not to good at fishing need help

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mattdrp
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

not to good at fishing need help

Post by mattdrp »

I am not to good at fishing so i wold like if some of you guys could hepl me out. i wood like to know what fish are in the Mississippi ( around bait casters) or in the Rideau Canal (smiths falls)

Matthew :D
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

In season right now:

Perch

Sunfish...Pumpkinseed/Blugill

Catfish

Pike

Walleye

Crappie

Those are the flavours right now.....stop in at Baitcasters and refine your search :wink:

Good luck.
mattdrp
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdrp »

what is the best bait to yous for pike
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Shiner minnows are hard to beat if using natural baits. For artificials, think of mimicing a minnow. A silver or white spoon is classic pike fare. The Johnson weedless in silver is classic.

Another option is a spinner-bait. One of my goto pike lures is a white/ chartreuse Booyah with a large and small blade, but I only had good success with it in warmer water - June-Oct.

Last year I hooked into a few pike while smallmouth fishing with large white tubes off the bottom, on weighted hooks (not jigs). First one seemed incidental, but caught about 5 more same method... surprised me but makes sense - it is mimicing a baitfish.

Have fun, hope you land a few dandy's
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Some good pike baits are

5 of diamonds

A weedless spoon tipped with a gulp alive 3" minnow

Red devil works as well, and if you have some white swimbaits you'll probably get some interest in them as well.

White spinnerbaits also work
Carmine
Participant
Participant

Post by Carmine »

if you are starting out all i can say is LIVE BIAT
nothing beats it but if you are looking for fish then use that. if your more into it then try the x-rap or a spinnerbait. i find the spinner bait in the rideau works for me oh and a white brub too
mattdrp
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdrp »

thanks guys. in the bay where baitcasters is are their much crappie in Thar i know i have got a few small ones any luck out their :D :?: