Ottawa and Gatineau shore fishing guide

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fish4ever
Participant
Participant

Ottawa and Gatineau shore fishing guide

Post by fish4ever »

Hi all,

whether you shore fish by choice or because you don't have a boat, you may be in the same boat as me , always wondering about nearby decent shore fishing spots, that you may want to explore this summer.

This morning, someone at work mentioned Madawaska head pond area, but since he is a boater he was not sure if there was any shore-fishing spot over there.

Inspired by what Ian did for the boat rental guide, I would like to gather few decent spots in one single place :

LINK HAS BEEN REMOVED AT THE REQUEST OF SOME MEMBERS, USE GOOGLE INSTEAD :D

If you want to help out by giving out decent shore spots or help co-authoring yourself , please drop me a pm and I'll either post the info or add you as collaborator to this page. Please also remember to mention the kinds of fish you caught or one should expect to find.

Thanks a bunch in advance[/u][/b]
Last edited by fish4ever on Thu May 21, 2009 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Um,

Tried to but a few lakes and waterbodies are missing. For example...where is Mississippi lake, Dalhousie Lake etc????
fish4ever
Participant
Participant

I need to use the satellite version of the map

Post by fish4ever »

Jamsers,
thanks for always volunteering to help.
You are right , the map version is missing few lakes, I can see them however in the satellite version of it. Let me update the link to the satellite version of the map.

cheers
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

How about the Dechene Rapids, from the shore at Brittania Water Filteration Plant, the Jock River at Rideau River, Shirleys Bay boat launch,just to name a few.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

actualy if you do a search there is amap actulay a couple maps that show spots on the ottawa river..rideau river and nation river.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Thanks for the effort fish4ever. I will try to add some spots.
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

Been fishing the Clay Bank Boat Launch for two or three years now. There are some Pike and Bass in there early and late in the season. Also saw a small musky caught from shore last year.

Gerry
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

Forgot about the Kars boat Launch as well. Caught some nice size bass there over the years. Don't forget about the mill in Manotick for bass and walleye.

Gerry
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Fishing4ever. There was an article on this in Ontario Out Of Doors a year or 2 ago. Even gave you the OC and STO bus routes to get to the spots.

Google "urban fishing ottawa"

you get:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 65641.html

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 65650.html

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/fish/hot_spots07f.shtml

Tons more if you want just google it.
fish4ever
Participant
Participant

Post by fish4ever »

Thank you Jerry and James.
I'll be adding locations as we go, I however prefer to add locations only if they are tried and tested.
Google is usually the place to go if you are searching for information, but sometimes it may take hours and hours of "googling" before you get what you need, the idea here is to make it easy to find these spots.

Cheers
F4E
OttaWalleye
Participant
Participant

Post by OttaWalleye »

fish4ever...

great job on this, I just hope it does not cause spotburning.

A spot I fish regularly was very busy today, I hope your efforts do not cause damage to some of these locations. Other fishing forums have rules against identifying specific locations for this very reason.
fish4ever
Participant
Participant

raise your concern

Post by fish4ever »

Thanks OttaWalley,
I'm looking for feedback and your concern is legitimate, when I started this , I thought really that
1. For one, none of shore spots are really honey holes per se, you may get few fishes here and there, but that's it
2. In my opinion, If you are a shore fisher you are unlikely to be all over the place, and try all the spots, and even if everyone was to try every spot available then, it should even out.
3. I have received only couple of helpers, not much , a lot of folks are still reluctant and I can perfectly understand that

When I started this, I left myself a 40% error margin ( that I could be wrong ), and by all means, if there is strong feeling/consensus that this endeavour is more harmful than not, let's just stop it now , I have no problem admitting I'm wrong.

Please raise your concerns if there are any, that's what the discussion is about.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Shore fishing spots are generally shared.

Reason being they are on soooooo many websites to begin with.
To be perfectly honest I have been to a few of them and there are few if any people there.

You may luck out and get a decent fish but majority of the time it isn't going to be monsters.

Now, creating a map for trout, musky etc and using honey holes on lakes would for sure raise some eyebrows and ruffle a few feathers.

Any seasoned fisherperson can obtain a lake map and then have a good idea of where to go.

This is why I don't mind sharing shore fishing spots. I do mind sharing spots on lakes that you'd need a boat to go to.

But the majority of spots mentioned for shore fishing are common knowledge and IMHO shouldn't cause an issue.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

OttaWalleye wrote:fish4ever...

great job on this, I just hope it does not cause spotburning.

A spot I fish regularly was very busy today, I hope your efforts do not cause damage to some of these locations. Other fishing forums have rules against identifying specific locations for this very reason.
:idea: BINGO !!!

Although most shore spots are well known, they may not be well known by everyone. A couple of good ones I found, I had to myself and a couple of friends for a while. Then a Toyota with about 15 people in it saw us fishing.

Needless to say, she's a burnout now; littered with empty worm containers, paper towel, drink cans, and rolls of tangled 30 lb. test fishing line..............nice !! :roll: With a garbage can within 50 ft.

Sorry, but I don't share the enthusiasm for this endeavour.