Calming THe Newbie Nerves

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

1) any one who gives ya a hard time is an ah0le.. to my knowledge no one has been born with the "backing up the trailer successfully" geene that I know of...

2) everyone I know would gladly help if asked... I've apparently done it so bad in the past that unsolicited help was offered!! LOL... but i'm better now...

3) here's the tip that made me go from 60min at the launch to 10min...

a) give yourself 20feet of extra room... most launches you drive towards them, then make a 180degree turn at the launch to get into "position"... drive a bit further than you normally would.. 20 or more feet... helps straighten you out that much more.... Yes, that's 20more feet of backing up.. but it'll help make the process smoother, so it's a good deal.. and, most importantly, it sets your wheels (all of them) into a straight forward position... This is critical for the next step.

b) put your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel and do not let go for the entire process. Now you have established the "straight" position... if your hand is at the bottom of the wheel, your car's front wheels are straight. Never let go of the wheel, or you'll lose this reference. (if you do, go back to the above step)

c) Using your mirrors, or whatever, backup SLOWLY... If you want your trailer to move to the left... RAISE YOUR HAND TO THE LEFT.... If you want your trailer to go tot he right... RAISE YOUR HAND TO THE RIGHT... Once your trailer shows signs of moving in the direction that you want, quickly return your hand to the bottom of the wheel (never let go of the wheel)... this will get your front-wheels (car) pointing straight and push the trailin in the direction it is pointing...

d) if you start to get out of shape/line.. stop, put it in forward, go forward until your back in shape, and start again... A little mistake can be fixed fast, but can go wrong faster if you continue...

Often I found (and still find) when I nudge the trailer to the left, and accidently over-steer it a bit, I have to completely stop the car, think, LIFT HAND TO THE RIGHT TO GO RIGHT, and then start the car moving again for the correction... I know when I was learning, it was a VERY stop-think-start-stop-thinkmore-start-stop again type process...
RextypeS
Participant
Participant

Post by RextypeS »

That is great advice another thing that you can do is just practice in an empty parking lot if your nervous on the launch just go to canadian tire and buy a couple of those road cones and practice backing up in between them from a couple different angles. you will be launching your boat like a pro in no time
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

This link has some additional and useful information

http://www.ehow.com/way_5128371_instruc ... ailer.html

If you pull your boat with a hatchback or suv, it may also be helpful at times if you open the hatch.
AngryBeaver71
Participant
Participant

Post by AngryBeaver71 »

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I've been practicing, and finally starting to get it. 8)

I have no issues with trailering my rig, it's the fear of being the laughing stock of the launch!! With all of the friendly advice and words of encouragement, I should be able to improve a tenfold! :D :D :D

Screamin' Reels! :twisted:
Deester
Gordo_Mumbo
Participant
Participant

Post by Gordo_Mumbo »

here's a tip to try in a empty parking lot. Once you get the hang of it, a ramp wont seem so overwhelming.

Keep your left hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move it in the direction you want the boat to go.

practice makes perfect.

I think people are forgiving of someone learning.

Just have your boat prepared before you start on you way to the ramp. Nothing more frustrating then waiting for someone to load/prep their boat while blocking others from using a ramp.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

I have to agree with folks on this one... do what you can to limit your time on the ramp (i.e. prep before) and people will be forgiving of mistakes.

I like the "left hand on bottom of wheel and turn in the direction you want the boat to go" tip.
Also, don't fully let go of the brakes... control the speed and especially when learning... the slower the better.
When lining up, try to swing around so that you can go as straight back as possible (though depending on the launch, this isn't always possible).
... and all the other good tips/pointers already mentioned! :)

Boat launch should be fun... not stressful! 8)

cheers,
tallpaul
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

tallpaul wrote: Boat launch should be fun... not stressful! 8)

cheers,
tallpaul

There was no stress the other day when you backed my trailer in the water a Lake X.....just like a Pro.... 8)
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Dee

What you need to do is go to the Morrisburg launch (or any other free launch) on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon, and watch the gong show that goes on.

After you see how people launch and trailer their boats you will have no fear of being a laughing stock.
RIVERKILLER
Participant
Participant

Post by RIVERKILLER »

Once again Dee you have me in stitches. I am glad to see someone enjoying there boat !! :lol: Just so you know WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE so do not worry and judging by the responses here you will have no problem . This is what I love about Fishawk and the boating community. There are always many people willing to help and offer advice.Every piece of advice given here was fantastic for new boaters and will definitely help not only you but many other people. My best piece of advice which has already been mentioned here is opening up the hatch on your vehicle or putting down the tailgate because it just makes it easier to see the boat when you are backing up. So once again enjoy the boat and I will definitely see you on the water and we will get together in the near furture for a little catching(i will bring the baby duck's :wink: ).
p.s hope your enjoying your boat as well Dominic :lol:
snapper
Participant
Participant

Post by snapper »

I don`t know if this will help but!!! the easist way when backing up is make small steering wheel adjustment by the rule FOLLOW THE TRAILER.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is if your trailer is a roller and not a bunk trailer make sure you keep the front hook on until you are in the water or else the boat can roll off the trailer.

By the way if I am ever at the same launch as you I will gladly hold the rope for your boat while I help you back the trailer in the water. I was a nwebie with the trailer a few years ago but now with having to back my trailer into a tempo shelter you get used to it. But it still happens that the trailer turns too much when I am in a hurry. your best bet is too use small movements on the steering wheel cause if not by the time you the trailer turning it is too late.

I doubt that we will meet at my Favorite launch(Petrie)
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again