Toilet Brush??? Ottawa River East

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

I totally agree that it's gross and a disgusting recurring problem that should be corrected 'toute suite'!! :evil:

But between the time of the 'spill' and the time you had your boat in, that 'fecal matter' would have been through the Ottawa, into the St. Lawrence, and most likely headin' out into the Atlantic. :shock: :shock:

I agree w/ Carl, there aren't too many places that won't leave a 'bathtub ring' on yer boat, just an unfortunate by-product of an over-indulgent society that is for the most part completely apathetic!! :cry: :cry:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Back in the 90's when the Exxon Valdez ran a ground that was an oil ''Spill ''

When raw sewage flows into the Ottawa River that would be a '' Discharge ''
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

CARL.

he sai a ring off FECAL......not that manyy place leave those on a boat.

i sher hope not.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

but yes a lot off place do make a ring on boat..but not just the same stuff.

joco
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Joco, I think the ring of fecal matter was an assumption made as she was in the Ottawa river.

Just my thoughts, I'm not disputing that the problem needs to be resolved but most rings you see on anyones boat is caused by organic matters and run offs from farms.

In my opinion, the overflows are a far smaller problem than the amount of chemicals that are flowing through that river.
Sniper
Participant
Participant

Post by Sniper »

I would never even think of putting my boat in the water in the ottawa river east of the city. Just drove to petrie island once and smell was awful. Why do people even want to fish there let alone eat the fish. Take the half hour drive and put in west of the city.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Sniper wrote:I would never even think of putting my boat in the water in the ottawa river east of the city. Just drove to petrie island once and smell was awful. Why do people even want to fish there let alone eat the fish. Take the half hour drive and put in west of the city.
:lol: I am loving this....

All the more fish more me and my buds..

:lol:
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Ya don't think there's any "discharges" upriver????? :shock: :shock:

What about Pembroke, Arnprior, and let's not leave out Chalk River!! :evil: :evil: :shock: :shock:

Like I said b4, total APATHY!!!! :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Cyber wrote:Ya don't think there's any "discharges" upriver????? :shock: :shock:

What about Pembroke, Arnprior, and let's not leave out Chalk River!! :evil: :evil: :shock: :shock:

Like I said b4, total APATHY!!!! :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Lets not get too carried away here, since Chalk has began fixing most problems attaining to leaks into the river, put all of those discharges together and you still don't have half of the crap that's getting discharged into the Ottawa here in Ottawa.

(I still won't pass up the chance to dance jigs for bass anywhere on the river or dangle a line for craps and walleye on ice 8) )
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

and we are not talking all the other rivers that going into the O.r and tons off stuff are dump in those.

no woder in some test in the stlawrence it full off medication and all kind off stuff in the water and we catch fish wit all kind off malformation or bump on them..and the fish is still good to eat.
http://www.fftimes.com/node/219139
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article655165.ece

yes it is but at a certain level....bigger the fish worst it will be.

but even if we buy fish at the market....we dont no where its frome could be worst then or fish.

i di eat ottawa river fish..i am not to bad.........i think.

it was a lot worst in the past...30 years agao everything was goin into the river i rember wen the snow truck were droping there load in the river..and that stuff in that snow frome the street.

or wen we were fishing nere hull marina..you mad a hole on ice..and fecal mater would come out off the hole..... :shock: :?

or wen it ws full off wood..

the prob is not realy the fecal mater its the rest..mediacation..pesticide..all chenical stuff....this what is realy bad for the wildlife and us.

joco
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

To think, we live in a so-called "developed" first world nation. However, whenever a little peice of metal gets into the Sewage system, causing a blockage. The best system we can dream up of, is to divert tonnes of raw sewage into the river for hours at a time...

Yup.. we look at countries like India at laugh, they crap where they live!!..

well jeez!! hmm, we are not to far off now are we!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

joco wrote:
or wen we were fishing nere hull marina..you mad a hole on ice..and fecal mater would come out off the hole..... :shock: :?

or wen it ws full off wood..

the prob is not realy the fecal mater its the rest..mediacation..pesticide..all chenical stuff....this what is realy bad for the wildlife and us.

joco
And the Hull Marina is upstream from where the spills occurs so that would be coming from somewhere else. I posted yesterday that on the Radio-Energie news yesterday morning they said that Gatineau has had at least 640 spills this year. But they have no way of saying the #'s of litres spilled.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

coming from somewhere else.

iwas going out just bet the bridage and the marina..there was a big pipe going out there going strait o the river...but that was then its not there anymore...

there so mutch place where they spill in the river...and not just the ottawa river.

in the nation the city off caselamn do it to...in spring in some area you couls see toilet papper caught in the tress on shore......all along.. :? :x .

man we are in 2009 and they stioll do this...they spend 100000$$$ in soke none sens stuff but cant keep there shi%$/%/ out off are river.

joco
fishhit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishhit »

The sad fact of the matter is that no matter how much crap is in the water the flesh of the fish is still safe to eat! Joco is right about the chemicals and meds going into the water being a bigger problem. All the urine of people on meds likley has a greater effect on river wildlife than hundreds of tons of crap. Studies I've read about the effect of estrogen(the primary ingredient in birth control pills) on wildlife indicate that the sexual developement of certain invertabrates is being affected by womans urine containing estrogen being discharged in treated wastewater. Every household cleaner and industrial product put down your drain or toilet makes its way into the river whether it's been treated or not! We all have a personal responsibility to be aware of what goes down our drains. The fecal matter is certainly going to cause algea blooms and increased weedgrowth but at least it won't cause birth defects and cancer!