling motor, rod holders, Ahhhhhhh!

I'll post pic's as I progress (if I can upload them...) :?
G.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

*Stands and claps!*

AWESOME!

I love the restore/rebuild route and I have done it before. One suggestion; do not skimp on a particle mask. Buy a good one because when you start to sand the new glass and or chop out the old fiberglass, the particles are extremely dangerous. Never mind the fumes from the new glass.

Have fun... what kind of weave are you using?

Craig
Gillstalker
Participant
Participant

Post by Gillstalker »

This is my first try and rebuilding a boat, so I'm not sure of what to expect. I know the carpet and seats are wrecked but how bad the damage to the deck platform is, I don't know. Once I get it home I'll be able to assess the situation. I'll be re-wrapping the gunwale sides and dash piece, and either painting the whole thing, or just bringing back the faded finish.

Once I get underway I'll pick your brain for sure!
Thanks,

G.
Gillstalker
Participant
Participant

Post by Gillstalker »

well, some progress since Spring is here now...I rebuilt the trailer I bought over in Gatineau and picked up the boat from White Lake. Fit like a dream, some minor roller adjustments and I was off to the races!

So, the boat. Need a prop and the skeg rebuilt to make the motor perfect, other than that, mechanically it's A+. I've already removed the carpet, seats, vinyl pieces, cut out the floor and removed all of the "frozen foam"...yes, frozen! Lot's of water in that stuff man! I also removed a lot of the hardware, steering system, gunwale rails, etc. I'm happy with the progress so far. Next, I have to remove the motor (already built the motor stand) and fix the transom. I thought it would be alright, but it's very wet and half rotted in there. Once the motor is off I'll be able to assess what needs replacing....
painter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Boat re-build.

Post by painter »

Do you have any pics of the on going project ?

I am in a similar situation, I've gutted alot of mine right back to the hull. Rotten plywood all over the place. Replacing the carpet stem to stern while I'm at it.

T
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

OK if your time is worth $20 per hour and you have spent HOW MANY hours so far.............. :lol:

I respect folks who have the skills and determination to tackle projects like that. I am not at all handy. :( So I have to spend my children's inheritance and get it done right by somebody who knows what they are doing, rather than attempt to do something that I know in advance is beyond my ability. :roll:

GOOD LUCK on the project!

Doug
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Doug wrote: So I have to spend my children's inheritance
Spend it all Doug !

My father keeps reminding my brothers and I "If there is a nickle left over when I die, I F#$%ed up"

I hope he doesn't have any left over, and enjoys life to the fullest.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

MLR wrote:
Doug wrote: So I have to spend my children's inheritance
Spend it all Doug !

My father keeps reminding my brothers and I "If there is a nickle left over when I die, I F#$%ed up"

I hope he doesn't have any left over, and enjoys life to the fullest.
Sounds like your father and I have similar philosophies........... :wink:

Doug
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

j
Participant
Participant

Post by j »

I am doing a similar project on a boat I got last fall. Now that the weather is nice, I've got the floor & stringers pulled out so far. Next the motor comes off and the cap of the boat to be raised so I can replace the transom. I am interested to see how your project comes along.

Here's a great site for boating and restoring I've gotten addicted to over the winter. Tons of info on here, these guys have done it all.

http://forums.iboats.com/

Good luck.

Jay
Gillstalker
Participant
Participant

Post by Gillstalker »

Jeesh, can someone tell me how to upload pics to this string....I have no idea man....

G.
hooker
Participant
Participant

repair boats

Post by hooker »

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SAFETY DEPOSIT
IN A COFFIN GETER DONE AND GOOD LUCK TO
ALL ON THEJR PROJECTS

HOOKER
j
Participant
Participant

Post by j »

Gillstalker wrote:Jeesh, can someone tell me how to upload pics to this string....I have no idea man....

G.
G. You need to find a site to host your pics first, like photobucket. Once you create an account and upload your pics there, you can copy the link and paste it in your thread here.

Hope that helps.

Jay
Gillstalker
Participant
Participant

Post by Gillstalker »

That would be easier...cool, stay tuned, I'm on it!

G.