Ground Bait for Carp

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Streamtripper
Participant
Participant

Ground Bait for Carp

Post by Streamtripper »

Does anyone have a killer recipe for carp baiting. We're going to Chemong lake in a couple of weeks and staying at Birchbend Resort. They cater to the British carp fishermen and I want to try my hand at some UK style carp fishing c/w baiting a swim and fishing with hair rigs. We will be loading up the hair rig with corn or boilies , I'm interested in the prebaiting formula only.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

When I fished for carp in the UK, Strawberry was very popular, go to the cake baking section and look for flavourings, Strawberry, Vanilla, aniseed etc. Bait different areas and see what works. You can also try soaking the corn in flavourings too before baiting your stringer. I used to dry out old bread in the oven then put it in the blender for making breadcrumb. Add some corn and flavour to that, a little water and your good to go.

Good luck.
Lonnie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lonnie »

There are as many recipes as there are fishermen. Just baiting with boilled maize will get fish in the area, and will hold them until they eat it all. Match anglers opt for groundbait with finer particles, which take the fish much longer to root out, and don't fill the fish up. These also disperse fine particles and scent in the water, moreso than straight maize. One of my favorite groundbaits is a mixture of a 1/2 bag of Top Mix (a pre-packaged groundbait formulation), to which I'll add some oatmeal, wheat and canned corn - sinking trout pellets is another good addition as long as you don't have too many catfish in the area. There's not a carp alive that won't snuffle up a mixutre like this, but as I mention there are an infinite number of ways to refine it. Many anglers will add scents/flavors as well - but in the above recipe the pre-packaged groundbaits already have flavours included. If you just use an unflavored oatmeal base then i suggest adding flavour - pineapple and vanilla are a few of my favorites.

Good Luck and pls let us know how you do.
Cheers,
LK