Mississagi Park trip

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Mississagi Park trip

Post by S.M.05 »

Well with bass opener weekend here you think Id be posting about bass, but with 9 days of holidays ahead of me fishn bass only would not do. I had decided last week I would head down to the Mississagi Park area for a little rest, relaxation and fishn. I would be stopping at several streams with the fly rod for specs and bows. Then setup camp at a lake that had both specs and lakers and a portage off it to other remote lakes with both specs and lakers. After three days there I would move camp to a chain of lakes known for their big northerns and complete my trip there.

I left Sunday night and camped out close to Sudbury for the night and then completed the last leg of the trip to the Little White River by Monday morning. Arriving at the river I realized that the fly rod was forgotten at home, good thing I had brought the ultra light with me. I did not catch any trout here but did manage a couple of opener weekend smallies.
Decided it was time for some lunch and found out the bread I had bought was moldy, no fly rod and moldy bread what next. After a lunch of hot dog bun sandwiches I continued down the logging road to the lake passing all kinds of streams filled with specs.
The forecast was predicting rain for the first day or so of the trip so I decided to get on the lake and set up camp before it started to rain and fish the streams on the way out.
I picked a spot high and dry and set up camp on an island overlooking one of the larger sections of the lake.
My front door for the next three days.
That night I caught and released my first laker casting in the narrows between the island and shore.
The next morning I started my daily routine of bacon and eggs for breakfast with a large cup of coffee while soaking in the view.
After breakfast I retreated to the tent for nap as the rain that was to end tomorrow :roll:
but would decide to stay with me the rest of the trip, had started.
(Soaked feet for 5 strait days) :evil:
That evening I got out for hour or so before it started raining again but managed one for the pan.
A seagull as well as three loons came by to watch me as I cleaned the fish and it was odd to watch the seagull chase the eagle off that came by for his share.
Wednesday morning I caught and released a few more small lakers and then decided the weather was holding off and I would portage into the lake above to try for a trophy laker since it was my last day on this lake.
Bad decision, less then an hour of trolling and the rain moved back in with the sound of thunder in the distance forcing me to head back to camp soaked and I would have to make the decision not to move camp as it poured rain through the night.
Thursday morning woke up to rain, had some coffee and breakfast and waited out the rain. The weather cleared later that day and I decided to stay and fish lakers instead of moving camp to the pike lake since the weather still looked unstable.
Got out for a few hours and fished lakers for a while with no luck and then switched over to the ultra light rod for specs and moved in closer to shore, trolling 15’-20’ deep with a 1/3oz blue and silver Little Cleo.
I notice a shoal on the fish finder and started troll out along it, but not before the hook snagged …………..a hog.
The rod bends over and I’m sure its bottom but then it kicks and I’m saying my thank you’s to the fish gods :lol: . I loosen the drag cause the ultra light maxed and the fish is kicking away like crazy. I’m wondering if I’ve caught my new P.B. spec but it’s hanging on bottom and I can’t see it. Wzzzzzzzzzz it screams off with the line. Slowly I get it close to the boat and it’s a big laker :shock: , not what I was expecting but hey who am I to complain. This will be my biggest fish on the ultra light yet if I can land it. Wzzzzzzz the drag screams again as it does like four more runs kickn and rolln away. Finally I get it up to the boat and scoop it with the net before it runs off again. I know this old fish is tired so I get it back in the water as soon as possible and after a minute of so it kicks and is off.
29” laker on the ultra light, worth the 4 days of rain :wink:
Speaking of rain it starts to drizzle again and while I head into camp I’m greeted by this.
Friday I wake up to stormy looking skies and quickly pack up and head off the lake knowing that the weather is still foul and that going to the pike lake would be a bad choice. I accept the end of my trip and although has been a wet one and I didn’t get in all the fishn I wanted too. That it was a blast and the fish will be even fatter next trip.
The end. 8)

Hellsss no. It’s only Friday and with a short sleep along the way I’ll be home Saturday morn. with lots o time to fish.

8AM I arrive home, have a hot shower and get the phone call from my buddy gramps around noon and we were off for bows. After a little camp dinner the wind calms and we hit the bows full force.
After a small one, Gramps gets into this beaut.
Then we catch several more ending the evening with me wrestling this one which would run side ways then launch strait out of the water 4-5 times before my buddy could net him.
As we sit around the fire with the high test swapping fish stories gramps tells me how he always likes going off fishn with me cause I’m crazy :twisted: and how my adventures led to some awesome fishn.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

stunning pics and a great report.......man, that laker musta been a hoot on the UL.......nice work lad!!! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Fantastic read and photos Mike...Great report and thanks for sharing :D
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

Great report....
The first pic of your tent....is that snow on the ground? :shock: :shock:

Great looking laker, and a sweet bow!
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Thanks bowzog those big pike/musky lures will still get put to use this summer.

Sportspal that white looking stuff I believe is called lichen. Heres a close up I took.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Looks like a trip to paradise! Very nice.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Great report Mike....looks like you had a nice trip despite the $hitty weather we're getting this summer!!....ya got me going now that I saw that rainbow!!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Pretty damn good report..............especially for not even seeing a face in any of the pics.... damn photo CHOP......lol..

Good to see it wasn't a total gong show Mike. Moldy bread and a forgotten fly rod is pretty minor (granted you had other rods)....
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Yep turned out to be a good one.
Yep there was a little Sudbury gong show. Rubber came off the wiper had to sit around Sudbury till the C.T. opened. Then the crapy tire factory fit wiper that didnt seem to fit that tightly decided try and fly off in the pourin rain so I had to get out and fix it with some E-tape(first soaker of the week) :x . Motor died in the middle of the lake. :oops:
Forgot to mention my buddy going on about Bates Island and that bear that ate the campers. Then I see 4 different piles of bear scat on the road and one pile of wolf douce full of chunks of bone :shock: , all on the last km into the lake. Good thing misses Wisers came along to keep me company at night.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

that is one nice laker!!!! clear water!!!! and beautiful scenery!!!!

great report!!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Fantastic report SM05.....great read!

RJ
Dustin
Participant
Participant

gorgeous

Post by Dustin »

Just like being there (almost). Thanks for posting! Wish I had 9 days vacation and the will to drive 12 hours to get there haha.
"That's why they call it fishin' and not catchin'"
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

great report... that rainbow shot is my new desktop background...

lol @ wolf douce!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Thanks for the great report and pictures.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Some great looking fish Mike.