road trip fishing report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

road trip fishing report

Post by plncrzy »

BEFORE ANY MODS PM ME AND COMMENT OR DELETE PART OF THIS POST>>>> PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE PICS ARE FROM ZONE 5!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:

Every year around this time I travel to NW Ontario and drive a loop from Thunder Bay to Dryden to Kenora, to Fort Frances and back to Thunder Bay again.

I travel up there to provide severe weather training to various organizations.

In previous years, I have brought with me a small collapsible fishing rod and a few lures. I would stop at a few roadside rest stops near a lake and make a few casts.

A couple years ago, I had made a stop at this location just out from Kenora and caught a few SMB. So I marked it on my gps and saved the waypoint. This year, I was eager to make my rest stop at this location and had my rod/reel ready in the back seat.

I arrived the waypoint this morning at about 10am. Had a quick pee in the bushes and pegan to cast my Mepps spinner with fake minnow. Right away, I catch a SMB…then another and another… I recalled that my son (Mad_on_fishing) had put a camera in my suitcase the day before…. I decided that if I caught any more I would take a pic or two.

First pics were of the location where I stopped to fish,

Her is the car rental.

Here is a typical SMB that I always seem to catch at this location.

I caught likely about 10 of these within a 30 minute period.

All the bass were caught on the same spinner with a simple retrieve just below the water surface. Then I decided to try something different. I thought that I would cast out as far as I could in what looked like deep water , let the spinner sink to the bottom and try a slow retrieve. Within about five turns of the reel, I get something on, its big I can tell. I continue to retreive the fish until I can see it, Its HUGE, immediately I think a big PIKE, NO … it’s a walleye!!!!!.... NO net, I try to get his brute onto shore, just as I drag this puppy up, the line breaks and the walleye begins to thrash around in the 10” water, Before the walleye can get its bearings, I jump in the water with only my running shoes and grab this guy…

Put him on shore, and take a pic before he was let go. Just then I hear my blackberry going off and I realize that its time for me to go, feet totally soaked but with a smile on my face….. until next year when I drive past this spot again!
Last edited by plncrzy on Wed May 20, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

nice ones!!....the good ol' Mepps Minnow......that was my "go to" lure back in the day! :lol: .....looks like it's still slayin' em! :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

AWESOME road trip plncrzy!!! Those are often the best memories; alone on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere...

I love those times too!

Jealous,

Craig
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Great report and pics! I am also a weather nut, have been since I was a kid living in Kansas because of the the storms we would ge there. This year I want to get some good weather shots so I hope we have so good storms this year.
Wish I could get a job to do with weather.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

that looks like a real awesome lake.

great report. and a fun story!
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

Nice report. Can't hardly wait till end of June.

That part about havin a pee added drama........... :lol:

just joshin :P
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Nice work crzy...I was up that area as well Zone 8...bass open all year!!!!. Caught a few SM and boy is it weird catching them at this time of the year and not having to scramble to get them back in the water. We did the ole stop at some lakes but with little success.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

I just did a quick measurement of the rod compared to the walleye. About 28" ... so what 4 to 5 pounds?
bruce
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bruce »

beauty fish! bass open all year ,priceless!I woulda kept that wally tho!
GR8-Scott
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GR8-Scott »

Looks like it was a great road-trip plncrzy....Nice pics, nice report...
Looks like a nice lake.

Cheers
Scott
Scott
- A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.....
- Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day will be a catching day.......