Fishing Interrupted??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fishing Interrupted??

Post by wolfe »

spent some time doing this wed. morning...

unfortunately, on the gallop back to the barn, someone was still feeling his proverbial oats and gave a buck or two worthy of a rodeo bull. so, over Q's head i go like a human cannonball. i hit the ground very hard, 1st w/ my left hand & then w/ my hard irish-italian head. luckily, i had my helmet on, but it still hurt. immediately back into the saddle for 10 more minutes out of sheer obstinance, but it didn't take long to realize my hand was wickedly screwed up.

i have an ortho / hand surgeon's app't monday, but preliminary tests seem to indicate i've got a scapho-lunate disruption (fancy phrase for detached ligaments) in my left hand and possibly a wrist fracture. head & neck aren't feeling great either, possibly a mild concussion, but the hand's the big issue -- it's splinted, hurting, swollen like a club and useless.

i have a feeling my summer fishing is over b4 it even started & i'm sick over it. :x

anyone have any hand or wrist injuries like this and how long does it take to recover? not sure, but I think i may need surgery to reattach the tendons with pins. i hope not... anyway, your prayers are appreciated.

typing with a few fingers is frustrating, so i'll sign off. i'll know more monday.

w.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

you would have to kill me to not fish this summer hope you recover soon and that you stay away from horses bass are much more forgiving lol
good luck !!
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

sorry to hear of ur accident... i figure the pain and swelling will go down within a week or 2, but moveability might be limited till you get surgery, just keep the wolfe pack catchin them for you... best wishes in a great fishing season and a speedy recovery
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Sorry to hear that

Post by mikemicropterus »

Wolfe so sorry to hear of your untimely fall.

Beautiful horse though.

Two summers ago I was playing Mr MOM for my step-daughters. At the time we had newfie ponies from my sister-in-law, they were breeding them and had a couple extras they didn't want to get you know what.
My step-daughters and I were out and they decided to go bare back. Well Hannah's horse starts to go and Daphne's follows close behind but Daphne was caught off guard and fell of her pony, whose name is Pony.
Well she broke her collar bone. I had seen a few broken collar bones when I was road racing motrocycles so I recognised the bump in her shoulder and the inability to raise her arm past a certain point.

She saoked up the pain didn't even cry and then tried to get back on the horse which was not possible. I thought her father would shoot me!!

The only time she did cry was at the hospital when they did her x-rays and put her arm in a sling.

We know have 4 horses, a quarter-horse named Fred, a thorough bred quarter cross named Lilly and 2 paint fillies from my sister-in-law one named Button and the other Dee-Dee. We got Dee-Dee a day before my sister-in laws husband had a heart attack and died suddenly a day later, very tragic still trying to get over that as we were close. His name was Andy so we named the fillie after him, Dee-Dee.

The girls also jump and compete and it makes a big difference in their attitude towards things.

One thing about an animal it will never lie to you.

Hope you get well soon and can get back fishing. I know how you love to fish.

I remember when I broke my foot while riding my motorcycle they put a cast on it but that still didn't stop me from riding my motorcycle, it was the rear brake side so I just used the front brake, also when I broke the thumb of my left hand I could still operate the clutch with the cast on and so I could still ride my bike and do test rides.

Hey Wolfe Ya gotta do what you gotta do, if you got back on him I know you will find some way to go fishing, maybe this will be the year you learn to cast with the other hand. I'm fully Irish so I know where you get your stubbornness from and I won't hold the Italian part against you.

Hope you get better soon. :wink:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Nooooo....

I hope this doesn't mean the fishing trip is off with 24/7 and I :cry: :cry:

Hope you have a speedy recovery ....

And remember Wolfe ....

The only good horse is a (........) horse .... :P :P :P :P :wink: :lol:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

my lord......hope you have a speedy recovery Margie.....the fish will wait for ya.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Speedy recovery Margie!!!

Torpedoe will breathe a bit easier though, knowing that his Mom can't catch a bigger bass than his for a little while. You'll be back at it soon!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

wolfe... really sorry to hear it... but where there's a will, there's a way.
Hopefully the news isn't as bad as you think it might be and that treatment is not so invasive. All the best & speedy recovery.

cheers,
tallpaul
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Sounds like the fish on Wolfe Lake will be safe for this season... oops, forgot about the boys! I'm going to say if you're not in terrible pain for the whole summer you will find a way to get out. If Clay Dyer can fish bass professionally with his limitations, anyone can!

Get healed up soon Margie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glrU4JKV1SI
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

That's very unfortunate...I do however think the lure of the lake will have you find a way to still fish.

Happy healing... :wink:
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Hi Wolfe,
I am sorry to hear of you mishap. Things happen in life. I wish you a speedy recovery and back on the water soon! I know you will find a way.
Dave
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

All the best Wolfe, hope for a speedy and complete recovery. Anyway they can attach a rod to that splint?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Tough go Margie.....best of luck with that and the recovery....

Just be boat driver and camera operator... :wink:

RJ
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

:? :? :? :?

with a positive mind and hard work everything willl be fine.

keep hope alive and lets hope your healed for falls.

best time of the year! :D
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Oh boy Margie, thank god that's all that was hurt, good thing you fell on ur head! lol I'm sure it hurts when you laugh so I'll be kind and not mention any other parts of ur body! I have dinged up almost every part on me, did the ligaments in my hand way back when, took quite a while before I was back to normal sorry to say.

Had a few concussions in my day, good thing you were wearing ur helmet, last time I had one I was wearing one too. Got kicked pretty hard, he was a horse but had a uniform on, didn't know my name or where I was, scarry. Hope ur over the unpleasantness of it all.

Well now hopefully everyone will pitch in and baby you some, catch up on ur soaps and take it slow, feel better, Joe.