Place to fish in North Bay?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Place to fish in North Bay?

Post by Mitch24 »

Yep, its one of these posts. I don't like to give away fishing spots either therefore this post is pretty hypocritical, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway (may as well try).

I'm moving up to North Bay this fall and I am wondering if there were any streams, rivers, creeks, lakes or ponds that are particularly productive. Or for that matter general areas I could be pointed towards that may have some water with trout. My main goal is to find trout but I'm planning on getting into some walleye and warm species as well. Of course there is lake Nipissing but I was looking for spots I could wade, or take a float tube into.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, I'll also mention that I'm a fly fisher who only practices C&R (if that helps). If there are any sites or forums for that region as well let me know.

Thanks,

Mitch
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I hear Trout Lake has a very healthy smallmouth population. Ontario out of Doors ran an article on it last year I think. Obviously there's lake Nipissing too. Also, there are some creeks in that area that hold specks like the Aux Sables river in Champlain Park between NB and Mattawa. There's also the Ottawa river near Temiskaming, about 40 minutes east of North Bay, lake Temagami 45 minutes north, Lake Temiskaming an hour 15 north and all the back lakes around Marten River. I hope this helps.
Tight lines,
Yannick
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Mitch
You have a PM...

O4T
Fish'n Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fish'n Buddy »

Oh buddy, theres LOTS of good fishing spots up there for sure!
Bobby Shimano
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bobby Shimano »

Lake Nobosing just south of NB see article in last month's ontario out of doors.

Bob
gkilla
Participant
Participant

Post by gkilla »

I am glad that this topic came up. I was about to ask the exact same question. My girlfriend is racing in North Bay and I wanted to sneak out for a little fishing trip so I too would be shore fishing. I looked on google maps and Trout Lake sounded great! Is there even trout in that lake...lol.
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

PM coming your way
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

Thanks a lot for the tips, should be a good start!

Mitch
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Place to fish in North Bay?

Post by muskymatt »

Mitch24 wrote:Yep, its one of these posts. I don't like to give away fishing spots either therefore this post is pretty hypocritical, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway (may as well try).

I'm moving up to North Bay this fall and I am wondering if there were any streams, rivers, creeks, lakes or ponds that are particularly productive. Or for that matter general areas I could be pointed towards that may have some water with trout. My main goal is to find trout but I'm planning on getting into some walleye and warm species as well. Of course there is lake Nipissing but I was looking for spots I could wade, or take a float tube into.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, I'll also mention that I'm a fly fisher who only practices C&R (if that helps). If there are any sites or forums for that region as well let me know.

Thanks,

Mitch
I can help you here, I lived in the Bay for about 15 yrs as a kid growing up.
There are numerous brooks and streams along the drive from N.Bay to Mattawa(closer to N.Bay) that have trout. Some are hard to get to and at certain times of the year off limit to fishing.

The government docks on Nippissing have an excellent spring perch run, always good for a feast.

I have also seen BIG fish caught right off the dock. Trout lake , towards the north end (camp island) has some good fisihing but beware of the sanctuary. Lakers and big pike,muskie in the lake....try the area around the cove (beach area).

Nippissing around Calander bay is protected from the main lake and offers 'eyes and pike....muskie tend to frequent the island chain in that area.

Up the hill are 4 mile lake and 8 mile lake....both good.

Mattawa is 45 min away and has great bassing and walleye.

Nosbonsing is also a fav. for anglers but I have never been there,hope this helps

Matt
SpecTech
Participant
Participant

Re: Place to fish in North Bay?

Post by SpecTech »

Mitch24 wrote:Yep, its one of these posts. I don't like to give away fishing spots either therefore this post is pretty hypocritical, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway (may as well try).

Thanks,

Mitch
Sent PM>
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I am going to be in North Bay for a business trip in Early July. can anyone point me in the right direction of a good camp to stay at that I can fish in the evenings and early mornings? Prefer in town or on the north east edge.

PM me please and thanks
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Hey MLR,
I know of a spot right in North Bay that should fit your needs. It's called Torbay cottages and they are right off of Lakeshore drive. I personally haven't stayed there but my girlfriend has and she and her friends were quite pleased with the place. I checked the place out with my buddy up there before they went and he highly recommended it. They said the cottages were nice and clean, good price and very friendly owners. It might be worth checking the place out. Oh yeah sorry about hi-jacking your post Mitch :oops: