Best Fishing Stories

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Best Fishing Stories

Post by Hookup »

Well in the spirit of posting nice things... I figured maybe we could have a few fishing stories... I'll go first...

My buddy and I always want to get out fishing for bass as early as possible, but we both frown on OOS fishering, so we try other things... anyhow.. one year we search the MNR zones and realize that there is a magical, wonderful zone north of North Bay has bass open all year (except Dec 24 cause I guess the bass are involved in some kind of elf/toy distribution ring).

Anyhow, we know nothing, but look at the maps and see a town called Kirkland Lake. Make plans to leave in/around end of May and off we go. 8 hours in the truck, 19.5 Procraft with 200hp engine in tow. and we are off!

The plan was to camp but after the long drive, we decide to pull into the hotel and see about a room for the evening. It's about midnight at this point, and we check in. We are still taking crap about how good its going to be to catch some bass so early in the season... As we are finishing up with keys and what-not, we mention to the clerk we are in town for some fishing action... We simply ask, "So where is this Kirkland Lake anyhow?" figuring it should be first place to start and we'll see how it goes from there... again, read, no brains no plan..... The clerk replies... "well it used to be... " and goes on to tell us that it was drained for a mine and there is no lake...

We both looked at each other with our pale white faces of defeat and exhausted from the road we groaned, to tired to cry or scream, we simply pulled out the crown-royal and called it a night... classic stuff for us... all the plans and no one checked to see if there was even water to fish!!! At that time it felt like a light went on... now we know why bass is open all year... no lakes!

As many of you know, there are lakes up there, just not the a fore mentioned kirkland lake, so this little story does have a happy ending... and many little tangent-stories along with it.. but in short, we were able to locate fish-able waters... and have a good time catching some pike, walleye and yes, even a smallie or three...

Some highlights:
1) Fishing in a 5 acre pond, with bobbers and leaches from the boat talking like huck-fin
2) Screaming along at 60mph under a very low-bridge with less than 2feet of clearance... looking over at my friend and saying, "wonder if it rides higher on plane" just as we are about to go under the bridge...
3) Defining structure as a dead-floating catfish (where we nailed at least 50 hammer-handle pike, likely the same 10 over and over again)
4) Camping nightmares and screaming fests at noisey campers
5) Finding out that some lakes have a 10hp limit and they will not agree that 200hp is < 10hp no matter wut you try...
6) good laughs that 8 or 9 years later we still talk about...
mattdbz29
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdbz29 »

lmao what a story!!! ill try an conjure up somethin
mattdbz29
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdbz29 »

lmao what a story!!! ill try an conjure up somethin
bigpikemike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bigpikemike »

yeah i miss being close to year long bass...did u know alan thick is from kirkland lake and that jeperdy guy too i think...used to be a big party town in the mining days and when they had that teacher college
Big Pike Mike always reels them in!
|D4|
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by |D4| »

ahaha nice story my friend !
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by brufan »

Five guys on a camping trip early 90's. Three of us in a bowrider we decide to "tow" the other two in their canoe to a good fishing hole. The guy in the front of the canoe is holding the tow rope and everything is fine for the first few minutes until my buddy driving the boat decides to "gun" it for a quick 5 second burst. The canoe wasn't straight and starts taking on water and flips. The guy holding the rope for some reason didn't let go! So both guys are under, they pop up and we get their canoe upright again. It was one of those awkward moments where you are trying your best to help out but can't stop laughing and feel bad about it.

the funny part was, both tackle boxes (with all their money in them) floated, and both rods had lures on them that caught a piece of the canoe when it flipped so they were saved as well. The only thing that was lost were the glasses of one of the guys. Luckily he brought along a spare pair. Unfortunately for him they were the sports kind made of plastic with the big band that goes around the head. Looked like swimming goggles. He had to wear them at work the whole next week while he was getting new ones..
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Good one! LMAO!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Alex Trebek was born in Sudbury
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Wedding day....musky fishing....lost my new rod and reel my father got me....I say it was a 65" Musky my buddy says it was the stupid idiot at the end of the rod :oops:
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

My short fishing story, I was living in the Walkley Heron rd area years back and I decided to jump on my bicycle to go fish at the Blair road Launch area. It was a good 40-45 min. ride . So I get to the river on my first cast I hooked up into something big, it took off and spooled me I was seeing the end of the line coming and I tried to stop em but no luck , he broke off right at the knot.
Just before leaving home I had taken stuff out of my tackle box to lighten it up. Guess what my extra spool and a brand new pack for Berkley XT stayed at home. So all together about 1.5 hours of biking for 1 friggin cast. And didn't even get to see what took my crankbait.

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Oh man, that sucks! I mean on every level that sucks! I'm fidgety just thinking about how many ways I'd be pee pee off if I was in your position... damn... That really sucks!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

:?: :?:

bigpikemike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bigpikemike »

mattdbz29 wrote:lmao what a story!!! ill try an conjure up somethin
anytime we go fishin matt ITS A STORY....lol
Big Pike Mike always reels them in!
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

Wallyboss wrote:My short fishing story, I was living in the Walkley Heron rd area years back and I decided to jump on my bicycle to go fish at the Blair road Launch area. It was a good 40-45 min. ride . So I get to the river on my first cast I hooked up into something big, it took off and spooled me I was seeing the end of the line coming and I tried to stop em but no luck , he broke off right at the knot.
Just before leaving home I had taken stuff out of my tackle box to lighten it up. Guess what my extra spool and a brand new pack for Berkley XT stayed at home. So all together about 1.5 hours of biking for 1 friggin cast. And didn't even get to see what took my crankbait.

i've done close to the same thing last year. i was going out for a late afternoon trout and walleye at a nearby dam.

as we got to the trout lake, we decide just to target walleye. so i got really really excited, because i know this dam holds big walleye around dusk. so we unpack the car and my rod is no where to be seen....so i must have left it at home????

so my friends fish for a bit, catch couple walleye, then we decide to head off. as we are packing up the car i see something shiny underneath the car. i lean over to have a better look and what do i find, my rod!!! so back into the car and off we were. the whole way home i asked my friend how it could get there? i didn't even touch it. turns out he had put the rod underneath the car cause it was raining, and didn't think i wanted to get it wet.

let's say it was the last time i went fishing with him!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

katch moore wrote:
Wallyboss wrote:My short fishing story, I was living in the Walkley Heron rd area years back and I decided to jump on my bicycle to go fish at the Blair road Launch area. It was a good 40-45 min. ride . So I get to the river on my first cast I hooked up into something big, it took off and spooled me I was seeing the end of the line coming and I tried to stop em but no luck , he broke off right at the knot.

i've done close to the same thing last year. i was going out for a late afternoon trout and walleye at a nearby dam.

as we got to the trout lake, we decide just to target walleye. so i got really really excited, because i know this dam holds big walleye around dusk. so we unpack the car and my rod is no where to be seen....so i must have left it at home????

so my friends fish for a bit, catch couple walleye, then we decide to head off. as we are packing up the car i see something shiny underneath the car. i lean over to have a better look and what do i find, my rod!!! so back into the car and off we were. the whole way home i asked my friend how it could get there? i didn't even touch it. turns out he had put the rod underneath the car cause it was raining, and didn't think i wanted to get it wet.

let's say it was the last time i went fishing with him!!
Some guys are like that , they aren't happy if they don't catch the most fish.