Big Carp

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Big Carp

Post by Jigs »

:shock: An I mean BIG:

Killing an hour near the homestead, casting for Pike, and caught a huge carp by the tail.

Thought it mighta been a musky as it just swam away, quickly, couldn't turn it.

Turned up the drag and just held on. Finally, it got tired and I was able to pull it in a bit. Then, away it went again. Kinda thought it might be a carp at that point.

Short story; got it into shore, and pulled its' tail up where I could grab it. There's a culvert nearby which sticks out 4 ft. into the water (I measured it later). Its' tail was on the bank, and its' nose was a few inches PAST the end of the culvert. Freakin huge !! Can't even estimate the diameter.

Popped out the jig and let it go.

Big goldfish.

I didn't realize they got that big in the Rideau system. Too bad; as they probably ruin a lot of weed cover later in the year while spawning.

:evil: No pics. Dang!!

Anyone volunteer to catch a hundred or so and putem back in the St. Lawrence where they belong, PM me, and I'll give you directions to "the spot."

..........Gotta love Power Pro
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

:shock: :shock:
must of been a great fight to bad it was by the tail and to bat theres no pix but sounds like a great experiance
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

:shock: YIKES !!

MANY PM'S

LOOKS LIKE I STARTED SOMETHING !!!

Definitely wasn't the intention. Remember, caught ONE Carp, ACCIDENTALLY, by the TAIL. Saw more activity, but can't really say if it's a HOT SPOT !!

Keeping that in mind, here's the directions for the Carp hunters:

Take #43 East towards Merrickville from Smiths Falls. About 4 miles out;

Turn right to get to Kilmarnock..........signage.

Stay on the Kilmarnock road. Over the lock bridge and up a hill.

You will pass an apple orchard on your left, then about 1/4 mile, you will come to a sharp turn to the left. There's a place to park just prior to the turn; ( just off the road behind the guard posts and parallel to the road).

Walk up the road about 25 yards, and there's a culvert. Stand on the river side and cast out.

NO GUARANTEES.

GOOD LUCK.
JasonT
Participant
Participant

Post by JasonT »

Upper Canada Village has massive carp all around the side of the river and the little bridge they have

would probably be safer to user deep sea fishing gear for the size they are...hehe
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

:) Hand grenades would probably suffice.

:wink: