Out of season fish taking pics...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Out of season fish taking pics...

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Now here is a ? I would like feedback on,We all know that bass inhabit all types of water,to avoide them is what we all try to do,but the inevidable will happen you have a chance at hooking a bass while they r spawn,pre,or postspawn.Now in the last 3 weeks I have hooked only 2 thankfully but the size of them was astonashing!The 1st was taken by a 3" grub while jigging for eyes,and the second was taken on a original rapala while fishing for eyes.I am not sight fishing for eyes for I was fishing deeper water and low and behold a smallie on both occasions was the biggest catch of the day!

The Question I have and there will be many different views I imagine is if you happen to land a "out of season fish"How does everyone feel about taking a quick snap shot of in the fish?Mind you the only reason for a pic was the size of them I mean they were the 2 of the 3 biggest smallies I have ever caught!Now they were both released as quickly as they should have been my partner was armed with the cam when I knew it was a big fish on my rope and out ,snap,and back home for him or her.I do not keep fish and do not look odley at anyone who does for their plate(within the MNR"s regs of course),though when a trophy is landed a pic for memories and to share with others will take the same amount of time with the fish as if it were deeply hooked and you wanted to see the fish survive right????

All replies good or against are greatly appreciated for these 2 pics sit upon my desktop waiting to be shared with others but before I do I would like to know others feelings about taking a pic of out of season fish.

Thx in advance all,Tight Lines F.F
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

In my mind...a definite no-no...

funny I just posted about this subject a second ago...handling OOS fish...

RJ
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Hey RJ thx for the reply and I agree with you in the water is the way to do it!Though I am am not tryin to cause a stir but your post said 5 mins the fish was revived and gone?My fish was out of the water for a max of 15 seconds and when it got back into the water it was gone quicker than a hingry eye on a leech!Like was posted my patner was equiped with the cam when I knew it was a bigger fish and after seeing the fish"IN THE WATER"I said one quick pic and she or he is gone!

If your Muskie and congrats on the fish,was hooked deep would you take the chance of hurting the fish by driving forseps into his or her throat in the water where you cannot see what your doing or would you take the fish out of water for 10 seconds to make sure your hook removal was done without harming the internals of the fish?

I know this is a touchy subject but just tryin to make sense of how A NO NO is wrong for 15 seconds is worse than 5 minutes?Even though the fish was in the water.

T.L F.F
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fish

Post by grumpy7790 »

OMG!!! OH NO!!! Quick where is that Crime Stoppers number????

....Don't forget to post those "No Bass Fishing" signs at the end of your dock........

and then the season opens and you see just a hand full of boats even fishing for bass.

I don't believe in bed ripping, but catching pre and post spawn fish is inevitable.

G
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Obviously no shot in that post G but in my post there was no "BED RIPPN"goin on it was deeper water and it as you said it is inevidable.

Sry but I ask because of a article "WHICH I AM WAITIN ON RESPONSE FROM"In In-Fisherman many moons ago "IN ONTARIO"a POSSIBLE next world record Muskie" was caught while trolling for pike was pictured in the magazine and measured"WHILE OUT OF SEASON"Because of its girth and length.

Just a weird question I guess, T.L F.F
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

Just my opinion but when I catch a large fish that happens to be out of season and a camera is at the ready I will snap a quick picture :roll: . That doesn't mean I'm targeting them for a picture or holding them while someone fumbles for the camera but if the camera's ready go for it :wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

FF,

I do see your point about the time line...I guess the rule of thumb may be to have the fish returned to the water asap....

Problem is...we may have boneheads running out to catch giant bass off the nest to show everyone the pics of them.... :roll: ...that's a slippery slope...applauding a giant OOS fish may just propel someone to seek the same accolades...

A guy caught a OOS giant muskie on Georgian Bay awhile back....snapped some pics of it with a vertical hold (a no-no)...and posted them on a board I frequent....he got absolutely ripped for it...and rightly so in my mind...

RJ
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Now that is a thread he should have been blasted for!!!!To hold a fish for a pic is one thing but to do it where it it strains the fish is unquestionably another!!!!

There was no bad thoughts to your catch RJ and as was mine I am happy to see that both of our fish saw another day!!!

And yes I must agree that people lurk on these boards just to see where the fish have been caught "NO MATTER THE SEASON OR SPECIES"And attack the waters we try to protect!!!

Though my pic I will send to whoever would like to see is a under belly hold and a quick release so may all who may read this and arent sure try to hold a fish in as a carefull way as possible In season or not!!!

Tight Lines to all!!!! F.F
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

FF,

You are right about alot of people reading this board... :D

But in the end we can't condone showing OOS fish pics....just too dangerous to start doing it...

We all love this past time/sport....we just have to manage and preserve our assets...we in Ottawa live in the hub of some of the greatest waters anywhere...Enjoy em!.. :D

RJ
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

RJ,you r absoloutly correct!I have not posted these pics for that soul reason,I do not want to promote out of season fishing but it was a ? about how others feel about taking the pics.My offer was to e-mail the shot to members of this board for the sight of the monster fish,I surley would not post the pic to say " HEY LOOK AT ME IM A POACHER!!!"

The location will remain under wraps and after that fish was released my brother and I vacated the spot in a real hurry just incase a walk by person or so that no others tried where we were.

Thx for the repilies RJ,

T.L F.F
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Floatfishin',

I think the bottom line is a quick release for these out of season bass (and others). However, I, too, have taken a rare, fast pic of the occasional out of season fish if it was of a particularly impressive size. Yet, there have been times where if the camera was not on the ready, I would forfeit that opportunity without a moment's hesitation. Obviously, NO WAY am I going to be there having a photo session spread, measuring the fish, etc. I'm talking "CLICK" and "bye-bye". Maybe 10 seconds. Even with in-season fish, I am a particular pain in the arse about making my fishing partner(s) move it along.

That being said, I certainly do not condone or encourage angling for out of season fish.

Can't always post the warm & fuzzy feeling threads, and I'm sure there will be a hard line drawn.

W.
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

preggers muskie definate
NO NO
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'll always have the camera ready. I wouldn't think twice about snapping a photo and then I'd enjoy posting it and listening to the pros and cons of my actions.

I respect others opinion on this, but if i'm not harming the fish and I'm not breaking any regs...I see no problem with it.
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

Post the pics!!!! A trophy fish only comes around once in along time, as long as your not targeting OOS fish nothing wrong with a quick pic!!! Just my .02 cents
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Please don't...

Post by Cancatchbass »

I would recommend against posting the pictures.

It just opens up a real can of worms.

Besides- one guy's "trophy" is another guy's average fish. I've seen guys mount a "once-in-a-lifetime" 4 pound largemouth. Or a barely legal muskie. :cry:

I agree with RJ. Posting photos of out-of-season fish could set a dangerous precedent. Unless they were 6 pounds or better, they're just good fish, not great, once-in-a-lifetime smallies. You will catch as good or better fish (in season) if you keep at it long enough. :lol: Then you can post the photos without any nagging doubts.

Just my opinion.

CCB