Catching fish before thier season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Carmine
Participant
Participant

Catching fish before thier season

Post by Carmine »

Hey everyone just wanted to hear your thoughts on catching fish before the season opens but releasing them so strictly catch and release but before the season is open. thoughts???
jwilly
Participant
Participant

Post by jwilly »

If youre targeting them, shame on you. If you catch them accidently, make sure you send em back.

Cheers :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

It is illegal to target fish during their closed season even if you fully intend to release everything anyways.

Seasons are in place to protect fish during their spawning period thus ensuring a better chance at a successful spawn.

I urge everyone to pick up a set of regs and read them.

RJ
Carmine
Participant
Participant

Post by Carmine »

we need more CO's
Last edited by Carmine on Wed May 13, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattdbz29
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdbz29 »

dont even ask... the other day i got reemed for posting pics of out of season fish which i did not even post. Oh an did i mention they also reemed me an my buddy for catching smallmouth while fishing for splake...lol what a joke!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Yep a week early will be fine.... :shock: Have at it! :lol:..Good Luck wit dat!
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

Carmine wrote:personally i dont find it to bad i mean 1 week before opener they are done spawning but like a month before im a definate NO NO

if you are either targeting fish, that the season is closed, a week before, a month before or even a day before the season opens, you are poaching.

even if you put them back.
jwilly
Participant
Participant

Post by jwilly »

I guess it depends on who you are. I'm not gonna get all philosophical about it, but its kinda like littering when no ones watching. Its still littering. Rules are there for a reason, and like RJ said, these ones specifically so the fish can go through the spawning process without the stress. If you dont like the rules, dont break them, get them changed. :)
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

I'll just stay home this year.
mattdbz29
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdbz29 »

so are you telling me i should troll somewhere else if i catch bass in a splake lake??? how does that make sense?
Capt'n Dan
Participant
Participant

Post by Capt'n Dan »

Wait for the season to open and catch more fish later, it's that simple! The way I see it, you either give a s*** or you don't... It's nice to see that some still do.

Capt'n Dan
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

slop wrote:I'll just stay home this year.
I'm not using hooks this year.
jwilly
Participant
Participant

Post by jwilly »

mattdbz29 wrote:so are you telling me i should troll somewhere else if i catch bass in a splake lake??? how does that make sense?
No, you don't seem to get it. If you "TARGET" a fish out of season, you're breaking the law. If you happen to catch one while "TARGETING" another species, you're not. Anglers need to show some responsibility, at least I think we do. The regs are there for a reason. Just respect that and your kids, grandkids, and maybe even their kids will continue to enjoy the sport.

Only best regards :D
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Keep in mind that you don't have to "target" OOS fish to be accused of OOS fishing.

i.e. If you are say targeting Pike in the shallows with spinnerbaits, but you are frequently catching bass, you are expected to change locations in an attempt to avoid catching OOS bass accidentally. If you're consistently catching OOS fish, even though you're not targeting them, there is a good chance that a CO would charge you with OOS fishing.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Even though I feel Ontario's fishing regulations are a bit draconian in some regards, targeting OOS fish is illegal.

The laws are quite clear on OOS. Please read item 5, Angling during closed times. http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/En ... 64557.html

DropShot'r