St. Lawrence River - June 7, 2009

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

St. Lawrence River - June 7, 2009

Post by DropShotr »

As I drove to the ramp, I noticed the "furball" of boats at one of two classic walleye spots wasn't there. There was only one vehicle in the parking lot. I got on the water about 5:30AM thinking things might be a bit tough.

I went to a secret spot that's next to a spot that's not a secret. Nothing.

I then decided to make a few drifts through classic local waters. Nothing. I did mark several fish on my flasher that were in 30ft suspended 2-3ft under the water. I also noted Shad Flies were emerging here and there. I decided to try the other local hotspot in hopes of better luck. As I drifted the new location I was watching two guys backtrolling bottom bouncers. I believe they were using nightcrawlers. I saw them net 2 small fish, release several pike & OOS SMB.

Misry loves company. Soon there was another and another and another boat moving into the area. I left this little "furball" of anglers to try less crowded waters.

At this point I was fairly convinced that the 'eyes had left their spring locations. Where did they go? I soon set up on a piece of classic summer shoreline and started to troll a rapala along the drop-off in 18-25ft. of water. Bang!! fish on. This is better....crap! the fish just jumped. A OOS SMB. I released the fish in the water. I just set line and started to troll, I'm having a sip of coffee and BA BA BA BANG! Holy smokes... this fish almost picked up a nice Kistler/Ambassadeur combo. This can't be a walleye. It's staying down and zooming back and forth. I'm thinking pike. I get the fish closer and I see big brown.....this is the biggest SMB I've ever seen on the river, ever! This fish was unhooked in the water. I decide to leave this spot and work the channel edges. Over the next several minutes I managed to put 3 nice perch in the livewell. They became the guests of honor at supper.
I went back to some areas and tried again. Nothing. I had a few conversations with some of anglers. Concensus was the fish had "moved" Sadly no one had any idea as to where they moved to.

Sorry there are not any pics.......I got lazy.

I have a question for the people that fish the St Lawrence. Have you noticed a sharp drop in Shad Flies the last several years.....if yes do you think it's the gobies. Just a thought.

OK......I'm really ready for bass season. Bring on the Rideau RiverImage

DropShot'r
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

great read!!!!

what size do you gestimate the OOS smallmouth to be?? 6+ pounds???

anyways too bad the walleye didn't agree with you, but hey, a couple perch doesn't hurt!!!

again great read!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

katch moore wrote: what size do you gestimate the OOS smallmouth to be?? 6+ pounds???
Honestly no. I believe she would have been a solid nickel. Fat from eggs and a healthy appitite. I had a digital scale with me, but never considered weighing the fish..................OK, that last part is a lie.

DropShot'r
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

You'll get them eyeballs next time!

The larry is a place I need to start fishing more.... likely it would be further east of you though in Long Sault.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

DropShot'r,, I was down there on the 5th. and my result was the about the same.
Maybe a few more boats , no perch and a ...load of shad flies.
I had left my next standing up,, probably had 10lbs of flies on it to shake off when i put the net away.
The water is still pretty cold @ 53'F don't know what temp the flies need.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

DropShot'r wrote:
katch moore wrote: what size do you gestimate the OOS smallmouth to be?? 6+ pounds???
Honestly no. I believe she would have been a solid nickel. Fat from eggs and a healthy appitite. I had a digital scale with me, but never considered weighing the fish..................OK, that last part is a lie.

DropShot'r
:lol: :lol: :lol:

im guilty of a couple of those myself! :shock:

nice read and try HARder next time! J/K! :D :lol:

bring on bass seasson you say!

thats wise my friend verry wise! :D
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Nice report.
My son & I went for a short stint on the Larry Saturday afternoon for pike. Bite was off, wind was on. 3 hours of attempting - left at 8pm.

Didn't get our pike, but on the way home we got a deer... with the van
:( . $5K damage... youch. I hate it when that happens... first time for me hitting a deer...
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! :shock:

sorry to hear this sad news.

hope everything turn out ok OUT4 THE TROUT!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

24/7 - It's all good - in a rental now...

Hey Drop-shotr - I realize now that your post was for Sunday - sorry bout that - I was thinking it was also Saturday. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Did you get out in the wind Saturday? It was blowing hard up near Gan. With the wind and the current - I found it hard to get the right speed - I blamed the wind and speed for the lack of bite... but may be wrong...
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Out4trout wrote: Did you get out in the wind Saturday? It was blowing hard up near Gan. With the wind and the current - I found it hard to get the right speed - I blamed the wind and speed for the lack of bite... but may be wrong...
On Sat. we had a birthday party at our house for our grandson. about 12 7yr. olds. That was a pretty good blow on Sat. I'd like to get a trolling bag for my boat to slow down my drifts, it would also slow me down for lakers too.

So sorry to hear about your vehicle. Glad no one was hurt.

For me there is for the most part bass season and not bass season. I honestly don't invest much time or effort into walleye fishing around here.

DropShot'r