Rainwear

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Rainwear

Post by bm_attar »

Well, at 6'6" I don't think I am getting any taller (or bigger hopefully). I am looking to buy some good rain jacket/pants that would work as expected and last me few years.

I have tried fishing under the rain last year and this year and I have to admit it was always very productive and worth the trouble for me.

Please let me know what you recommend. I am not looking into anything winter-proof as wife will never let me go ice fishing. But something that will keep me dry under the rain and does not weigh 2 tons.

That's what I have so far:
http://www2.marks.com/productdetails.as ... enDocument
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

I bought the Frogg Toggs Pro Angler Suit last year from Caballas and have been quite impressed with it. The suit (jacket and bibs) were quite inexpensive and very comfortable to wear all day. They breath well and keep the rain out. The downside is that they are so light weight, that they might tear easily if you catch the fabric on something in the boat. That hasn't happened yet but if it does, I'm certain a strip of duct-tape will keep me in action.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Thanks Mike. I looked at the reviews and it is mostly positive, but those rain suits seem very prone to rip easily. I think I need something a little more tough.
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

I got my suit from two places.

The jacket part is from Eddy Bauer. I figure that I would get something more stylish for just plain old rainy days not on the water. It has lots of zippered pockets for carrying stuff.

My rain pants are from Mark's Work Wearhouse but not the Viking series.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Thanks Brian. If that what you have from Mark's, do you like it?

http://www2.marks.com/productdetails.as ... enDocument
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rain Wear

Post by Joey Rat »

Kind of a tough question, another one of those buy the best you can afford deals.

In the summer I'd rather wear quick dry clothing and take my chances getting wet. I do have a light weight Rock Water set but rarely wear the pants. It's also not great for extended downpours but then that's where the stand up canvas on the boat comes in handy.

When its cooler I have a Cabelas Dry Plus Guidewear set with a bib and parka. I got it last year when the dollar was up and I also got it on sale.

($119/ piece instead or $179) that made the shipping and duty easier to swallow. I'd venture out in a hurricane in this stuff.

Watch for sales if you want to go that route.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I have a Sierra Designs jacket and pants and they are very nice. 100% waterproof, lightweight, breathe very well, and they fit me well (which is diffucult at a lanky 6'2"... I can't imagine being 6'6" tall and trying to find stuff that fits!).

Your best bet is to try some niche places (in person (MEC?) and online (Cabelas)) that can take your measurements and get you the appropriate fit.

And yes, buy the best you can afford -- the first time you are not sopping wet, you'll be thankful. :)
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I have a Sierra Designs jacket and pants and they are very nice. 100% waterproof, lightweight, breathe very well, and they fit me well (which is diffucult at a lanky 6'2"... I can't imagine being 6'6" tall and trying to find stuff that fits!).

Your best bet is to try some niche places (in person (MEC?) and online (Cabelas)) that can take your measurements and get you the appropriate fit.

And yes, buy the best you can afford -- the first time you are not sopping wet, you'll be thankful. :)
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

I also have the Cabelas guidewear suit and love it. I wore wetskins, available at Lebaron for years and they stood up very well. They did fail to expand along with my belly though and that's why I don't wear them anymore. gave them to a skinny guy and he loves them. Over ten years of wear on them now.
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

Costco had the Wetskins jacket/pants combo for $50 last week.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

WallyPro wrote:Costco had the Wetskins jacket/pants combo for $50 last week.
Not available online, but I will check store today.

Thanks a lot guys for all the info.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rain gear.

Post by Super »

Hi,
Number one thing to look for is "no opening for the fly".
I once bought one expensive pair with a button fly.
When I was sitting in the boat on a cold rainy day, guess where all the water ended up, after running down my jacket.
I just picked up a cheap ($80.00) rain suit from Walmart last spring, that has pants that go up to my chest, no fly (yippee!) and a jacket with lots of velcro and zippers.
I am 6'4 and 250 lbs and the 2XL fits fine even over a winter jacket.
Used it all last year including a week long trip and was out in it this past weekend with all the rain and it is still great.
Super
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I have the costco wetskins outfit and it has served me very well for I would say 3 - 4yrs. My only complaint is that it does not breath. So being a big guy sometimes I get just as wet on the inside from sweat.
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

I also have the Wetskins from Costco. Bought them 3 years ago and they are great for standing in the rain.

Gerry
Bobby Shimano
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bobby Shimano »

Anything that say's GORETEX is the best. Everything else is 2nd best.
I have the Bass Pro, 100mph suit and am very impressed with it. The Bibs are very high cut and the jacket has a huge collar. I love it and enjoy fishing in the rain and staying dry.
I also have a pair of Forresters golfing pants, that are made to wear over your other clothes. They are very light and comfortable. Also made from Goretex. Check out e-bay lots of goretex.
Like the others have said, spend the money and it will serve you well.

Bobby